Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,114 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ATTENTION CANADIAN USERS: Forums for Canadian carriers

Tip us?

evilmonkey1987
Old
(Last edited by evilmonkey1987; 5th July 2012 at 05:05 PM.) Reason: Update on the forums
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default ATTENTION CANADIAN USERS: Forums for Canadian carriers

Hello fellow Canadian GSIII owners: please see below and note which forum you should be looking in for ROMs for your devices:

AT&T forum: SGH-I747 (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus and SaskTel)
T-Mobile forum: SGH-T999 (T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity and Videotron)
Sprint forum: SPH-L710 (Sprint only)
Verizon forum: SGH-I535 (Verizon only)

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Hello XDA,

Can we please get an android development forum for Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind? Rogers/Bell/Telus phones are SGH-I747M and the Wind version is the SGH-T999, but they all have different basebands and stock ROMs. Trying to put Canadian threads in AT&T and Sprint forums will result in a big mess.

Alternatively, instead of separating by carrier, separate by model number. Keep all the I747 development threads in one forum and T999 threads in another. Then people can put the carrier into the title of the post.

Just something to think about.

Thanks!
Phone:
History: Motorola V220 -> Motorola RAZR -> HTC Wizard (Hello XDA!) -> HTC Touch -> Blackberry Curve 8330 -> Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-I747M
Current: Google Nexus 5 (stock: used in a corporate environment)

Tablet:
History: Viewsonic G-Tablet -> Asus EEE Pad Transformer (it's making a thief in Antwerp, Belgium very happy right now)
Current: Google Nexus 10 (stock: used in a corporate environment)

Other people's devices I look after:
HTC One X (stock)
Google Nexus 7 (stock)
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to evilmonkey1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TLS2000
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I agree. But AFAIK, the Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron S3 is the same as T-Mobile's, not Sprint's.
The Following User Says Thank You to TLS2000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

evilmonkey1987
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS2000 View Post
I agree. But AFAIK, the Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron S3 is the same as T-Mobile's, not Sprint's.
Indeed it is. I stand corrected.
Phone:
History: Motorola V220 -> Motorola RAZR -> HTC Wizard (Hello XDA!) -> HTC Touch -> Blackberry Curve 8330 -> Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-I747M

Tablet:
History: Viewsonic G-Tablet -> Asus EEE Pad Transformer (it's making a thief in Antwerp, Belgium very happy right now)

HTC One X (stock)
Google Nexus 7 (stock)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evilmonkey1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6316

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
and the Rogers is the same as AT&T's

historically Rogers and AT&T have been interchangeable in almost every aspect on all the devices they shared. Rogers uses the exact same frequencies as AT&T, and the devices are the same aside from some minor differences in bloat, lte toggle, and native wifi tether

rail205
Old
Thanks Meter 119
What about the Telus, does that fall under at&t also?

Thanks

I agree very hard to follow on what is for which phone, not going to take any chances until things are a little more clear. Still have the old S1 to mess with.

evilmonkey1987
Old
(Last edited by evilmonkey1987; 4th July 2012 at 09:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rail205 View Post
What about the Telus, does that fall under at&t also?

Thanks

I agree very hard to follow on what is for which phone, not going to take any chances until things are a little more clear. Still have the old S1 to mess with.
AT&T, Rogers, Bell and Telus have the same phone, the SGH-I747. But just because it's the same hardware does not mean it's the same software. It may or may not have different basebands and certainly has different carrier customizations. As Pirateghost mentioned, AT&T removes some features in its ROM (software), the most important being, at least for me, the ability to tether. So if you flash a rooted AT&T ROM on your Canadian device, it will most likely work but you will lose features(!) That's why we need to be very clear about what carrier each ROM is for. Furthermore, if you flash the wrong baseband (i.e. flash a Rogers baseband on a Bell phone), your phone may not work as a phone or it may connect to the wrong network and you will be charged roaming fees. At the moment, I can see that AT&T has a different baseband version from Bell, but Rogers and Bell seem to have the same baseband version. Are they interchangeable? I have no idea. Anyway, it's better not to mix these things up. That's why separate forums are a great idea.
Phone:

Tablet:

HTC One X (stock)
Google Nexus 7 (stock)
The Following User Says Thank You to evilmonkey1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jsick
Old
Thanks Meter 8
As a SaskTel customer coming from the international i9000, these forums are very confusing and not very organized. I would definitely support more organization.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jsick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TLS2000
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I guarantee that you won't roam on the other carrier if you flash the wrong baseband (Telus/Bell/Rogers). They don't have roaming agreements in place to allow that. That's why you won't get service with Rogers in some areas where Bell does have service.

Jsick
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
I guarantee that you won't roam on the other carrier if you flash the wrong baseband (Telus/Bell/Rogers). They don't have roaming agreements in place to allow that. That's why you won't get service with Rogers in some areas where Bell does have service.
That is how it was with the i9000. If I flashed the wrong baseband (for example, a US modem that did not support 850 band), I would just have no reception when I left the city.

BlackDino
Old
Thanks Meter 2296

DONATE TO ME
Sasktel, Bell, Rogers, Telus all have the AT&T version with tethering left in.
LG G2
Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Galaxy S 4
Samsung Galaxy S III
Nexus 7 (2012)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Motorola Xoom
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Focus
Nexus One

The Following User Says Thank You to BlackDino For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]