Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 52,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The nexus 7 is the Asus pad Me370t!

Tip us?

yerand
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default The nexus 7 is the Asus pad Me370t!

I've attached a screenshot of a page from the nexus 7 guide stating that the nexus 7 is the Asus pad me370t. So, what do you guys make of this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1340941366869.jpg
Views:	2970
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1163593  

jcracken
Old
Thanks Meter 124

DONATE TO ME
The Verge actually investigated this quite a bit:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/28/31...-google-nvidia
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-i777
Probably using my Nexus 7 right now
AT&T HTC One

HELLO YES WAT IS PHONE

Solar.Plexus
Old
Thanks Meter 321
Wow, I am very very shocked and disappointed this. I've been looking forward to the actual MeMO 370T device since it was first seen back in January. For some reason I had really expected Asus to release its own 7 inch tablet.
R800x: Stock ROM, modified
NOOK Tablet 16GB: LiquidSmooth ROM
Eee Pad SL101 32GB White: need to get rid of
TF700T 64GB Champagne: also need to get rid of
TF701T 32GB Gray: Full Stock

e.mote
Old
Thanks Meter 873
>I had really expected Asus to release its own 7 inch tablet.

Unlikely, since it would have to beat the Nexus 7 which is said as being sold at cost.

A great deal of fuss was made over Microsoft Surface "killing" Windows HW vendors, and curiously, almost nothing about the Nexus 7 doing the same. The irony is that Surface will have minimal impact, while N7 will almost certainly kill off any 7" Android tab this year.

Not only does N7 hit the magic $200 point, it has good hardware, official support, and 4.1. There is no way any 7" tab can match that. The only possible competitor would be if Apple does the rumored 7" mini iPad at $250-300.

I'm wondering what Amazon's move will be, as per the above I don't see how a 7" KF2 can compete. My projection is that it will cede the 7" space, and upping the KF2 to the 8" or 9" size, say, for $250. The orig KF stays on, but lowered to $150.

7" is good for reading, but poor for video playback. Since video consumption is vastly more popular than e-reading, an 8" or 9" would be a step forward. It would be better for video, and still be suitable for one-hand use.

Ditto for Nook, although if MS' investment in B&N is any indication, we'll probably see a Nook powered by WinRT this year.

Solar.Plexus
Old
Thanks Meter 321
I thought I had read reports of Asus releasing their own 7 inch tablet in August that undercut the 8GB N7 by about $20. Still, this isn't really what I was hoping for if it comes to be.
R800x: Stock ROM, modified
NOOK Tablet 16GB: LiquidSmooth ROM
Eee Pad SL101 32GB White: need to get rid of
TF700T 64GB Champagne: also need to get rid of
TF701T 32GB Gray: Full Stock

gkpm
Old
Thanks Meter 8
It's almost like the Me370t, but with the mini HDMI port removed (the original had it)

Thanks Google for saving the $0.10 that component would cost
The Following User Says Thank You to gkpm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

m11kkaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,402

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkpm View Post
Thanks Google for saving the $0.10 that component would cost
That would be more than $0.10. For every patented chip/port/protocol/software you are building into your device you have to pay licence costs per sold device.
I don't know how much exactly but I think the tablet would be cost 10-20$ more.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/m11kkaa

fenturi
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Well I'm sure the HDMI out being removed had a lot more to do with the Q

gkpm
Old
(Last edited by gkpm; 29th June 2012 at 02:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by m11kkaa View Post
That would be more than $0.10. For every patented chip/port/protocol/software you are building into your device you have to pay licence costs per sold device.
I don't know how much exactly but I think the tablet would be cost 10-20$ more.
I'm sorry but that's nonsense, no way it costs that much. For example the Raspberry Pi has a HDMI port and costs only $25.

I can't link to sites yet, but if you look up the HDMI licensing website and see under Fees and Royalties section the licensing cost ranges from $0.04 to $0.15 per end user, depending on quantity (obviously a mass produced device like this will be in the lower bands)

Maybe add another $0.05-$0.10 for the physical connector, if that. We're talking 20 cents max here.

miketoasty
Old
Thanks Meter 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkpm View Post
I'm sorry but that's nonsense, no way it costs that much. For example the Raspberry Pi has a HDMI port and costs only $25.

I can't link to sites yet, but if you look up the HDMI licensing website and see under Fees and Royalties section the licensing cost ranges from $0.04 to $0.15 per end user, depending on quantity (obviously a mass produced device like this will be in the lower bands)

Maybe add another $0.05-$0.10 for the physical connector, if that. We're talking 20 cents max here.
No need to argue, the device doesn't have it, get over it. I understand it would have been cheap to add this, but if you look at the other device Google released, the Q, you will see why they didn't.