Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] If I root, will the SIM-unlock still work?

OP Gig103

26th June 2012, 01:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 1

105 posts
I'm working on changing to a Droid4 to get LTE.

My plan tonight is to call Verizon to have them unlock the Droid2's SIM slot so that when i travel, I can use the phone with prepaid SIM overseas.

But I also wanted to root the Droid2 so I can use Titanium Backup and move apps and their data to the new phone.

If I root after getting my SIM unlocked, will it break the unlock? I'm not sure if it's a software unlock or whatnot...
26th June 2012, 01:48 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
I am 99% sure that just by rooting your phone will not mess with your card. All rooting dose is give you access to all the files of your system so I think your safe

Sent from my Droid using XDA
26th June 2012, 05:46 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 12

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidjtc

I am 99% sure that just by rooting your phone will not mess with your card. All rooting dose is give you access to all the files of your system so I think your safe

SIM-unlocking a phone has nothing to do with setting or disabling a SIM PIN—it's something you do to the phone, not the card. So it isn't unreasonable to wonder whether rooting will interfere with SIM lock/unlock state.

That said, SIM lock/unlock state is completely separate from the phone's operating system (except that you must be running a stock Motorola firmware to SIM-unlock the phone). Once it's unlocked, it stays unlocked; rooting, unrooting, flashing different ROMs, etc. will not re-enable the SIM lock.
The Following User Says Thank You to jabberwockish For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2012, 09:58 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Phoenix

105 posts
Thank you! Now the question becomes, if I unlock the SIM with the existing stock ROM (629), then go through the rooting process, do I lose the change? Should I root, then call VZW?
26th June 2012, 10:44 PM   |  #5  
Flag Rausu
Thanks Meter: 338

721 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103

Thank you! Now the question becomes, if I unlock the SIM with the existing stock ROM (629), then go through the rooting process, do I lose the change? Should I root, then call VZW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwockish

That said, SIM lock/unlock state is completely separate from the phone's operating system (except that you must be running a stock Motorola firmware to SIM-unlock the phone). Once it's unlocked, it stays unlocked; rooting, unrooting, flashing different ROMs, etc. will not re-enable the SIM lock.

Reading, can you do it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gasai Yuno For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2012, 05:58 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 12

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103

Did you even read what I posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwockish

Once it's unlocked, it stays unlocked; rooting, unrooting, flashing different ROMs, etc. will not re-enable the SIM lock.

27th June 2012, 08:11 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Phoenix

105 posts
I guess not. Sorry.. When it said a stock rom was needed, I thought that meant it had to be stock to work. Rooting by itself doesn't affect the image on my HTC, but does for the d2.
Last edited by Gig103; 27th June 2012 at 08:14 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread