Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,354 Members 44,045 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What does wiping dalvik cache do?

Tip us?

rolo143
Old
(Last edited by rolo143; 5th July 2012 at 04:07 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Default What does wiping dalvik cache do?

I was getting out of space on my internal phone, so I decided to clear wipe cache and dalvik cache through CWM, but I find i save a lot of space BUT some apps stop working, maybe they are lost. So was does this actually do? Why are the apps there, but can't work?

Ok, after rebooting they are actually working again, i didn't even lost any data (progress on games) but I am really concerned what does this really do??

Feanor88
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo143 View Post
I was getting out of space on my internal phone, so I decided to clear wipe cache and dalvik cache through CWM, but I find i save a lot of space BUT some apps stop working, maybe they are lost. So was does this actually do? Why are the apps there, but can't work?

Ok, after rebooting they are actually working again, i didn't even lost any data (progress on games) but I am really concerned what does this really do??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_%28software%29

When you reboot, Dalvik cache and Cache are re-created. So no space saved this way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Feanor88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daihard
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor88 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_%28software%29

When you reboot, Dalvik cache and Cache are re-created. So no space saved this way.
I was wondering what wiping the Dalvik cache did, too. I installed an inverted app and someone told me I needed to wipe the Dalvik cache in order for it to remain in place after a reboot, so I did that. Now my phone says "Optimizing apps..." It must rbe e-creating the cache.
[Phone] Nexus 5 / AOKP KK 2014-04-30 Nightly
[Tablet] Nexus 7 (16GB) / AOKP KK 2014-04-06 Nightly
[Laptop] Panasonic Toughbook W8 / Kubuntu 12.04 LTS X86_64

Saqib Nazm
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 7695

DONATE TO ME
As far as I know, when a rom boots up for the first time Dalvik goes through each & every apk's & extract the Dex & put it in the cache. So probably it is a location of all apks. If dalvik cache is not wiped after a new rom is installed,dalvik cache will skip because it founds the dexed cache files attach to the directory. The result is "Force close" issues.
So wiping dalvik cache can be done without any problem many times within the same rom & that's why is shows "optiming apps" after a dalvik cache wipe.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Saqib Nazm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daihard
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by saqib nazm View Post
As far as I know, when a rom boots up for the first time Dalvik goes through each & every apk's & extract the Dex & put it in the cache. So probably it is a location of all apks. If dalvik cache is not wiped after a new rom is installed,dalvik cache will skip because it founds the dexed cache files attach to the directory. The result is "Force close" issues.
So wiping dalvik cache can be done without any problem many times within the same rom & that's why is shows "optiming apps" after a dalvik cache wipe.
Thanks! That's in line with my suspicion, except I didn't know when I posted my question that an apk file was nothing but a zip file that contains a dex (Dalvik executable) and a bunch of other files. Your explanation makes sense. I also noticed that if I install an individual app from a zip file using CWM Recovery, then it clears the relevant part of the Dalvik cache for me. That doesn't happen when I install an apk file directly using Root Explorer.
[Phone] Nexus 5 / AOKP KK 2014-04-30 Nightly
[Tablet] Nexus 7 (16GB) / AOKP KK 2014-04-06 Nightly
[Laptop] Panasonic Toughbook W8 / Kubuntu 12.04 LTS X86_64

deepankarbu
Old
Thanks Meter 16
guys one line question i am performing "Wipe cache and dalvik-cache" will my phone internal memory be deleted ? thanks a ton

daydu19
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepankarbu View Post
guys one line question i am performing "Wipe cache and dalvik-cache" will my phone internal memory be deleted ? thanks a ton
Nop, it will not

Sent from my SK17i using xda premium
LG G2
Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300
Iphone 4S
HTC Vivid
Xperia Mini Pro (sk17)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daydu19 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Koptanov
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Phone didn't boot after wiping Dalvik Cache

Hi Geeks

i have an Xperia Arc S modded with Cyanogenmod JellyBean 4.1.2 Cooked ROM

i had alot of memory issues as applications keep closing whenever system runs out of memory, it is always obvious in the DSP application with the walkman in addition to visualizations inside the walkman

i searched for a solution and some told me that wiping the dalvik cache might solve the problem, so i gave it a try and rebooted in CWM recovery mode "built inside ROM" , cleared the Dalvik cache , and the phone keeps displaying the Xperia Logo without any further progress, as if it's in somekinda loop !

any idea what to do next without wiping my Data ? thank you all

BR
AMR

XperienceD
Old
Thanks Meter 2332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koptanov View Post
Hi Geeks

i have an Xperia Arc S modded with Cyanogenmod JellyBean 4.1.2 Cooked ROM

i had alot of memory issues as applications keep closing whenever system runs out of memory, it is always obvious in the DSP application with the walkman in addition to visualizations inside the walkman

i searched for a solution and some told me that wiping the dalvik cache might solve the problem, so i gave it a try and rebooted in CWM recovery mode "built inside ROM" , cleared the Dalvik cache , and the phone keeps displaying the Xperia Logo without any further progress, as if it's in somekinda loop !

any idea what to do next without wiping my Data ? thank you all

BR
AMR
Are you sure you only wiped the dalvik?

Sent from Myushi

prankyhavai
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default clears app cache

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo143 View Post

it clears the app running cache stored in os.