OP craigacgomez

5th November 2013, 06:06 PM   |  #431  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 95

434 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixjai

How did you get it to work after deleting the odex files? After deleting the odex files, the Email app is not showing up on my Nexus 5 anymore.

Next, copy the apks and fix permissions

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
5th November 2013, 06:28 PM   |  #432  
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 3

41 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboyyyy

you can either remove or rename your old email.apk and exchange2.apk as well as their odex files then put these new email files in there with root explorer or whatever. change permissions to rw-r-r. then reboot the phone and it should all be working. If no email app appeared after your removed the odex files, that is because you either didn't change permissions to the new apks you moved into the system/app or because you never moved them in there in the first place, they don't need odex files to run.

It is working now. I just needed to restart my launcher for the Email app to show up. Thanks guys.
Last edited by felixjai; 5th November 2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: tried again, it's working
5th November 2013, 06:40 PM   |  #433  
Thanks Meter: 182

946 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixjai

I tried it again and still not working. I have both apks in /system/app/, I did chmod 644 E*, and the permission is showing rw-r-r

My Nexus 5 is still running odex pure stock rom with root. I thought we need odex files if the rom is not deodexed, right?

im not a guru but I'm almost positive you don't need odex files because the deodexed apk doesn't use them to run. Meaning once you take the odex and the apk file you compile them into one apk that is now a deodexed apk. This would be the apk that is in this thread. Odex files are called onto by the apk but if it is a deodexed apk then it is built into and does not call on an odex file. I am on a moto x which has odex'd apks and i merely renamed my old email and exhcnage apks as well as my odex email and exchange files with ".bk" at the end so i can re install them easily if necessary then put the new apks in the system/app then gave them the permissions you said, then rebooted the phone and the new apks are installed on boot.
5th November 2013, 09:10 PM   |  #434  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
I still have not been able to get this to work on my AT&T Galaxy Note 3 JB4.3. My phone has been rooted on the stock TouchWiz rom using the Universal Root method from this forum(to avoid triggering KNOX).

I'm pretty darn sure I have followed all the directions correctly. First I deleted all my email profiles and rebooted, just to be sure. The files in the system/app folder on my phone are named SecEmail_J.apk and SecExchange.apk. I renamed both files by adding .bk to the end. I copied the Email.apk and Exchange2.apk files to this folder, renamed them the same as the originals, and set their permissions to rw-r-r. Then I rebooted again.

Upon reboot, the email app keeps crashing and the phone becomes unstable because of this, until I restore the original files and reboot again.

As an aside, I've been a long time iphone user until last week when I got my first Android phone, so I'm still trying to learn/adjust to all the changes. I've also been a long time jailbreaker. TBH, jailbreaking seems a lot more straightforward than rooting has been for me. Probably because the vast amount of different devices running on the Android platform versus just the few iphone/ipad/ipod versions.

It's unfortunate that the Exchange bypass seems so complicated and elusive on this platform. On my iphone there was a simple tweak called Exchange Unlock that was easily installed via Cydia, without even having to delete your Exchange account. I'm not trying to stir the pot, just making an observation.
5th November 2013, 09:16 PM   |  #435  
Thanks Meter: 182

946 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkee

I still have not been able to get this to work on my AT&T Galaxy Note 3 JB4.3. My phone has been rooted on the stock TouchWiz rom using the Universal Root method from this forum(to avoid triggering KNOX).

I'm pretty darn sure I have followed all the directions correctly. First I deleted all my email profiles and rebooted, just to be sure. The files in the system/app folder on my phone are named SecEmail_J.apk and SecExchange.apk. I renamed both files by adding .bk to the end. I copied the Email.apk and Exchange2.apk files to this folder, renamed them the same as the originals, and set their permissions to rw-r-r. Then I rebooted again.

Upon reboot, the email app keeps crashing and the phone becomes unstable because of this, until I restore the original files and reboot again.

