Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 51,908 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ATTENTION CANADIAN USERS: Forums for Canadian carriers

Tip us?

evilmonkey1987
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsick View Post
That is how it was with the i9000. If I flashed the wrong baseband (for example, a US modem that did not support 850 band), I would just have no reception when I left the city.
OK. Either way, flashing the wrong baseband is a bad idea.
Phone:
History: Motorola V220 -> Motorola RAZR -> HTC Wizard (Hello XDA!) -> HTC Touch -> Blackberry Curve 8330 -> Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-I747M
Current: Google Nexus 5 (stock: used in a corporate environment)

Tablet:
History: Viewsonic G-Tablet -> Asus EEE Pad Transformer (it's making a thief in Antwerp, Belgium very happy right now)
Current: Google Nexus 10 (stock: used in a corporate environment)

Other people's devices I look after:
HTC One X (stock)
Google Nexus 7 (stock)

ootz0rz
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
and the Rogers is the same as AT&T's

historically Rogers and AT&T have been interchangeable in almost every aspect on all the devices they shared. Rogers uses the exact same frequencies as AT&T, and the devices are the same aside from some minor differences in bloat, lte toggle, and native wifi tether
Except this time around, it seems that there is a slight difference between the two in terms of software, and enough so that I've read posts of people having issues when using at&t based stuff on their rogers phones.

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6169

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ootz0rz View Post
Except this time around, it seems that there is a slight difference between the two in terms of software, and enough so that I've read posts of people having issues when using at&t based stuff on their rogers phones.
I've been here before with the vivid, skyrocket, and the one x. You can ignore anything I say but I HAVE dealt with this stuff before.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Tempott
Old
Thanks Meter 9
So is it safe to say that you can flash the Stock Rom or Custom ROMs for T-Mobile T999 on Wind Mobile's T999V. And at most you lose Roaming and/or a few features?
I already see that there is one or two ROMs that are confirmed for multiple carriers.

simplywinter
Old
Thanks Meter 0
A dedicated Canadian Forum is a great idea! There is so much information floating around out there with the multiple variations of the sgs3.
Note 3 - n900w8
SGS4 - i337m - rooted stock
SGS3 - I747m - rooted 4.1.1 touchwiz
HP Touchpad 32gb - dualboot webos/cm9
1st gen nexus 7 - rooted stock

TimeKillr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
I've been here before with the vivid, skyrocket, and the one x. You can ignore anything I say but I HAVE dealt with this stuff before.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
As a Rogers user (and relatively new to Android) it freaks the hell out of me to flash custom ROMs based on the AT&T version, because I'm sure I *will* lose tethering and the ability to turn off LTE.

That's the stupid thing - it'd be rather simple to have subforums dedicated to the canadian devices, because the software is different (not only the bloatware, but apparently some more stuff too) and the baseband is also different, which could lead to problems down the line, no?

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6169

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKillr View Post
As a Rogers user (and relatively new to Android) it freaks the hell out of me to flash custom ROMs based on the AT&T version, because I'm sure I *will* lose tethering and the ability to turn off LTE.

That's the stupid thing - it'd be rather simple to have subforums dedicated to the canadian devices, because the software is different (not only the bloatware, but apparently some more stuff too) and the baseband is also different, which could lead to problems down the line, no?
If a rom is done the right way you won't lose any functionality. You can't honestly believe that at&t users don't want those features. I prefer to build all my roms from a rogers base for the simple reason that it is less work for that functionality.

PS. Any rom dev should know better than to force a modem/radio/baseband change on their users.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Sword Fish
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDino View Post
Sasktel, Bell, Rogers, Telus all have the AT&T version with tethering left in.
That might be true but if you check your firmware versions, they aren't the same as AT&T's.

Also, I have flashed most of the international radio's on my older I9100 and never had a problem in Canada or US when travelling. They may not be customized for that country but they do work.

evilmonkey1987
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
I PMd one of the mods with a link to this thread. There seems to be interest in a forum for Canadian carriers, so let's see if we can make it happen.

By the way thanks to everyone chiming in with their two cents. I am not a developer, and although I've been around xda a while, it was always as a user. I''ve written a guide or two on how to root and flash devices, but it was always based on other people's work. So I am learning all this as I go along.
Phone:
History: Motorola V220 -> Motorola RAZR -> HTC Wizard (Hello XDA!) -> HTC Touch -> Blackberry Curve 8330 -> Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-I747M
Current: Google Nexus 5 (stock: used in a corporate environment)

Tablet:
History: Viewsonic G-Tablet -> Asus EEE Pad Transformer (it's making a thief in Antwerp, Belgium very happy right now)
Current: Google Nexus 10 (stock: used in a corporate environment)

Other people's devices I look after:
HTC One X (stock)
Google Nexus 7 (stock)

David Dee
Old
Thanks Meter 820
I come from the desire z/g2 forums. G2 is t mobile, The desire z is run on multiple networks globally. Baseband are set by the phone, not the radio (I think that is the same thing as a modern?). On my Desire z running on Rogers, I flashed T-Mobile radios and international radios which worked on Rogers no problem.

Features of a rom are determined by the dev, if you don't like something, flash something else or restore your nandroid backup. Read the op and ask the dev if you are unsure about any features on a Rom.

I would think the only models that should be separated in forums are the international version, totally different processor and maybe Verizon cdma. From a sheer volume of users standpoint, further division is warranted. You think this is bad, wait until Verizon and At&t widely launch, this current setup will be complete chaos.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Premium HD app

Tablet: Asus Transformer Pad 300
ROM: Stock Rooted

If I have helped you, please don't hesitate to hit the "Thanks" button