Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,733 Members 54,259 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] PROPER Remake of Full Rooted Stock Image (aka Root66) + Easy CWM Install

Tip us?

open1your1eyes0
Old
(Last edited by open1your1eyes0; 8th October 2012 at 04:45 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3247

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROOT] PROPER Remake of Full Rooted Stock Image (aka Root66) + Easy CWM Install

SOLVED - How to flash the Proper (Fixed) Stock Rooted Image

Description: This is 100% stock with just Superuser/su added and overwrites every partition to stock but keeps your personal data, apps, settings the same (just like the stock factory image).

Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
ODIN v3.07 - Link
Proper Rooted Stock Image - Download or (Torrent Link) - MD5 = be4350a56e739eaf7a4184352d653a7b

1. Install USB drivers
2. Download ODIN v3.07
3. Backup your data
4. OPTIONAL: Do a factory reset (highly recommended if you have issues with your current ROM)
***WARNING: Step #4 will erase internal storage but not microSD card***
5. Download the above Proper Rooted Stock Image file and extract the tar file from inside it
6. Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
7. Flash the extracted tar file using ODIN v3.07

You should now have a like new condition stock image and rooted with all issues resolved.

Credit goes completely to mrRobinson for creating this image for us. Thank you sir. (Original Post) + (Details How It Was Made)

To Install Official CWM Recovery

1. After following above process, download "Rom Manager" from the Play Store
2. Open Rom Manager
3. Select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
4. Select "Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon)" down at the bottom and let it flash
5. Once completed you can reboot to CWM by selecting "Reboot into Recovery" from Rom Manager

ORIGINAL REQUEST

Quote:
After various testing, it seems many users are experiencing various issues with the rooted System.img provided by the OP in this thread. Many report findings of "Sprint related elements" as well as various keyboard issues and things not working as they should. I wish I had the knowledge myself but on behalf of the community, I'd like to request for someone with knowledge of this guide to remake the same rooted system.img as in the original but this time confirmed with using the original stock Verizon SCH-I535 image downloadable here.

I'm sure many of us here would highly appreciate this effort and we can also carry out further testing as many users reported that soon as they flash back to that stock image, their issues have disappeared and everything starts working properly.

I will quote another user in reference to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungeBash View Post
Just formatted back to stock until issues can be resolved. The stock image (which I'm told this root is + su) lost all Sprint instances and any strange extra options. Also the Keyboards are back to functioning. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I feel that the root image has more going on with it than what we are told.
Here's to hoping one of you knowledgeable developers are able to assist us with this request.

The Following 75 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tonu42
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0 View Post
After various testing, it seems many users are experiencing various issues with the rooted System.img provided by the OP in this thread. Many report findings of "Sprint related elements" as well as various keyboard issues and things not working as they should. I wish I had the knowledge myself but on behalf of the community, I'd like to request for someone with knowledge of this guide to remake the same rooted system.img as in the original but this time confirmed with using the original stock Verizon SCH-I535 image downloadable here.

I'm sure many of us here would highly appreciate this effort and we can also carry out further testing as many users reported that soon as they flash back to that stock image, their issues have disappeared and everything starts working properly.

Here's to hoping one of you knowledgeable developers are able to assist us with this request.
If you don't like it, dont flash it.

themusicmonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonu42 View Post
Hardly helpful for those who already flashed it... I just want it fixed, or a work around. If it's something as simple as uninstalling a few things, or replacing some databases, I'm fine with that. I just don't want to redo everything, and re-restore everything with Titanium Backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to themusicmonkey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

open1your1eyes0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3247

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Not to be rude but we're not. That's why I'm making this request to remake with proper image. Because we are skeptical of the original one that was made. I PMed the OP of that thread and he claims to have used that image but in user's experience something is definitely different from stock, hence we're requesting a remake to test this.

The Following User Says Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tonu42
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Not to be rude but we're not. That's why I'm making this request to remake with proper image. Because we are skeptical of the original one that was made. I PMed the OP of that thread and he claims to have used that image but in user's experience something is definitely different from stock, hence we're requesting a remake to test this.
If you'd like, you can flash the stripped version, and I have a second zip that will restore all the stripped apps.

ExodusC
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I did have some odd issues with SwiftKey crashing after flashing the image. Not sure if that has to do with it or not.

Quote:
Useless post.

What would be useful is someone with the requisite knowledge being able to remake this exploit with the Verizon source in order to have maximum compatibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to ExodusC For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alquimista
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:

Are you talking about the system.img from invisibleks first image?
Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...10&postcount=1
Or the stripped and rooted one?
Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...65&postcount=1

I think the first one invisiblek made is pretty much what you are asking for. Remember, there's no SCH-I535 source code out there for people to build a system image from. These images are hacked system images from the stock image (found here: http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SCH-I535 ). One can't really "remake" the system image until we can fully bypass the encrypted and locked bootloader.

If you want to roll your own system image with the su binary and SuperUser you can follow the instructions here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...04&postcount=1
They seem pretty straight forward.

However, I'm pretty sure that's what invisiblek did for his/her first rooted image (the one that isn't stripped).

Hope that helps. I can't do much of anything till my SGS3 arrives tomorrow.
ALQI
The Following User Says Thank You to alquimista For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

open1your1eyes0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3247

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alquimista View Post
Are you talking about the system.img from invisibleks first image?
Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...10&postcount=1
Or the stripped and rooted one?
Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...65&postcount=1

I think the first one invisiblek made is pretty much what you are asking for. Remember, there's no SCH-I535 source code out there for people to build a system image from. These images are hacked system images from the stock image (found here: http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SCH-I535 ). One can't really "remake" the system image until we can fully bypass the encrypted and locked bootloader.

If you want to roll your own system image with the su binary and SuperUser you can follow the instructions here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...04&postcount=1
They seem pretty straight forward.

However, I'm pretty sure that's what invisiblek did for his/her first rooted image (the one that isn't stripped).

Hope that helps. I can't do much of anything till my SGS3 arrives tomorrow.
ALQI
The one in bold is what this request is about actually. Basically to remake that. Because the non-stripped rooted system.img that invisiblek is the one causing most issues for people and people have noted things in there that are not in the factory image. I tried to follow that guide myself but I must be missing something because most of those commands do not work for me. Mind you this is on a Windows PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tonu42
Old
Thanks Meter 311
I could do it, but it'd require more time than whats it worth. Sorry.

XDAholic
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
You are a WORM!!!!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app