iBotPeaches' APKTOOL THREAD
What I do is create a folder to work in and call it for example:
1) Take the apktool.jar from ibot's OP and the modded aapt he provided and place them in the folder.
2) You will need to pull the framework-res.apk from the rom you are working on. Copy it to c:\apktools.
4) Open a command window and navigate to your apktool folder
5) We now need to install the framework and type the following:
java -jar apktool.jar if framework-res.apk
If you are decompiling any framework other that AOSP ie: sense, touchwiz, ect you will have to install the framework and systemui.apk for them as well, ie: for miui it's framework-miui-res.apk
You only need to do this once, unless you are working on a different Rom, then you will need to copy the framework-res.apk from that Rom and run the above command again.
6) We can now decompile framework-res with apktool
java -jar apktool.jar d framework-res.apk (here you can add the folder you'd like to have your extracted apk save to)
it will create a folder by the name of the .apk or .jar by default but say you wanted it just to go to a folder called "frameres" (just to be a lil more convienent while typing your command would look like this
java -jar apktool.jar d framework-res.apk frameres
the d option stands for decompile and you will now see a folder under c:\apktools\frameres (in my case, yours will be whatever your output folder's name is). Here is all the output and can make any changes you want, and then can recompile. I would test to make sure you can recompile before making a lot of changes though.
6) We will now compile framework-res.apk
java -jar apktool.jar b frameres NEWframework-res.apk
I always put something different in the new apk name for instance i always put NEWapk.apk some people use numbers like apk1.apk ect.. whatever you feel is comfortable for you.. But once you enter the command it will take a few minutes and it should complete without any errors.
7) Once it is done compiling you will need to go to c:\apktools\ and you will now see your new framework-res.apk in my case titled "NEWframework-res.apk"
IMPORTANT LAST STEP
Once you recompile the apk you're going to wanna use 7-zip to open both the original UNMODDED apk and the newly compiled apk
you wanna copy the META-INF folder and the AndroidManifest.xml from the ORIGINAL into the NEWLY compiled apk otherwise your apk won't work
Just remember to copy any apk you want to decompile right into the root of c:\apktools, run the decompile command and it will create a folder of the output that has the same of the apk file.