Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,559 Members 40,490 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ouya: $99 hackable Android game console

Tip us?

mistermentality
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cewolf View Post
At this price, it's a total no brainer. You can use it to stream stuff, run emulators, etc.

I got in on the $99 offer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
I wonder if the lack of an optical drive, and no sd card slot, won't restrict the appeal as eight gig can be easily used up. It's the only downside to a nice product.

Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editi...bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk 2

hevey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermentality View Post
I wonder if the lack of an optical drive, and no sd card slot, won't restrict the appeal as eight gig can be easily used up. It's the only downside to a nice product.
In saying that it does support USB 2.0 (from what I understand) so external HDDs might be an option

decepticon
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevey View Post
In saying that it does support USB 2.0 (from what I understand) so external HDDs might be an option
https://twitter.com/playouya/status/222851486361726976

Stating that the USB can be used.

MissionImprobable
Old
Thanks Meter 855
Very promising project.

Lakewell
Old
Thanks Meter 7
It's almost at $2 million in it's first day. WOW. I pledged $99 for one. Looks like fun.

DankestMango
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I put in for one as well. A well designed little competitor to the Roku / Apple TV / Nexus Q, with support for custom roms is just what I've been looking for. The fact that it comes with a controller and was designed by Yves Behar is just icing on the cake.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

tjsooley
Old
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
I put $99 in.
I think this will take off and as here is a quote fro mthe kickstart page "For hackers: root it. Go ahead. Your warranty is safe. Even the hardware is hackable. Want to get inside? You’ll need a standard screwdriver and nothing more. Go to town. We have standard USB ports and Bluetooth, so you’ll even be able to create your own peripherals." So in my mind that means play store added. and with a tegra 3 and 1 gig of memory this will be a sweet addon for any hd tv

marcusfilipp
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Another other nice project by google.

mistermentality
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsooley View Post
I put $99 in.
I think this will take off and as here is a quote fro mthe kickstart page "For hackers: root it. Go ahead. Your warranty is safe. Even the hardware is hackable. Want to get inside? You’ll need a standard screwdriver and nothing more. Go to town. We have standard USB ports and Bluetooth, so you’ll even be able to create your own peripherals." So in my mind that means play store added. and with a tegra 3 and 1 gig of memory this will be a sweet addon for any hd tv
I think you're mistaken about play store as they specify ouya runs their own version of android not just an overlay (they specify games need porting because it is not normal android they will be using) and that they decide what apps can be approved.

For them to have sole access control of available apps suggests no play store functionality, as does the fact they are using their own variation of android and have stated that apps must be selected from the ouya app store.

Dave

tjsooley
Old
(Last edited by tjsooley; 11th July 2012 at 03:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermentality View Post
I think you're mistaken about play store as they specify ouya runs their own version of android not just an overlay (they specify games need porting because it is not normal android they will be using) and that they decide what apps can be approved.

For them to have sole access control of available apps suggests no play store functionality, as does the fact they are using their own variation of android and have stated that apps must be selected from the ouya app store.

Dave

I know that. Its android 4.0 and they are hacker friendly. It should be easy for the xda community to get stuff like play and such working. Some unity even come pre rooted.
They do say there will be a store and there twitter tells of a sdk too.
Read this "Hackers welcome.

Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!

Specifications:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0 "