Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Recovery] Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) - 2.2.1.5 (last update: 18 August 2012)

OP elegos

26th June 2012, 12:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 126

411 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello everybody!

Yesterday I was thinking about a new app for Android, and this app would be able to comunicate with the recovery to schedule things like backup and restore. In 2011 I released "ROM Updater" (not that big success though) which used extendedcommands, an extension to the recoveries made by the team of CyanogenMod (it was indeed created to let the CM updater work).

ClockworkMod Recovery adopted this system, but the author probably didn't want the competition, so started to release the ClockworkMod recovery with encrypted extendedcommands. You can still recompile CWM and redistribute with the unencrypted commands, though I decided to opt for something less rouge-ish (why the hell should I recompile something that already "works"?).

Team Win Recovery Project is a 100% open-source recovery with a new scripting language, called "OpenRecoveryScript". It's just like extendedcommands, but without all the implications of "Premium"* or in any case limited API.

Well, TWRP is not only that, it's a full-multitouch recovery, easy to use. It's being built for a list of devices, and this list will be updated every time someone will compile the recovery for his own device. I decided to compile it for the P7500, hoping it will be added soon to the official list. In the mean while, I'll release the builds right here.

I've built and tested the recovery image for the P7500 (WiFi+GSM) and it's been confirmed that it works on the P7510 device too (WiFi only).

Goo.im GT-P7500 TWRP repository
TechErrata GT-P7500 TWRP repository

TWRP 2.2.1.5 - GT-P7500
openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.5-gt-p7500.img (on Goo.im)
openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.5-gt-p7500.img (on TechErrata.com)

TWRP 2.2.2.0 - GT-P7510 (thanks to MapleSyrup)
openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-gt-p7510.img

How to flash:
- Copy the recovery into the storage partition (alias /sdcard)
- In adb, as root, execute dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2

Cheers

*I personally think that Koushik Dutta (the ClockworkMod guy), encrypting the commands with his distributions, played hard: ROM Manager is the "official" CyanogenMod updater (it's distributed along with any CM release even if it's not opensource (and the CM guys worked hard to take the closed-source apps out of their release)), de-facto everybody install the CWM recovery just 'cause it's already there (déjà vu Internet Explorer?). I think this is called "monopoly" and should be fought in any possible way.
Last edited by elegos; 29th August 2012 at 11:20 AM.
The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to elegos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2012, 04:16 PM   |  #2  
Flag Los Angles, CA
Thanks Meter: 12

81 posts
I'm all for true open source development, and will be watching your progress on this. Kudos and a thanks to you!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app
26th June 2012, 05:37 PM   |  #3  
Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 101

1,705 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'd be willing to test for the p4vzw. If you build an image for it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
26th June 2012, 07:33 PM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,564

869 posts
Donate to Me
More
This appears to work on my Wifi Galaxy Tab 10.1 (p7510). Although the log says "E: Unable to mount /sdcard" I can access the sdcard just fine. I tried updating to the latest droidbasement.com kernel and it flashed perfectly.

Oh, and thanks for the quick and easy non-odin way of flashing recoveries.
26th June 2012, 10:26 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milano

411 posts
Donate to Me
More
The recovery is already in the goo.im repository
http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/gt-p7500

The dropbox image is already update to fix the /sdcard "problem" ^^
The Following User Says Thank You to elegos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2012, 04:19 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 821

292 posts
Donate to Me
This is a really nice recovery, thanks for posting it. And I think that with this recovery I can flash a zip from the command line, this will be really useful for my scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegos

The dropbox image is already update to fix the /sdcard "problem" ^^

BTW, I'm compiling it for the GT-P7510 (p4wifi), everything works fine, but I don't know how to fix the /sdcard error message, could you please tell me how to do it?
28th June 2012, 10:37 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milano

411 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleSyrup

This is a really nice recovery, thanks for posting it. And I think that with this recovery I can flash a zip from the command line, this will be really useful for my scripts.

BTW, I'm compiling it for the GT-P7510 (p4wifi), everything works fine, but I don't know how to fix the /sdcard error message, could you please tell me how to do it?

http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/gt-p...7500-2.1.8.img

^-- this works for the 7510 too

BTW it's just a line in recovery.fstab in the device sources: comment the /sdcard one.
Last edited by elegos; 28th June 2012 at 10:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elegos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2012, 05:11 PM   |  #8  
Flag NYC, NY
Thanks Meter: 10

86 posts
More
Unhappy No Luck.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAccount

This appears to work on my Wifi Galaxy Tab 10.1 (p7510). Although the log says "E: Unable to mount /sdcard" I can access the sdcard just fine. I tried updating to the latest droidbasement.com kernel and it flashed perfectly.

Oh, and thanks for the quick and easy non-odin way of flashing recoveries.

Okay since I am ADB retarded, and I cannot get Odin3 to recognize my Tab, I am officially stuck. Adb will not install properly on my PC and I have watched every video and read all the tutorials.....done trying.......not even slightly interested anymore. Bottom line is I simply need a recovery that is as easy to flash as a ROM, is there even such a thing...., download-put on sd-boot into recovery-flash???
I really despise CWM, would rather do without it but I cannot get this to work either, my JellyBean dreams are drowning in my ICS sorrows.

'*Come to think of it! Since I paid over $200 bucks for a 2yr warranty and it's less than a yr old, I think I'll flash the JB ROM anyway, worse case scenario..., I brick. I'll just crack screen and get a new one!***
(now I'm thinking I should've thought of that sooner!)
27th June 2012, 12:45 AM   |  #9  
Flag Cambridge
Thanks Meter: 146

221 posts
Donate to Me
More
Would this work on a Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi (p4wifi)?

Sent from my Nexus One
27th June 2012, 12:53 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milano

411 posts
Donate to Me
More
According to AAccount yes. Please confirm this, so that I'll tell the TWRP guys to add the repo for that device too and I'll update the title of the conversation here.
The Following User Says Thank You to elegos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread