Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,563 Members 45,125 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Adb will not find Motorola Droid Razr

Tip us?

arsenik13
Old
(Last edited by arsenik13; 11th July 2012 at 10:52 PM.) Reason: solved problem
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Plug Adb will not find Motorola Droid Razr

Question for the community:
I have recently joined the Droid Razr community as a previous Droid Charge owner. I've been having a horrible time getting my device to root. (I've never had issues with any other device).

I installed the motorola drivers for Windows 7.
I am using a Verizon XT912 running android 4.0.4 ICS.

When using any of the auto-root scripts here I get "device not found".

Upon researching further into the situation, I have attempted downloading the android SDK and using the adb that comes with it. I've uninstalled all other phone drivers from Windows 7. I restarted/uninstalled motorola drivers/restarted and adb still finds no devices.

EDIT: I've also tried all the different USB ports on my computer.

I can verify adb doesn't find the droid razr by typing "adb devices" at the command prompt. Windows 7 Device Manager shows Droid Razr installed with a working driver.

Any help would be appreciated.

SOLUTION: I read the thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...oot+ota&page=2 after doing three million different things to my phone. Finally, I did a factory reset. When my phone reset, I did NOT set up my google account. I then made sure the USB mode was in PTP camera mode and USB debugging was on. I installed the motorola drivers from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1539192 !!! DO NOT INSTALL THE ONES FROM MOTOROLA's website, they are pure garbage !!!. adb now recognizes my device.

A big shout out to clifference for posting what worked for him. And a big thumbs down to motorola for posting horrible drivers on their website.

This was such a large problem that I have documented it on my blog. Fix adb Droid Razr Problems
Motorola Razr - Leaked OTA JellyBean
Transformer Prime - AndroWook Prime Hairy Bean v1.51
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arsenik13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JPtheSmith
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default THANK YOU

Have been beating my head against this issue for weeks (ever since the ICS OTA update). I was on the verge of reinstalling Windows, but this fixed the issue completely. THANK YOU!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenik13 View Post
I have recently joined the Droid Razr community as a previous Droid Charge owner. I've been having a horrible time getting my device to root. (I've never had issues with any other device).

Upon researching further into the situation, I have attempted downloading the android SDK and using the adb that comes with it. I've uninstalled all other phone drivers from Windows 7. I restarted/uninstalled motorola drivers/restarted and adb still finds no devices.

I can verify adb doesn't find the droid razr by typing "adb devices" at the command prompt. Windows 7 Device Manager shows Droid Razr installed with a working driver.

SOLUTION: I read the thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...oot+ota&page=2 after doing three million different things to my phone. Finally, I did a factory reset. When my phone reset, I did NOT set up my google account. I then made sure the USB mode was in PTP camera mode and USB debugging was on. I installed the motorola drivers from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1539192 !!! DO NOT INSTALL THE ONES FROM MOTOROLA's website, they are pure garbage !!!. adb now recognizes my device.

A big shout out to clifference for posting what worked for him. And a big thumbs down to motorola for posting horrible drivers on their website.

This was such a large problem that I have documented it on my blog. Fix adb Droid Razr Problems
DroidSmith.Blogspot.com

percevalknight
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Keeps disappearing

Resetting worked for me... for minutes. Then the phone didn't show again.
I'm on a Mac, there are no drivers. Simply keeps disappearing after the first time it works, and then I have to reset again.
There also is an official thread on Motodev community.

wintermute85
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Big thanks from me! I worked on this all weekend and could NOT figure out why I could never see device as ADB. Factory Reset and immediately connecting worked long enough to get me rooted

vazersecurity
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:

Good to know the solution works. I had to use it. I was never aware that you had to have your device in camera mode when connected to your PC. That's what was screwing me..
CURRENTLY ACTIVE DEVICE: MOTOROLA DROID RAZR (CDMA XT912)
=================
=================
ROM: LATEST CM 11 Nightly Build
OWNED SINCE: October 2013
=================
DROID Incredible 4G LTE Owners: XDA Group

JoLoLo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Losing hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazersecurity View Post
Good to know the solution works. I had to use it. I was never aware that you had to have your device in camera mode when connected to your PC. That's what was screwing me..
I have the similar issue... just my problem is much more complex since I cant enter the Android or do anything with the phone. My phone keep on restarting every 1 min while showing dead android picture in a meantime.

I cant use RSD Lite and fastboot new android on my phone, since phone isnt connected with computer and computer always keep on showing me message:
The last USB device conected to this computer is malfunctioned windows can not recognize it.
Recommendation:
Try reconnecting device. If Windows stil does not recognize it, your device may not work properly.

I tried installilng new drivers million times. I tried using motohelper drivers but still the same. Also I changed PC but again the same!!!!

I cant use ADB since my phone isnt connected with computer, same issue.

While watching dead android picture I can just enter recovery mode where I have these options:

-reboot system now
-apply update from external storage
-apply update from ADB
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition

I tried wipe options but nothing. While I cant update from ADB.

I really dont know what to do...

vazersecurity
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLoLo View Post
I have the similar issue... just my problem is much more complex since I cant enter the Android or do anything with the phone. My phone keep on restarting every 1 min while showing dead android picture in a meantime.

I cant use RSD Lite and fastboot new android on my phone, since phone isnt connected with computer and computer always keep on showing me message:
The last USB device conected to this computer is malfunctioned windows can not recognize it.
Recommendation:
Try reconnecting device. If Windows stil does not recognize it, your device may not work properly.

I tried installilng new drivers million times. I tried using motohelper drivers but still the same. Also I changed PC but again the same!!!!

I cant use ADB since my phone isnt connected with computer, same issue.

While watching dead android picture I can just enter recovery mode where I have these options:

-reboot system now
-apply update from external storage
-apply update from ADB
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition

I tried wipe options but nothing. While I cant update from ADB.

I really dont know what to do...
So you can't get the computer to connect to the phone while it's in fastboot mode?
=================
=================
=================

JoLoLo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vazersecurity View Post
So you can't get the computer to connect to the phone while it's in fastboot mode?
First the problem was somehow with drivers, but I got advice to uninstall all drivers (Motorola, Nokia, Samsung) which I had on my PC, and to reinstall just motorola drivers, and that fixed problem.

After that I got new problem with empty battery, so my phone was completely briced, but creating a factory cable solve everything

vazersecurity
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLoLo View Post
First the problem was somehow with drivers, but I got advice to uninstall all drivers (Motorola, Nokia, Samsung) which I had on my PC, and to reinstall just motorola drivers, and that fixed problem.

After that I got new problem with empty battery, so my phone was completely briced, but creating a factory cable solve everything
Okay, good to know you got the problem solved.
=================
=================
=================

Tags
adb, device not found, droid razr