Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 41,356 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root with locked bootloader - anyone tried?

Tip us?

Spectre51
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1307

DONATE TO ME
Default Root with locked bootloader - anyone tried?

So over on the Xperia S forums they have this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1742992 which is a guide to root the Xperia S with a locked bootloader. Has anyone tried those steps with the ion and a locked bootloader?

I will test this out in a week (after my week of use testing the international firmware on my at&t ion) if no one else has yet. Thought it might be interesting to see if it works for us too.

Current Phones/Tablets:
Xperia Z1 // Xperia Z Ultra // Lumia 1020 // Xperia Tablet Z // Surface Pro
Accessories
Sony Smartwatch MN2 // Sony Smart Wireless Headset pro MW1 // Smart Bluetooth Handset SBH52 // Z Ultra Power Cover CP12
Past Phones/Tablets:
iPhone 1st Gen/3GS/4S // Nexus One // Dell Streak // Atrix 4g // Lumia 900, 920 // Xperia Play, S, P, ion, TL, Z // iPad 1, 3

Click here for my Xperia firmware downloads.
Use the Thanks button if I helped.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spectre51 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

earbrain
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Im out n away from my comp through the weekend spec but I will cerainly help sort through and test soon as I can. eb

Sent from my LT28at using xda premium

npspears
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Guinea Pig

I want to test this out but don't want to brick my phone. What do you think the chances of bricking would be? I'm assuming we would have to use the international firmware since we don't yet have the at&t file, right?

earbrain
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Does anybody know if restore via pc connect is possible for ion? Should be, I just havent yet had a chance to connect. eb

Spectre51
Old
Thanks Meter 1307

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by npspears View Post
I want to test this out but don't want to brick my phone. What do you think the chances of bricking would be? I'm assuming we would have to use the international firmware since we don't yet have the at&t file, right?
Don't have what AT&T file?

Current Phones/Tablets:
Accessories
Sony Smartwatch MN2 // Sony Smart Wireless Headset pro MW1 // Smart Bluetooth Handset SBH52 // Z Ultra Power Cover CP12
Past Phones/Tablets:
iPhone 1st Gen/3GS/4S // Nexus One // Dell Streak // Atrix 4g // Lumia 900, 920 // Xperia Play, S, P, ion, TL, Z // iPad 1, 3

npspears
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Nevermind Spectre, found the AT&T file.

Is it easy to brick a phone with flashtool?

Spectre51
Old
Thanks Meter 1307

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by npspears View Post
Nevermind Spectre, found the AT&T file.

Is it easy to brick a phone with flashtool?
By just flashing a ftf no not really. Just make sure you have enough battery life and you should be good.

Current Phones/Tablets:
Accessories
Past Phones/Tablets:

yuunanase
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I tried it with my ion the other day, but there was something like a partation size error.
The Following User Says Thank You to yuunanase For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spectre51
Old
Thanks Meter 1307

DONATE TO ME
Tried today using just the at&t GB ftf but it wouldn't work on step two. Said permission denied. Might need the ICS firmware like how the guide says for the Xperia S. The ics ftf posted in the ion boards gives me (and it seems others with locked bootloaders) sin verification errors.

Current Phones/Tablets:
Accessories
Past Phones/Tablets:

The Following User Says Thank You to Spectre51 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

earbrain
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Damn.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe