Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,347 Members 50,487 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7 sensor coordinate system orientation? 90 degree offset like tablets?

Tip us?

zinfinion
Old
(Last edited by zinfinion; 9th July 2012 at 11:56 PM.) Reason: More details.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Question [Q] Nexus 7 sensor coordinate system orientation? 90 degree offset like tablets?

Anyone who's had an Android tablet knows that a lot of poorly coded apps get flummoxed by the default 90 degree rotated, landscape orientation of the device.

Thus my question, is the sensor in the Nexus 7 rotated as well? Or is the default orientation set to portrait, the same as a phone?

Google "sensors-overview sensors-coords android" to find the relevant developer page. The specific orientation details are near the bottom: Sensor Coordinate System

"One Screen Turn Deserves Another" is an excellent article that explains the problem quite well.

If anyone who has a preview device could check to see what orientation the N7 uses, that'd be great. I'm hoping for portrait.
The Following User Says Thank You to zinfinion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

moe6
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfinion View Post
Anyone who's had an Android tablet knows that a lot of poorly coded apps get flummoxed by the default 90 degree rotated, landscape orientation of the device.

Thus my question, is the sensor in the Nexus 7 rotated as well? Or is the default orientation set to portrait, the same as a phone?

Google "sensors-overview sensors-coords android" to find the relevant developer page. The specific orientation details are near the bottom: Sensor Coordinate System

"One Screen Turn Deserves Another" is an excellent article that explains the problem quite well.

If anyone who has a preview device could check to see what orientation the N7 uses, that'd be great. I'm hoping for portrait.
I'd assume it would be rotated since they're very intent on educating users on using a 7" tablet in portrait like a book.
Nexus 7 2013
Nexus 4
Galaxy Nexus [Retired], Motorola Milestone/Droid [Retired]
The Following User Says Thank You to moe6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DarkRyoushii
Old
Thanks Meter 105

DONATE TO ME
Yea I'm gonna say that it's probably not in landscape since the whole UI is portrait based. Seems a bit counter productive to have to rotate the device every time you launch an app.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using xda-developers app
HTC One M8 | Google Nexus 5 16GB | Google Nexus 7 16GB
Google Nexus 4 16GB [Sold] | Samsung Galaxy S III 16GB [Sold] | Google Nexus 7 16GB [Sold] | Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB [Sold] | Samsung Galaxy S II 16GB [Sold]

If you don't have a Dropbox, take this 2.5GB of cloud storage - completely free!
Got a dropbox? How about join the dollar shave club delivered straight to your door each month for $1!

Thanks to all who've already used my referrals! Really appreciate it!

zinfinion
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRyoushii View Post
Yea I'm gonna say that it's probably not in landscape since the whole UI is portrait based. Seems a bit counter productive to have to rotate the device every time you launch an app.
I'm fairly confident the sensors will be in portrait orientation by default, but confirmation would be nice.

The reason I ask is because my current Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 has the 90 degree offset sensor issue. 99% of the time it's fine. It boots up in portrait, apps launch in portrait (unless landscape only apps, which launch in landscape with no issues). Certain apps that are poorly coded and expect all devices to be portrait by default tend to do all sorts of odd things though. I've only run across a couple in the Play store, and one of those has been fixed.

The real problem lies with custom roms, as all of the ones I have tried default to the landscape sensor orientation (boot orientation when laid flat is landscape), rather than compensate for it (the stock Samsung rom is portrait by default when laid flat). This has led to all sorts of aggravating (and unintentionally hilarious) issues with the custom roms.

So hopefully Google thought this through and the N7 sensor orientation is portrait by default and basically acts like a large phone minus the phone bits.