Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,194 Members 41,614 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ouya: $99 hackable Android game console

Tip us?

krispycorn
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Default Re: Ouya: $99 hackable Android game console

XBMC was my main reason to purchase. I'm hoping it will have the power to do Aeon Nox skin and 1080p content over Wifi, so I can put it at any place in house. Purchased one for now w extra controller. If it works well w XBMC will be buying a second one for the kids TV so they have on demand kids movies from my ripped to hdd bluray collection. Things like games, other useful apps, old school emu, etc are just cherry on top .

Only thing I am hoping for is a IR accessory, much like Logitech's one for the ps3. Would be great to be able to turn it on in an Activity w the Harmony One. I already use Yatse for XBMC on my N4, so a third controller (ouya controller) to turn it on would be a shame, but hopefully someone comes up w something...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

mancur
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispycorn View Post
XBMC was my main reason to purchase. I'm hoping it will have the power to do Aeon Nox skin and 1080p content over Wifi, so I can put it at any place in house. Purchased one for now w extra controller. If it works well w XBMC will be buying a second one for the kids TV so they have on demand kids movies from my ripped to hdd bluray collection. Things like games, other useful apps, old school emu, etc are just cherry on top .
My exact reason and thinking as well.

As far as processing horsepower: I'm running the hardware beta builds of XBMC today on the Nexus 7 and am able to decode 1080P up to 20Mbps. Over 2.4GHz wireless N, I do see some pauses for "buffering" on files with bitrates above ~14Mbps, which is either saturating the bandwidth of the Wifi connection or the hardware is unable to keep up. At this point, I can't be sure which.

So, considering that the Ouya uses the same cpu as the Nexus 7, except it's clocked 33% faster, it should have no trouble with 1080P content.

And, I believe the Ouya runs wireless N at 5GHz, which has more throughput than at 2.4GHz, where the Nexus 7 must operate, so wireless speeds may not be an issue either.

Overall, this thing should kick ass with XBMC.

BTW, if anyone's interested in trying the hardware decoding beta builds of XBMC for Android, you can find them here. Pick the one with "hwaccel" in the title:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/
The Following User Says Thank You to mancur For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krispycorn
Old
Thanks Meter 32

Good to hear. Haven't tried the HW accel builds yet. I currently have XBMC running thru PC as second monitor on TV as my comp is in the home theater room as well. I slowly want to move away from this setup though. Hoping for an IR accessory for integration w Harmony remote activities...

krispycorn
Old
Thanks Meter 32

So is OUYA getting a specific build of XBMC for it only or will it use the normal XBMC Android app (and in future the hw accel versions once they are out of beta and merged)...?

scensorecho
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Still unsure about it

I mean, I'd probably use it for streaming, but the Xbox is pulling that off perfectly right now, and the next "console" I buy will most likely be the Steambox. But for $99... Might have to rethink that

krispycorn
Old
Thanks Meter 32

Do you mean old xbox, as in XBMC on old xbox? Cause if you're doing just dlna media streaming, that doesn't compare at all to XBMC imo w up to date Frodo, art scraping, the visuals of UI skins like Nox, TV Tunes, plugins like Sports Devil etc. I used to do DLNA myself straight to my PS3, but it feels archaic now compared to XBMC...

mancur
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispycorn View Post
Do you mean old xbox, as in XBMC on old xbox? Cause if you're doing just dlna media streaming, that doesn't compare at all to XBMC imo w up to date Frodo, art scraping, the visuals of UI skins like Nox, TV Tunes, plugins like Sports Devil etc. I used to do DLNA myself straight to my PS3, but it feels archaic now compared to XBMC...

XBMC + OUYA
http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/0...-ouya-oh-yeah/

It's not clear if it'll be a special build that appears in the Ouya store, or if you just sideload the Android app, but it'll work. I already see Ouya specific stuff in the XBMC merge notes.
The Following User Says Thank You to mancur For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lordhardware
Old
Thanks Meter 5
To everybody saying "I can use a controller on my s3"

Sure you can... but can you connect 4 and play multiplayer games developed solely for this console?

...Yeah

lovekeiiy
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhardware View Post
To everybody saying "I can use a controller on my s3"

Sure you can... but can you connect 4 and play multiplayer games developed solely for this console? ....
That's a big maybe, and possible not. Not because of the controller, but more the developed solely for this console. According the Google Play's page for Sixasxias Controller, it will support up the four controllers.

As for Ouya developed games unless there is device or Ouya specific check build into the game, it may be possible to side load on another mobile device. And if the hardware is similar enough, it may run well. Obviously, and in theory, those games will be optimized to run on the Ouya.

Unfortunately, at this point, the Ouya does have some redundancy in regards to capabilities when compared to other Android mobile devices. It will other benefits that will set it apart. One, it'll always be connected to the TV. Other devices, probably not because people will use their Android mobile devices on the go, which means you have to hook up cables to the TV or leave them out. This can be hassle or not aesthetically pleasing. Won't get disrupted from an incoming call while gaming on the device; No issues with console power since it won't run on battery power. I'm sure there will be something software wise, but I don't know enough on Ouya's software to make a decent guess.

raptor15sc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can you run it on a PC hooked up to the TV instead and maybe just use their controller with your PC?