Hello everyone! Figured I'd put together a step-by-step guide for those trying to figure out how to install HSPL and roms onto their AT&T branded HTC Titans.
- You are currently required to debrand your phone. DO NOT continue further with this guide if you do not wish to remove your AT&T branding.
- This guide is NOT for the HTC Titan II. There is currently, to my knowledge, no way in being able to install HSPL on the Titan II as of this time. So please, do not even attempt to go through with this guide with your Titan II. Not only will it not work, but you never know if doing so will damage your phone.
- ***For the record, you CANNOT hold me nor those credited below responsible for any mishaps and/or catastrophic failures with your phone. Not even when T-800s start to emerge from your phone! You are following this guide at your own free will and discretion, and as such, it is your own responsibility if you break your phone. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE: read this guide slowly and carefully. Read it through several times, just so you are absolutely sure you understand the instructions. If you feel as though you're not entirely sure what to do on this guide, DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER. Instead, you may post your question down below and I'll try to answer it as best as I can. But I cannot guarantee you an answer nor any help in general. You have been warned.***
Pre-installation notes: Due to how the process is still somewhat finicky at best, this guide is NOT guaranteed to work. Also, you have no choice at this time besides having to make a goldcard. There's just no other way.
Also, as listed in DFT's thread: Only Titan phones that have the following MIDs will work: " 'PI39****", 'PI391100', "PI391000' " Also, they've posted an issue about not updating to 4.xx.xxxx.xx roms, as there is an issue with this. Please thoroughly read the thread before proceeding: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1684912
However, if you do follow the guide properly and with a little lady luck on your side, this guide should help you debrand your Titan, as well as install HSPL on it. If I am missing anything about this guide, please inform as soon as possible, as so I can update this guide accordingly and credit you.
Also, for those looking for a more visual aid, please view Budniu's video on downgrading SPL's and using the goldcard method down below past the written instructions. If they helped you, please thank him!!
-Y-USB cable. I actually made my own easily. I'll post pictures in the following post on how to make your own without soldering.
-1 or 2 gb SD or microSD card. To my experience and knowledge, SDHC and SDXC cards DO NOT work. I wasted money figuring that out the hard way. The way it worked for me was with a 2gb microSD card from Sony that came with the SD card adapter.
-SD card reader, preferably a single-SD card port on it. In my experience, I tried two multi-card readers with no avail. I purchased a regular SD card reader and it worked wonders.
-Optional: Flash drive*
*This is optional, due to the fact that I never had any luck in using a flash drive as my gold card. It may or may not work for you, but the chances of it not working are higher than getting an SD card that won't work. At least, that's just how my experience with this went.
Software (links provided below):
-HTC Eternity EU official rom 1.09.401.02, link will be provided once upload is complete. File size is 410 mb, so be forewarned.
UPDATE: As found by XDA member Prerna, you do not need to downgrade with a stock Cingular rom prior to flashing a stock Euro rom. Thank you!
UPDATE #2According to both members from different threads, as well as those that have contacted me about this, you are no longer able to download the European rom from its original location. I have thus uploaded it via DropBox, and a link to the download has been provided below. Thank you for notifying me!
*Update*: I forgot to add this, which may account to the gold-card method not working out for you, but you must change the name of the rom you are putting on the SD card BEFORE you make it a goldcard to "ETERIMG.nbh". Otherwise, the phone will most likely not be able to read the .nbh file. Sorry for this!!
Instructions for debranding:
I. Backup anything you don't want to lose from your phone. This process will delete everything.
II. Step Two has been removed as it is now a unnecessary step in this process as noted above.
III. Create your goldcard and debrand your phone:
Note: As mentioned by Prerna, he noted that a manual reboot after using the goldcard method was required. In my case, my phone rebooted on its own; perhaps this may have been just a fluke, I'm not entirely sure. However, based on how sure he was about this, I would then like to add that it is more than likely that you are required to reboot the phone from USB host mode manually to the SPL screen after flashing.
- i. Insert your SD card into your card reader and plug into your computer. If you're using a flash drive, just follow this guide the same way.
- ii. Once your memory shows up completely, go to "My Computer", right click on where your SD will be shown, and click on "format". Make sure that under "File System" says "FAT32" and under"Allocation unit size" is "4096". IT CANNOT BE ANYTHING ELSE. Whether or not these settings were enabled, select "Start", only if "Quick Format" is selected. Once it completes formatting, time to find your downloaded goldcard maker.
- iii. Open up the goldcard maker by right-click, select "Run as Administrator". When it opens, make sure your SD card appears in the drop-down box next to "HTC MMC:".
- iv. Ignoring the top portion with the CID options, go down to where it says "Load GoldCard.img". Wherever you downloaded the goldcard image, select it and click "open".
- v. Click on "Patch MMC" and wait for it to complete. The debug log window will let you know whether or not your card was successfully completed.
- vi. Once you successfully made your goldcard, you will then drag and drop the .nbh image file into the SD card. Once completed, safely eject your SD card and reader.
- vii. Next, plug the reader with the card into one of the female ends of your y-cable (assuming you either purchased one with a female end on it or you followed my guide below). With the power-only male end of your cable, plug that either into a wall charger or into your pc (preferably a back port if on a desktop).
- viii. Next, you want to power off your phone, give it a kiss, and boot it into USB-Host mode. The way I did this was while holding the Volume-Down button and the Camera button, I plugged my micro-usb end into the phone, while the micro-usb cord was plug into my y-usb cable. This will make the phone boot on its own and into USB-Host mode.
- ix. If you did the following correctly, your phone will display "Entering USB-Host mode..." momentarily, before switching to a "loading" screen. You should hopefully then see the phone reading the image file on the SD card and performing the debranding. Your phone will reboot one or two times back into USB mode.
- x. If the debranding was a success, your phone *will reboot back into SPL mode with the update rom version*. In my case, I rebooted my phone back to normal instead. If the startup screen says "HTC X310e", then the debranding is a success.
*As mentioned above, it is more than likely that the phone WILL NOT reboot back to SPL mode on its own. In my experience, it did. Either way, if your phone does not reboot back into SPL mode on its own, then simply reboot the phone back into SPL mode via Volume UP+DOWN+Power button.
IV. Goldcard part II:
- i. After confirming that you DO now have an unbranded Titan, you will now proceed to redoing the gold card method once more. This time, however, you need to delete the .nbh image you placed on your card and place the one that can be found in the DFT .rar you downloaded earlier. To find it, simply extract the contents, navigate through >DFT_HSPL_WP7SG1>1_SPL205>TITAN>ETERIMG.nbh.
- ii. Select this file and place it onto your goldcard (assuming you plugged it back into your computer properly (not attached to the y-cable) and deleted the previous ETERIMG.nbh file on it.
- iii. Once it's on the SD card, remove it once again and follow steps "vi." through "viii." of the steps for the goldcard instructions, disregarding anything about it being debranded. This is only an upgrade flash.
- iv. Once it reboots properly back into the SPL screen on its own**, make sure that the rom version has been updated to 2.5.xxxx.xx. If not, you may have done something wrong, and if you're able to, redo the process more carefully.
**Again, as mentioned above, I've been told that this isn't entirely true. It's more than likely that the phone will not reboot back into SPL mode after flashing. If it hasn't, manually reboot into SPL mode. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
- i. Once confirming you have 2.5.xxxx.xx on your SPL screen, you will now proceed to the final part: enabling HSPL. What you will need to do is navigate once more into "DFT_HSPL_WP7SG1" (the .rar file you downloaded from DFT), and go here: >DFT_HSPL_WP7SG1>2_HSPL>DFT_HSPL_WP7SG1_INSTALL.ex e. Open the executable and properly read the instructions.
- ii. Enter SPL once more on your phone and plug it into your computer, making sure that it says "usb" in black letters towards the bottom portion of the screen.
- iii. Click next on the program and read careful about what requirements you will need on the computer. Typically, it should all be there, but it never hurts to make sure.
- iv. Take a deep breath and click next. It will attempt to connect to the phone. If it succeeds, continue reading the instructions the program will display. If it does not work, recheck your wire connection and that you have spl 2.5.xxxx.xx on your device, and that it is in SPL mode.
- v. Make sure you select the rom version that you have (it should be the only selection there, but just make sure it is before continuing). Select next once you've made your selection.
- vi. It will install HSPL. Once completed, the phone may reboot itself back into SPL mode. If it has succeeded, underneath where it shows your rom version, it will either have "DFT" or "CotullaH" written there. Mine says "CotullaH".
-If there's anything that I may have missed whilst writing this guide, please do not hesitate in leaving a reply in this thread. As you can see, it is somewhat long and complicated, and I wouldn't be surprised if I had forgotten to add something. So please, let me know so I can update this guide as well as give you credit. Thank you and congratulations if the guide worked!!
Visual aid provided by Budniu:
Post-installation notes: As stated above, this is NOT guaranteed to work. It had happened to work out for me quite well and figured that perhaps this may work for others as well.
Thanks notes: As I've been here for about a year or two but haven't really posted much, I don't entirely care whether or not I receive any thanks. But if this guide worked for you, then it would be mucho appreciated Also, you should thank those who I've credited down below for their contributions in making this guide possible for you guys. They deserve it 100%. Downloads are just past the credits. Happy flashing, everyone!!
Credits: The following people/teams are to be credited for their contributions to this guide as follows:
- -Team DFT > for creating this HSPL method possible for our Titans!
- -MarysFetus > for his excellent guide on how to make and use a goldcard (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1597837)
- -Football > for providing the community with the original shipped Eternity roms
- -jbowes > for his excellent guide on how to make your own y-usb cable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10LgZFIawo
- -Budniu > for providing an excellent video guide on how to install HSPL via goldcard method for WP7 phones.
- -Prerna > For his findings and contributions to this guide!
- - And anyone else I may have forgotten to mention. If so, please just leave a post below and I'll credit appropriately!
-DFT HSPL and 2.05 SPL: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1684912
-Goldcard maker & image: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1597837
-Cingular Eternity Rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1334468
-European Eternity Rom: No longer uploading the file for some time, if I have the time, I'll upload it onto a storage website.