As an aside, I've been a long time iphone user until last week when I got my first Android phone, so I'm still trying to learn/adjust to all the changes. I've also been a long time jailbreaker. TBH, jailbreaking seems a lot more straightforward than rooting has been for me. Probably because the vast amount of different devices running on the Android platform versus just the few iphone/ipad/ipod versions.

It's unfortunate that the Exchange bypass seems so complicated and elusive on this platform. On my iphone there was a simple tweak called Exchange Unlock that was easily installed via Cydia, without even having to delete your Exchange account. I'm not trying to stir the pot, just making an observation.

there are other user friendly modules that you can run that try to bypass security. iphone and android comparison are worthless because one is only one phone with one software and all apps are driven through the software. android has many phones many softwares, and each carrier/distributor often makes their own software for the phone on top of android. Enough about that though. Is your device odexed? if so you need to rename the odex files as well. If not, Idk what else to tell you besides that it might not be compatible. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in to assist you.

also, when you removed the accounts, you might as well have deleted the data for the accounts too before attempting all of this. sometimes that is an issue as well.
5th November 2013, 09:56 PM   |  #436  
Flag Hyderabad

434 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkee

No wonder. This isn't meant for touchwiz or other OEM ROMs. Works best on aosp.
Sorry for spoiling your android experience, but Samsung is playing right to the galleries, even leaving behind apple. If you want a true android experience, try a nexus device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Last edited by prabhjots; 5th November 2013 at 09:59 PM.
5th November 2013, 10:23 PM   |  #437  
Flag toronto
Thanks Meter: 2,290

3,753 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhjots

No wonder. This isn't meant for touchwiz or other OEM ROMs. Works best on aosp.
Sorry for spoiling your android experience, but Samsung is playing right to the galleries, even leaving behind apple. If you want a true android experience, try a nexus device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Works just fine on tw..on my s3, s4, note 2 actually.

sent from my S4 or Note 3..nexus 5 on the way!
5th November 2013, 10:50 PM   |  #438  
Thanks Meter: 4

67 posts
I followed the instructions and email stops syncing after first time. So I see like 10 emails and than it stops...
Deleted my account and followed the exact instruction...
Tried on both 4.3 and 4.4
Any help?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
6th November 2013, 12:21 AM   |  #439  
Flag Hyderabad

434 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by force70

Works just fine on tw..on my s3, s4, note 2 actually.

sent from my S4 or Note 3..nexus 5 on the way!

Great!! Tried doing this without root? I have a friend who just will not root his S4, but still would love to use this.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
6th November 2013, 12:26 AM   |  #440  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Quote:

there are other user friendly modules that you can run that try to bypass security.

Could you elaborate?

Quote:

iphone and android comparison are worthless because one is only one phone with one software and all apps are driven through the software. android has many phones many softwares, and each carrier/distributor often makes their own software for the phone on top of android. Enough about that though.

I realize this, which is why I stated I was just making an observation based on what I've experienced so far.

Quote:

Is your device odexed? if so you need to rename the odex files as well. If not, Idk what else to tell you besides that it might not be compatible. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in to assist you.

In response to whether my or not my device is odexed, I believe it is. But I did forget to mention that I renamed the two .odex files as well. So that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Quote:

also, when you removed the accounts, you might as well have deleted the data for the accounts too before attempting all of this. sometimes that is an issue as well.

I'm not sure how to do that. When I restored the original files, I had to go back and recreate all my gmail accounts, as well as my exchange account. It didn't seem like any data was retained.

I keep searching for answers, but it's hard to pin down specifics based on my carrier/model/software. There's a lot of conflicting information(even in this thread) which makes it hard to figure it out. I don't know if anybody has been able to get it to work on an AT&T GN3, running v4.3 of Touchwiz. Searching google certainly has not been of any help other than pointing me here.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, exchange, jellybean, no pin, security bypass
Previous Thread Next Thread