[SPRINT] New 2nd update kills search functionality? FIX Available
if this is true, this is bad news....
Originally Posted by aledc78
it fixed google wallet... for sure... Im not sure what it did to google search, but now we cant choose what to search... because we could choose apps, contacts, maps, etc... now it just searches google... maybe to avoid an apple lawsuit?
to fix it, install GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
here is that file
WE HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM
This stops working after a reboot and you have to install the file again for it to work
Only thing I can think of is to root and replace the system file with the old one...not sure though
How to make it stick. Must be rooted
NOTE: You need ROOT! and probably Root Explorer, so you can change permissions, I did it all through the phone, I'm sure you could also use adb but this seemed simpler. Also, I don't think this can in any way break your phone, but just to be safe, make a backup, at least in Titanium, and don't blame me if something goes wrong.
1) Download the apk at the beginning of this thread, place it on your SDcard (or phone) where you'll find it easily.
2) Install root explorer (or equivalent, I used root explorer though)
3) Go to /system/app and mount as R/W
4) move GoogleQuickSearch.apk somewhere else, just so you have it if you need to restore it
5) Go to where you placed the full-featured apk, copy/move it to /system/app
6) Long-Click on GoogleQuickSearch.apk, select permissions, and set to rw-r--r-- (ie, row 1: yes yes no, row 2: yes no no, row 3: yes no no)
7) Hit okay, mount R/O, and quit
8) Go to Settings > Application Manager > All
9) Select Google Search
, and clear data/cache
10) Select Google Services Framework, clear data/cache