Does FoxFi work when not rooted?

OP macdroid01

9th July 2012, 03:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19

140 posts
Hi all,

Does FoxFi work for WiFi tethering when NOT yet rooted, on Dinc 4? Anyone actually tested it? I'm between this and the S III, and tethering will be one of my uses. Since VZ locked S III I think I may get a Dinc 4.

Thanks for any inputs!
9th July 2012, 07:43 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 214

409 posts
I have the Dinc4g, and have not rooted it just yet.

I have been trying to get FoxFi to work. My laptop will connect to FoxFi and receive an IP address via DHCP with no problem (using WPA password). I can successfully ping the phone while connected, but can *not* get out to the internet. I may be rooting sooner than later, as I too need to tether on occasion. In the mean time, I will be settling for a USB tether..

Edit: FoxFi does appear to work if you use the Proxy option (requires the FoxFi add-on). I was able to browse using FireFox after setting up the FireFox network settings to use the Proxy.
Last edited by junkmail9; 18th July 2012 at 04:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to junkmail9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th July 2012, 06:21 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmail9

I have the Dinc4g, and have not rooted it just yet.

I have been trying to get FoxFi to work. My laptop will connect to FoxFi and receive an IP address via DHCP with no problem (using WPA password). I can successfully ping the phone while connected, but can *not* get out to the internet. I may be rooting sooner than later, as I too need to tether on occasion. In the mean time, I will be settling for a USB tether..

Edit: FoxFi does appear to work if you use the Proxy option (requires the FoxFi add-on). I was able to browse using FireFox after setting up the FireFox network settings to use the Proxy.

Absolutely 100% same issue here, connects, grabs an IP instantly, but it cannot browse out. The proxy-add on gives me instant web access when configured, but obviously I cannot use any other services over the proxy (like RDP, Ping, VPN, etc.) It seems almost like there's a firewall or routing issue on the phone on the NAT side of things. I can ping the gateway (192.168.43.1) but cannot route beyond it.
28th September 2012, 05:27 AM   |  #4  

2 posts
Can't grab IP
I'm using a Motorola Atrix HD and I can't seem to get my Nexus to grab an IP from FoxFi, even with the app.
17th February 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #5  

11 posts
working for me right now: FoxFi Addon, Firefox set on 'no proxy'
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread