Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,938 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] If I root, will the SIM-unlock still work?

Tip us?

Gig103
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] If I root, will the SIM-unlock still work?

I'm working on changing to a Droid4 to get LTE.

My plan tonight is to call Verizon to have them unlock the Droid2's SIM slot so that when i travel, I can use the phone with prepaid SIM overseas.

But I also wanted to root the Droid2 so I can use Titanium Backup and move apps and their data to the new phone.

If I root after getting my SIM unlocked, will it break the unlock? I'm not sure if it's a software unlock or whatnot...
Devices:
  • HTC Rezound (rooted 4.0.3, TWRP recovery)
  • Samsung Galaxy S5 (Towelroot)
  • Asus Transformer (stock B70), with B90 dock

androidjtc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am 99% sure that just by rooting your phone will not mess with your card. All rooting dose is give you access to all the files of your system so I think your safe

Sent from my Droid using XDA

jabberwockish
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidjtc View Post
I am 99% sure that just by rooting your phone will not mess with your card. All rooting dose is give you access to all the files of your system so I think your safe
SIM-unlocking a phone has nothing to do with setting or disabling a SIM PIN—it's something you do to the phone, not the card. So it isn't unreasonable to wonder whether rooting will interfere with SIM lock/unlock state.

That said, SIM lock/unlock state is completely separate from the phone's operating system (except that you must be running a stock Motorola firmware to SIM-unlock the phone). Once it's unlocked, it stays unlocked; rooting, unrooting, flashing different ROMs, etc. will not re-enable the SIM lock.
The Following User Says Thank You to jabberwockish For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gig103
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you! Now the question becomes, if I unlock the SIM with the existing stock ROM (629), then go through the rooting process, do I lose the change? Should I root, then call VZW?
Devices:

Gasai Yuno
Old
Thanks Meter 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Thank you! Now the question becomes, if I unlock the SIM with the existing stock ROM (629), then go through the rooting process, do I lose the change? Should I root, then call VZW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwockish View Post
That said, SIM lock/unlock state is completely separate from the phone's operating system (except that you must be running a stock Motorola firmware to SIM-unlock the phone). Once it's unlocked, it stays unlocked; rooting, unrooting, flashing different ROMs, etc. will not re-enable the SIM lock.
Reading, can you do it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gasai Yuno For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jabberwockish
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Did you even read what I posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwockish View Post
Once it's unlocked, it stays unlocked; rooting, unrooting, flashing different ROMs, etc. will not re-enable the SIM lock.

Gig103
Old
(Last edited by Gig103; 27th June 2012 at 07:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I guess not. Sorry.. When it said a stock rom was needed, I thought that meant it had to be stock to work. Rooting by itself doesn't affect the image on my HTC, but does for the d2.
Devices: