Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 47,599 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 BAD screen flicker!

Tip us?

Nascar Dog
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
Did the Google support guy say what the CSSN of the newer build is???
I'm fairly certain it's a hardware bug too...getting my 3rd one and I'll bet it flickers too
No, he just said there are newer builds that address this issue.
It will be up to us to figure out from the box labels what builds are faulty and which ones work.
I am going to pick another one up now and will report the info on the box label.

Would be nice if others can share the info on their box labels as well.

igjoe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post
No, he just said there are newer builds that address this issue.
It will be up to us to figure out from the box labels what builds are faulty and which ones work.
I am going to pick another one up now and will report the info on the box label.

Would be nice if others can share the info on their box labels as well.
What box info do we need? I took a pic of mine before I returned my flickering 16gb version. I'm waiting to buy another one until I can confirm there's a way to tell it's a new non-flickering version.

adamhlj
Old
Thanks Meter 61
I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue, but in Google books there is another auto brightness feature that is selected to on by default. I turned it off and the flickering at the lowest setting in the tablet display settings seems to have gone away for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
I love lamp...

igjoe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhlj View Post
I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue, but in Google books there is another auto brightness feature that is selected to on by default. I turned it off and the flickering at the lowest setting in the tablet display settings seems to have gone away for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Is your book completely downloaded? The flickering seems to appear when data is transferring over WiFi.

Nascar Dog
Old
(Last edited by Nascar Dog; 24th July 2012 at 07:21 PM.) Reason: Added a picture of the initial setup screen
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by igjoe View Post
What box info do we need? I took a pic of mine before I returned my flickering 16gb version. I'm waiting to buy another one until I can confirm there's a way to tell it's a new non-flickering version.
Mine has a label on both ends.
One is English and the other is French

On the English one there is a Customer P/N a P/N and a Check Number.
Lets see if those are the same for all users.

On the one I just picked up at Best Buy in Canada:
Customer P/N = NEXUS7 ASUS - 1B16 - CB
P/N = AB NEXUS7 ASUS 18/T3DL/16/1G/Y
Check Number 0747

Update
So far no flicker on this new one. Doing the same things I did on the other one that flickers bad.
One difference is they changed the initial start up screens a bit. Now after entering your gmail account info it asks for a credit card before giving you the $25.00 Play Store credit.
My old one automatically applied the credit and sent me an e-mail confirming this. No credit card info required.

New Discovery
If you have a very strong WiFi signal (All bars lit up) the Nexus 7 will not flicker.
That is why the flicker went away on my Nexus 7 last night. I was sitting in a strong signal location.
When I went upstairs I had a weaker signal and that is when the flicker was noticeable again.
Today at work, I connected my newest Nexus 7 to my WiFi hotspot on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 which has a nice strong signal and that is why I thought I had a fixed one.
When I changed my WiFi to a weak network and only had 1 bar, the flicker was present.

I connected my old Nexus 7 to my BlackBerry WiFi hotspot and the flicker was gone.

So, that tells me the WiFi chip in the Nexus 7 is a cheap piece of crapolla.

Here is the new setup screen:

This is new, used to just give the $25.00 credit automatically, now you need to provide a Credit Card before getting the $25.00
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nascar Dog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

igjoe
Old
(Last edited by igjoe; 30th July 2012 at 05:33 AM.) Reason: deleted
Thanks Meter 0
deleted

Nascar Dog
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Default New Discovery

If you have a very strong WiFi signal (All bars lit up) the Nexus 7 will not flicker.

That is why the flicker went away on my Nexus 7 last night. I was sitting in a strong signal location.
When I went upstairs I had a weaker signal and that is when the flicker was noticeable again.
Today at work, I connected my newest Nexus 7 to my WiFi hotspot on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 which has a nice strong signal and that is why I thought I had a fixed one.
When I changed my WiFi to a weak network and only had 1 bar, the flicker was present.

I connected my old Nexus 7 (that had the flicker problem) to my BlackBerry WiFi hotspot and the flicker was gone.

So, that tells me the WiFi chip in the Nexus 7 is a cheap piece of crapolla.

Can someone with the flicker problem confirm that they do not have a strong WiFi signal when it is flickering?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nascar Dog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kenyee
Old
(Last edited by kenyee; 24th July 2012 at 07:24 PM.) Reason: added batch info
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post
Can someone with the flicker problem confirm that they do not have a strong WiFi signal when it is flickering?
Yep...I reported this on the Android Central forums last week.

I think the wifi chip has to transmit stronger when there's a weak signal so it sucks more juice, which causes a droop in the backlight power circuit, then a surge as power comes back to it...the weaker the signal, the bigger the droop. That's why I think they can do a workaround that would weaken wifi performance by having it transmit at lower power or lower speed. The real fix is more caps on the power circuit for the backlight though...

p.s., and when Google was replacing tablets w/ the washed out screens, they asked for the last 3 digits of the CSSN number on the box. It's some sort of batch number....my last 4 digits are 0x101a and it still has the flicker issue...
The Following User Says Thank You to kenyee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nascar Dog
Old
(Last edited by Nascar Dog; 24th July 2012 at 07:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
Yep...I reported this on the Android Central forums last week.

I think the wifi chip has to transmit stronger when there's a weak signal so it sucks more juice, which causes a droop in the backlight power circuit, then a surge as power comes back to it...the weaker the signal, the bigger the droop. That's why I think they can do a workaround that would weaken wifi performance by having it transmit at lower power or lower speed. The real fix is more caps on the power circuit for the backlight though...
Thank-you for the confirmation that I am not loosing my mind after all this testing.
I found your post in the other forum. Funny to see the process of figuring out the problem...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post1989544

Thank god for the generous return policy at Best Buy.

Guess I better get a wifi extender for my upstairs.

potentiality
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thank you for your work NASCAR. However we still need an official response from Google. We also need the Android sites to admit this.

Steps to reproduce for ALL tablets.

1. Weak WiFi signal.
2. Backlight dimmed to under 30%.
3. A program that constantly accesses the net. Such as Google Maps.

All Nexus 7 units will experience this issue. There is no fix until a newer hardware revision is made. Again, that will take a few weeks. Screwing us over with limited RMA timeline.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to potentiality For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]