Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,165 Members 37,859 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Recovery] Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) - 2.2.1.5 (last update: 18 August 2012)

Tip us?

elegos
Old
(Last edited by elegos; 29th August 2012 at 10:20 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 125
Default [Recovery] Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) - 2.2.1.5 (last update: 18 August 2012)

Hello everybody!

Yesterday I was thinking about a new app for Android, and this app would be able to comunicate with the recovery to schedule things like backup and restore. In 2011 I released "ROM Updater" (not that big success though) which used extendedcommands, an extension to the recoveries made by the team of CyanogenMod (it was indeed created to let the CM updater work).

ClockworkMod Recovery adopted this system, but the author probably didn't want the competition, so started to release the ClockworkMod recovery with encrypted extendedcommands. You can still recompile CWM and redistribute with the unencrypted commands, though I decided to opt for something less rouge-ish (why the hell should I recompile something that already "works"?).

Team Win Recovery Project is a 100% open-source recovery with a new scripting language, called "OpenRecoveryScript". It's just like extendedcommands, but without all the implications of "Premium"* or in any case limited API.

Well, TWRP is not only that, it's a full-multitouch recovery, easy to use. It's being built for a list of devices, and this list will be updated every time someone will compile the recovery for his own device. I decided to compile it for the P7500, hoping it will be added soon to the official list. In the mean while, I'll release the builds right here.

I've built and tested the recovery image for the P7500 (WiFi+GSM) and it's been confirmed that it works on the P7510 device too (WiFi only).

Goo.im GT-P7500 TWRP repository
TechErrata GT-P7500 TWRP repository

TWRP 2.2.1.5 - GT-P7500
openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.5-gt-p7500.img (on Goo.im)
openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.5-gt-p7500.img (on TechErrata.com)

TWRP 2.2.2.0 - GT-P7510 (thanks to MapleSyrup)
openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-gt-p7510.img

How to flash:
- Copy the recovery into the storage partition (alias /sdcard)
- In adb, as root, execute dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2

Cheers

*I personally think that Koushik Dutta (the ClockworkMod guy), encrypting the commands with his distributions, played hard: ROM Manager is the "official" CyanogenMod updater (it's distributed along with any CM release even if it's not opensource (and the CM guys worked hard to take the closed-source apps out of their release)), de-facto everybody install the CWM recovery just 'cause it's already there (déjà vu Internet Explorer?). I think this is called "monopoly" and should be fought in any possible way.
The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to elegos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Swammy1979
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I'm all for true open source development, and will be watching your progress on this. Kudos and a thanks to you!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app

jamezelle
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 101

DONATE TO ME
I'd be willing to test for the p4vzw. If you build an image for it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
------------------------------------------------------
Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus VZW LTE: latest AOKP
HTC Thunderbolt: ROOTED S-OFF: Retired
Samsung Fascinate: ROOTED: My MIUI Port with Voodoo
Motorola Droid: ROOTED: My MIUI Port
HTC Droid ERIS: ROOTED: !CRACKED SCREEN! :sad-face: still half-way works My Sense-able 3.1
XV6900: (RIP)
T-mobile wing: Retired(lost)
------------------------------------------------------

follow me on twitter

www.jamezelle.com Work in progress...
Like what I do? Feel free to

AAccount
Old
Thanks Meter 1322

DONATE TO ME
This appears to work on my Wifi Galaxy Tab 10.1 (p7510). Although the log says "E: Unable to mount /sdcard" I can access the sdcard just fine. I tried updating to the latest droidbasement.com kernel and it flashed perfectly.

Oh, and thanks for the quick and easy non-odin way of flashing recoveries.

elegos
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 125
The recovery is already in the goo.im repository
http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/gt-p7500

The dropbox image is already update to fix the /sdcard "problem" ^^
The Following User Says Thank You to elegos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wollac11
Old
Thanks Meter 129

DONATE TO ME
Would this work on a Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi (p4wifi)?

Sent from my Nexus One

Previous Devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16GB WiFi (sold)

elegos
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 125
According to AAccount yes. Please confirm this, so that I'll tell the TWRP guys to add the repo for that device too and I'll update the title of the conversation here.
The Following User Says Thank You to elegos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rekrapg
Old
Thanks Meter 327

DONATE TO ME
I can say without a doubt that this is the best recovery I have used on any device in my 3 years with android phones. Wow! Graphics a bit grainy on the p7500, but functionality is fantastic! Thanks!
Rekrapg

Devices: Nexus 4, Nexus 7 - CM11 - Built by me

Galaxy Nexus - out of retirement running Ubuntu Touch

Retired: HTC Magic, Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G, Samsung Galaxy Note II N7105 (LTE)

lorinkundert
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Very nice recovery system, good to see other options. HTC users had several choices such as AmonRa and 4ext.

atermify
Old
(Last edited by atermify; 27th June 2012 at 03:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Can confirm that it works on the WiFi only version. Thanks for the options , friend. Been running TWRP on my One X since the boot loader was unlocked, and I was missing it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
Current
LG Nexus 4:
Bootloader: Unlocked
ROM: Stock Rooted 4.3

ASUS Transformer TF300T:
Bootloader: Unlocked
ROM: AOKP 4.2.2

The Following User Says Thank You to atermify For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]