Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 54,386 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

US Cellular Variant Offical Thread

Tip us?

Testicopolicious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Default US Cellular Variant Offical Thread

Hey guys, the Samsung Galaxy S III is finally coming to US Cellular this Thursday and/or Friday.
This is the official thread for the US Cellular variant of the phone.
We will discuss mods, flashing, rooting, and etc.

jnadke
Old
Thanks Meter 158
In for my 2 friends on USCC whose phones I'll be rooting (for tether). Hopefully it won't be locked like VZW.
The Following User Says Thank You to jnadke For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Testicopolicious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnadke View Post
In for my 2 friends on USCC whose phones I'll be rooting (for tether). Hopefully it won't be locked like VZW.
It won't, I spoke with a US Cellular representative today and it's where I got the release date and other details.
The thing is, that the phone does have a lot of similarities with Verizon, so the devs have 2 options.
They can make one for US Cellular and edit it for Verizon.
But as Verizon is a larger carrier, they'll probably get the Developer's edition of the phone and then at some point make a root for the US Cellular version.
You think that CyanogenMod 9 or 10 will be supported for the USC variant?

jnadke
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testicopolicious View Post
You think that CyanogenMod 9 or 10 will be supported for the USC variant?
There's no reason why not.

As far as root, the CWM flash method has worked on all variants thus far, I don't see why it won't work on the USCC phone.

Pompsy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I am switching this fall when my contract is up in Verizon to US Cellular. What will the dev scene look like on this phone? Will it be easy to port ROMs from other GS3? If there are very few devs working on this phone, how easy is it for a end user to port the ROM from another GS3?

chakra
Old
Thanks Meter 327
since I already have a mini sim and a lTE acount thats active, from my Galaxy Nexus on verizon, can I just pay cash for the us cellular version and plug in my active sim and it will work?

Testicopolicious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnadke View Post
There's no reason why not.

As far as root, the CWM flash method has worked on all variants thus far, I don't see why it won't work on the USCC phone.
Well, there are already people getting the phone today, but I know that past phones like the Mesmerize and the Aviator have been Cyanogenmod supported, and Root supported.
Do you happen to know which carrier US Cellular has the most similarities to?

Testicopolicious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompsy View Post
I am switching this fall when my contract is up in Verizon to US Cellular. What will the dev scene look like on this phone? Will it be easy to port ROMs from other GS3? If there are very few devs working on this phone, how easy is it for a end user to port the ROM from another GS3?
The US Cellular variant of the Galaxy S II shared a lot of similarities with the Epic4G Touch.
Well, as US Cellular is finally starting to grow, I've seen a lot of developers for AOKP and CM9 discussing the possibilities of ROMs by making it for the 4G Touch, and just porting it over by changing a few things.
I can't answer that last question as I really have no idea on porting ROMs, but as I said in another post, it's either closer to Verizon or Sprint.
But for the S II, I've seen a few threads that it was very easy, but that they just had to change a few things, so I'm assuming that it's not that much of a hassle.

Testicopolicious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakra View Post
since I already have a mini sim and a lTE acount thats active, from my Galaxy Nexus on verizon, can I just pay cash for the us cellular version and plug in my active sim and it will work?
I've tried Googling that but I can't seem to find an answer.
Some answers say yes some say no, but I think that US Cellular has more similarities to Verizon than any other carrier, at least that's my speculation in terms of radios, as they both use the same spectrum.
But you can go to the website and go to a live chat with a representative and ask there.

Pompsy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Has anyone rooted this phone yet? Can we get our own section?

The Following User Says Thank You to Pompsy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]