[HOW TO] Easiest Root and Recovery: SGS3 LTE Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, Rogers

30th June 2012, 11:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,009

32 posts
Follow Team Epic's SGS3 Google+ page for the latest development news and tips relevant to Sprint SGS3!

QBKing77's CWM and Root .zip Install Video

Link: CWM Recovery for all SGS3 LTE variants
Instructions for CWM recovery to enable rooting and customization of all SGS3 LTE variants. This is confirmed to work great on Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile and Rogers variants.

EDIT: Please note if you just received a new Sprint S3 and after following this procedure you cannot access internal or external storage from CWM please see THIS THREAD
  • Updated: 6/30/2012
  • version 4: Excludes /data/media from backups.

Link: Root from Recovery
Simply flash this.zip in CWM and your phone is rooted! This is the easiest method to root the stock Samsung ROM.
  • Updated: 7/3/2012
  • version 5: Now automatically cleans out old root files to prevent conflicts. This should fix failure to root.
  • version 4: Removes /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p left by OTA updates in order to preserve stock recovery. Read the CWM instructions carefully!

Link: Unroot .zip and Stock Restore
Follow these insructions to unroot and restore the modification status to "Normal".

CyanogenMod's Team Epic specializes in Sprint's flagship Android phones on Sprint.
If you appreciate our work, please consider supporting us with a tiny contribution. Thanks!
Last edited by KennyG123; 18th August 2013 at 04:02 PM.
The Following 127 Users Say Thank You to CMTeamEpic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2012, 11:26 PM   |  #2  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,091

312 posts
Donate to Me
News: Important News for Sprint's LF9 OTA Update
News: Important News for Sprint's LF9 OTA Update

6/30/2012:
  • Sprint SGS3 received the LF9 OTA update from Sprint today. If you used our previous root method, applying this OTA update works. After applying the update, you need to flash the latest version of our Root .zip in order to retain custom recovery and root status. You may also want to upgrade to CWM for SGS3 LTE variants version 4 as it contains an important fix for backups.
  • Reportedly LF9 fixes the Google Wallet not Certified issue.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wtogami For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2012, 11:48 PM   |  #3  
Flag 818
Thanks Meter: 582

2,350 posts
More
sweet v4 did the trick. the OTA broke recovery and I was getting nervous lol
1st July 2012, 12:36 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

52 posts
More
Did not fix the Google wallet issue for me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium
1st July 2012, 01:25 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 137

544 posts
Do I have to re root (flash the root from recovery.zip) after updating from the oldest CWM to the newest?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
1st July 2012, 01:54 AM   |  #6  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,091

312 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_M_A_G_E

Did not fix the Google wallet issue for me

I dunno. It worked on two of the dev's phones.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled26

Do I have to re root (flash the root from recovery.zip) after updating from the oldest CWM to the newest?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

No, although you need Root .zip v4 after you upgrade to yesterday's OTA.
1st July 2012, 04:34 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 4

52 posts
More
Funny thing is I did not have a problem with wallet before I tried to update ...the update failed in cwm obviously

1st July 2012, 07:21 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 189

349 posts
More
Looks too easy but can't wait to root
1st July 2012, 08:06 AM   |  #9  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 226

689 posts
Donate to Me
ODIN'd back to stock, found my security update inside the internal cache (stock recovery) and was able to run it from there just fine....yup, had unrooted and run the update; it downloaded but failed to activate.

ODIN'd cwm/rooted then opened wallet, activation went fine........after, ran the Store update: now I get the Unsupported Device message (4 rooted devices)............go figure!

** still, wallet works just fine! Rooted users, just ignore the message........all wallet users should be aware: your working wallet needs to be reset direct from the open app (not cache/not data) PRIOR to flash or device hard reset. Otherwise you may end up borking your wallet and bricking the secure element. So, prior to flash: open wallet then navigate Menu/Settings/Reset google wallet.........now you're free to flash.

sent from today's android
Last edited by sonarchist; 1st July 2012 at 02:58 PM.
1st July 2012, 04:09 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

48 posts
Question is there an app for protecting root while keeping up with latest OTA
since voodoo root keeper does not work with the galaxy S3, If someone can recommend a procedure/process to follow to maintain root and keep up with sprints updates please?

I'm just trying to figure out what the best & least time consuming way to maintain root and keep up with sprints updates please?

hopefully my questions made sense to you all...thank you all (in advance) for helping/answering my questions...

-peace

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm, lte, recovery, root, sgs3
Previous Thread Next Thread