Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,179 Members 41,451 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] ParanoidAndroid 3.60 (HALO)

Tip us?

mateorod
Old
(Last edited by mateorod; 26th June 2013 at 04:09 PM.) Reason: update post some...
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3,511

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM] ParanoidAndroid 3.60 (HALO)

eyeballer and I are pleased to announce that

ParanoidAndroid 3.60
for the Nook Color is now available!

ParanoidAndroid 3.15 is a AOSP based rom that allows users to enjoy tablet or phone UI, or hybrid.
Most apps have several different UI's for various layouts, choose which interface you prefer.

Paranoid Android sources are out and building a ROM has never been easier. See the third post for instructions!

AOSPA Features include
  • Control the UI of individual apps as well as your entire tablet
  • Small. mid and large tabletUI layout.
  • Customization of toolbars, lockscreen and more/
  • Netflix. Update: Now working with latest apk from Play Store, but you need this hack.
  • Color-splash for nav-bar and apps
  • Expanded Desktop w/ PIE controls
  • I especially would like you to take a second and appreciate the Cyanogen team, especially our home team of fat-tire, nemith, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360 and steven676.
    I would recommend you never pass up an opportunity to thank those guys for their efforts

From one of the PA creators, molesarecoming...
Quote:
To be honest, this is not tablet mode at all, it has nothing to do with silly build.prop hacks.

This is the first and only Android rom to feature true Hybrid mode.
This rom lets you scale and project every app, every widget, even systemcomponents individually.
Remember, android is modular, everything is an app: Lockscreen, navigationbar, dialogs, popups, keyboards, widgets, and your regular apps of course.
Apps have the capability to switch into various designs or layouts according to the device they run on.
This can result in a complete new experience as many apps will transform to the better.

Now for every element that you like chose a mode (PhoneUI, Phablet/Nexus-7UI, TabletUI) and/or a size.
You are 100% independent of the system DPI which runs nicely in whatever value it has been assigned to.
You do not need to boot your phone into a certain DPI. Neither will most of the changes you apply require a reboot.
You will not suffer from the myriads of troubles which normally haunt you under build.prop tablet mode.
Your market, phone, etc. will all work, apps won't shrink on you unless you shrink them yourself.
This project will entirely transform your device, but retain the aesthetics and the feel of your phone.

Here are some screenshots of the ROM for the Nook Color

In the settings, you will see a new pane for Hybrid Settings.
  • Here you can adjust the default GUI and DPI for all system or user apps, or even each app individually. There is a picture walk-through at the top of the third post.

Download
  • Updates will also be available through Goo Manager via browse compatible roms -> mateor -> paranoidAndroid
  • No special GAPPS necessary; just use the latest you can find!
  • If you are going to run this from an sdcard, see Leapinlar's sdcard-install guide

New! Download Page

PA is using NookieDev's 3.x kernel and device tree, among other projects.

3.15 Issue List
  • When in extended desktop or 0% navbar, touch events where the nav bar was are touchy, at best. This will continue to be worked on. (Here was one attempt)
  • You can only reboot into recovery through Cyanoboot!
  • Boot animation is in landscape
  • You will have to reflash GAPPS each update (known upstream issue)
  • Governor/Scheduler selection in Settings does not stick (Works in 3rd party apps like TricksterMod)
  • Some ALSA -related noise in logcat I plan on investigating.
  • You tell me!

Contributions to any aspect of the project are welcome, see the involved projects here.

Thanks are due to:
Quote:
  • molesarecoming, aaronpoweruser, D4rKn3sSys and the ParanoidAndroid Team
  • The CM Team, including our own fattire, keyodi, dalingrin, eyeballer, Krylon360, sluo (yeah, that's right, we thanked ourselves. What about it?)
  • steven676 deserves a special mention for maintaining our device and kernel. This update in particular owes him a large debt.
  • kevank, snipa, and the rest of TeamWin for hosting and general good will (yeah, twice) (Wanna make something of it?)
  • tonyp for general PA expertise
  • inportb for GP.
  • RedneckReg for the replacement device and Leapinlar for all he does for the Nook community.
Support Beloko Games' source ports of Doom and Quake 1-3, Jedi Knight, etc.

He is hurting from piracy...I need Doom 3 on my phone, you guys. Buy them, ok?
The Following 107 Users Say Thank You to mateorod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eyeballer
Old
(Last edited by eyeballer; 16th November 2012 at 03:34 AM.)
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,360

DONATE TO ME
Great work by mateorod on this!

Building from source is a ton better than the older builds where we had to patch frameworks from other devices.

Please post any feedback and/or preferred settings that you find or use for certain apps so we can improve the default experience.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to eyeballer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mateorod
Old
(Last edited by mateorod; 30th April 2013 at 10:02 PM.) Reason: add jellybean; change from cyanogen.com to .org due to 'presumptive drug-addict who shall not be named'...
Thanks Meter 3,511

DONATE TO ME
Here is a walk-through of how to interact with Paranoid Settings (found in the device settings menu)
Quote:
You will notice some of the above user-interfaces are not yet available on this rom. Every device is configured differently.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Easiest build instructions on XDA!

These instructions are for 64 bit Linux environments, try VirtualBox if you don't use Linux normally.

Take 15 minutes and follow the beginning of this guide. if you don't have ADB set-up, it will take longer, but that is just for downloading the SDK.
If you need help installing the JDK (the hardest part, honest) do this (this is the absolute easiest way)
Code:
cd ~/
wget https://github.com/flexiondotorg/oab-java6/raw/0.2.7/oab-java.sh -O oab-java.sh
chmod +x oab-java.sh
sudo ./oab-java.sh
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
When it gets to the step to intialize the repo (repo init -u ETC.) STOP, and come back here, You are done with that guide, forever. Those steps only need to be done once.

Enter:
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/mateor/android.git -b pa-4.2
repo sync
If you experience fetch errors during the repo sync, change the command to repo sync -j4 -f. If they still occur, then repo sync -j1 -f.
This will take a long time, do it before bed, or family time, or go eat.

When the sync is done
Code:
. build/envsetup.sh
lunch pa_encore-userdebug
make bacon

You're done! I used to have a build script here, but that is not currently working, ParanoidAndroid preferences FCs with the build script.

When it is done compiling, your ROM will be waiting for you at ~/android/system/pa/out/target/product/encore.

Fat-tire says this makes you an Android ninja, so you know it must be true. That means that if you don't try, you are admitting you don't want to be a ninja. Which reveals you to be the geek you already are but with loser rubbed all over you. Why else are you on XDA if not to learn?

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to mateorod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bodi524
Old
Thanks Meter 366
I have used Paranoid on my GNex. It is a great ROM! I was hoping someone might port it to the Nook Color.

If you need any testing or help I would be willing.

halrulez
Old
Thanks Meter 194
I am going to for sure try this later today after I am done taking the kids to their stuff!

Malave
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Just picked an extra sdcard to try this on. Cant wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to Malave For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darrylking06
Old
Thanks Meter 0
what doesnt work on this rom? ie netflix youtube hd etc.

Nburnes
Old
Thanks Meter 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylking06 View Post
Probably everything that doesn't work in the regular CM9 rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nburnes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mateorod
Old
Thanks Meter 3,511

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylking06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nburnes View Post
Probably everything that doesn't work in the regular CM9 rom.
Yeah, that seems to be about the size of it. I used non-opengl, which I suppose I will add to the OP. But it will have whatever limitations CM9 has, in the best case.

The Following User Says Thank You to mateorod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

john9
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 269
Maybe I should give it a try lol.

Tags
nook, paranoid android, rom