5,593,793 Members 44,345 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SD Card Configuration : Ext and Swap Partition

Tip us?
 
optimusodd
Old
(Last edited by optimusodd; 29th June 2012 at 07:54 PM.) Reason: Additional Information
#1  
optimusodd's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 337
Join Date: Mar 2011
Question [Q] SD Card Configuration : Ext and Swap Partition

Hey,I am going to "clean" install CM 7.2 Stable.I am done with Custom MTD Partitions and want to set up an ext partition on the SD card and move apps there.
Preparing for "S2E"(simple2ext:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikun.s2e&hl=en )

I have got 2GB SD Card.
What should be the ideal configuration for a 2GB card in terms of :
(1)Ext Size
(2)Swap size

And what should it be ? Ext2 or Ext4 ?
According to this :http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1432459
Choose Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4 for partition type based on whether your kernel supports Ext4. If it does choose it! If you don't know choose Ext2 to be safe.” Now how to find out whether your kernel supports it or not ?

Does "swap" really make any difference ?What’s up with this “swap” partition ?
It’s so confusing.Some people claim that “swap” is like virtual RAM and more RAM means a more efficient (and faster) device.
Here are the posts supporting “swap” :
http://www.mod2xtreme.com/showthread...Swap-Partition
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/3...91#entry330791
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/4...buzz-wildfire/

While according to “Cyanogenmod” (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Swap_and_Compcache ) and some member swap doesn’t make any diff .on android devices.
If that’s true and swape is useless then why so many forums going gaga over it on XDA at the first place ???It makes no sense. So bewildering.

Any suggestion ?Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
 
Wasimk32
Old
#2  
Wasimk32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1004
Posts: 1,594
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Latur

 
DONATE TO ME
You should try 256Mb or 512Mb ext2 partition as per your convenience with 0 swap size.
After partitioning your card you need to install an a2sd script and use a2sdgui app to move apps.
Or else you could install link2sd app and i guess that moves apps to ext partition without needing a script.(haven't tried it though)
The Following User Says Thank You to Wasimk32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
optimusodd
Old
#3  
optimusodd's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 337
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasimk32 View Post
You should try 256Mb or 512Mb ext2 partition as per your convenience with 0 swap size.
After partitioning your card you need to install an a2sd script and use a2sdgui app to move apps.
Or else you could install link2sd app and i guess that moves apps to ext partition without needing a script.(haven't tried it though)
Thanks for the reply,so you mean "swap" doesn't make any difference in speed and efficiency ?

I am a bit baffled.How about "S2E (simple2ext)" method ?
I have read about that here :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1189249
Is that a good idea ?Any suggestion ?Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
 
Wasimk32
Old
#4  
Wasimk32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1004
Posts: 1,594
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Latur

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusodd View Post
Thanks for the reply,so you mean "swap" doesn't make any difference in speed and efficiency ?

I am a bit baffled.How about "S2E (simple2ext)" method ?
I have read about that here :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1189249
Is that a good idea ?Any suggestion ?Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Have a nandroid backup and give it a try.
 
optimusodd
Old
#5  
optimusodd's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 337
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasimk32 View Post
Have a nandroid backup and give it a try.
Okay,What about "swap" ?
Why do some guys use swap ?Is it unnecessary ?
Here :Post #12:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1189249&page=2

What should it be ? ext2 or ext4 ?
 
Wasimk32
Old
#6  
Wasimk32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1004
Posts: 1,594
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Latur

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusodd View Post
Okay,What about "swap" ?
Why do some guys use swap ?Is it unnecessary ?
Here :Post #12:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1189249&page=2

What should it be ? ext2 or ext4 ?
Swap is used when you run out of RAM space.I dont think we need it on our wildfire.Just select 0 as swap size.create SD partition from recovery,that would be easy as you don't need to be confused between ext2 or ext4.
 
optimusodd
Old
#7  
optimusodd's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 337
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasimk32 View Post
Swap is used when you run out of RAM space.I dont think we need it on our wildfire.Just select 0 as swap size.create SD partition from recovery,that would be easy as you don't need to be confused between ext2 or ext4.
I have read in some forums that "swap" increases the RAM i.e more speed and efficiency,no ???


Here is the page:
http://www.mod2xtreme.com/showthread...Swap-Partition

Just wondering,if that can be done on Wildfire.
 
Scratch0805
Old
#8  
Scratch0805's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1193
Posts: 2,046
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sheffield
Android apps are specially programed to write out very specific information, making Android's Memory Manager more efficient that swap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

My Devices
Samsung Galaxy S2
Asus Nexus 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
2 x Samsung Galaxy Ace 5380i's
HTC Wildfire

mycolourscreen

My Dropbox
 
optimusodd
Old
#9  
optimusodd's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 337
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch0805 View Post
Android apps are specially programed to write out very specific information, making Android's Memory Manager more efficient that swap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
That means this "swap" thing is just a hype and of no use on Android devices ?
 
Scratch0805
Old
#10  
Scratch0805's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1193
Posts: 2,046
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sheffield
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusodd View Post
That means this "swap" thing is just a hype and of no use on Android devices ?
You've kind of answered your own question with the link you've provided, if you think swap may be worth using, backup your SD card create a swap partition and give it a run for a while, if you think it isnt then backup everything again and create a partition without it. I had swap enabled when I first created a partition but saw no benefit at all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

My Devices
Samsung Galaxy S2
Asus Nexus 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
2 x Samsung Galaxy Ace 5380i's
HTC Wildfire

mycolourscreen

My Dropbox

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scratch0805 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes