Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,836 Members 41,581 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Will the Ouya be a Success
Hell Yes!!! 3 100.00%
You Kidding Me? 0 0%
Imma stick to my PC/Console 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

The Ouya: An Android ICS Gaming Console

Tip us?

ixIGamerIx
Old
(Last edited by ixIGamerIx; 13th March 2013 at 08:02 PM.) Reason: More info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Arrow The Ouya: An Android ICS Gaming Console

Quote:
For those of you that haven't heard, Android Gaming is taking on a new face... an actual CONSOLE, that's right folks, your very on console, here are the specs and the back story behind this amazing creation:

OUYA began as a project concept like many, but has quickly set itself aside from any other project that may have been like it. In the course of 8 hours, OUYA has raised 1 million dollars as a new Kickstarter Project, and this is not even including the other 29 days left for funding (people must really wanna see this come to pass). Here is why its so great (SPEC CHECK):

- Tegra3 quad-core processor
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB of internal flash storage
- HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth LE 4.0
- USB 2.0 (one)
- Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
- Shipped Android 4.1

Pretty impressive right?Due to the unexpected increase in funding, we could very well see an increase in that internal flash storage, maybe even an expandable memory slot, who knows. But all of that Tegra 3 quad core, ice cream sandwich, 8 Gig goodness is not even the best part! This console has been rumored to hit a TV near you one day for a mere $99. That's right, you could Enjoy all your favorites, whether you're a shooter addict and have a taste for some alien slaying in N.O.V.A. 3, or maybe you like to feel the virtual wind in your hair in a nice race in Real Racing 2, and for you people that love to serve your country, shoot a couple of spies in Modern Combat 3, all for less than the price equivalent of 2 new Xbox 360 games. Not to mention, with Android's recent participation in Major League Gaming, this could set the bar on a new plateau. The (virtual gaming) world is your oyster, and these are just the hard core games, the sky is the limit with compatibility due to it running our favorite sweet treat OS version.

Want to check out a video from the developers themselves, check it out HERE

And for all you developers and hackers, this is your call to fame! the console is (and I quote from the people that made it) "hackable". read this quote from Mobile Magazine:

Perhaps the even bigger kicker is that there is an open SDK where they promise to provide digitally-delivered titles for free. I imagine the marketplace will start with a handful of freeware titles and free-to-try games, but it has to open up to paid games eventually.

So any and all (LEGITIMATE!!!! NO PIRACY IS CONDONED, but then again, that's Android's major loophole with the whole Open Source thing) hacking and modding is welcomed, say goodbye to JTAG-ing or jumping through hoops to make your console your own (you paid for it so you should be able to do any LEGITIMATE, cant stress that enough, modifications you want! get the message Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo?).

So, you could spend $400 on a Galaxy Tab, or even $200 for the Nexus 7 for HDMI output, OR you can pay $100 for a console that (due to the vigorous nature of the Android Community) will inevitably get full access to the Google Play Store for you to play your favorite games (and maybe apps, don't quote me on that though) on your 1080p HD screen. BUT I'm just the messenger droid, the real magic is happening behind the scenes and hopefully we can get some awesom updates! Stay on the lookout for this project, and keep on gaming!

Thanks for reading guys,

Wanna read MORE? check out these stories about OUYA

MOBILE MAG ARTICLE
GAMESPOT ARTICLE
KICKSTARTER ARTICLE
DROID GAMERS ARTICLE

Credits Go to ognimnella for typing this out (Im too Lazy and Busy to do it LOL, Keep in Mind, i did ask him :P)

Are you buying one? Comment below!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE I !!!

Onlive Available on The Ouya at Launch

The Android console Ouya has signed a deal with cloud gaming service OnLive, meaning hundreds of games from over 80 publishers will be available when the console is eventually released next March.

UK boss of OnLive Bruce Grove said, "When OnLive first heard about OUYA, we were excited to see console gaming becoming more available and open. Like OUYA, we came to gaming with a new vision for making top-quality gaming accessible to more people, and we continue to look for ways to expand on that vision.

"OUYA is rethinking the console business, making waves by using standard technology to make gaming for your living room accessible, affordable and more innovative than ever. In OnLive's case, we pioneered a groundbreaking, cloud-based system that instantly delivers games to any device on demand."

Design Still in Progress

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE II !!!

Square Enix has announced it will release Final Fantasy III as a launch title for the Ouya console in March 2013.

In a statement translated by Square Portal, the company promised that they will also be providing more content in the future.

Final Fantasy III originally released on the NES back in 1990 and became the first Final Fantasy title to sell over a million copies, but has since had a 2006 remake for the DS. It seems this is the version Ouya owners will be getting as this was ported for Android devices last month, which is the operating system that the upcoming console will use
The Following User Says Thank You to ixIGamerIx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xaccers
Old
Thanks Meter 410
I love the ethos behind it

Probably posted while on the loo

"Many phenomena wars, plagues, sudden audits have been advanced as evidence for the hidden hand of Satan in the affairs of man, but whenever students of demonology get together the M25 London orbital motorway is generally agreed to be among the top contenders for exhibit A."

Masteq
Old
Thanks Meter 47
seriously, i don't see future for this. now every android-based device can run a lot of games, and more are coming. and stationary consoles like xbox and ps have much more to offer, but it comes with higher price, but it's a trade-off. Good luck though!!

Akronon
Old
Thanks Meter 1
They are up over $3M now, so I'm pretty sure they'll be able to give this a go. At $99, I think they have a shot for a lot of people who don't want to slap $200-300 down for a console (which appear to be moving to a digital download/streaming model anyway).

If they advertise well people buy them as a "first console" for their kids, they should sell enough to get into the market.

I'm interested in seeing how this project plays out.

thecashblaster
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronon View Post
They are up over $3M now, so I'm pretty sure they'll be able to give this a go. At $99, I think they have a shot for a lot of people who don't want to slap $200-300 down for a console (which appear to be moving to a digital download/streaming model anyway).

If they advertise well people buy them as a "first console" for their kids, they should sell enough to get into the market.

I'm interested in seeing how this project plays out.
basically, it's going be a a small computer based off a tablet operating system

looks interesting and if 99$ is the price, I think it will garner a lot of attention/interest... perhaps something that can compete against the apple tv?

ixIGamerIx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Personally i think its going to be a succes, the fact that it is based of Android allows a VAST amount of customizations, Developers might even be able to make custom roms for it, it just opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for android and the gaming community

dapezboy
Old
(Last edited by dapezboy; 12th July 2012 at 01:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
I think this is a fantastic idea! and I just pre-ordered mine for $99. Stoked to see where this goes!

Although, this does need the ability to have an external HDD, 8GB just ain't gonna cut it for AAA games, or more than 5 games on it at a time.

traskers
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
There is a nice review of this idea in Phandriud, I believe. With a read if you are excited for this.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

salvasaur
Old
(Last edited by salvasaur; 12th July 2012 at 05:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixIGamerIx View Post
Personally i think its going to be a succes, the fact that it is based of Android allows a VAST amount of customizations, Developers might even be able to make custom roms for it, it just opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for android and the gaming community
With ≈25,000 consoles already sold by the second day and dev communities like XDA, I think this is already on its way to be a success. Once more people understand it's not all about flashy graphics, but more about free-to-play and tinkering with your home console, I think even more people will jump on board. On top of that, at $99 it's got high end tablet specs. Which will cost you 5x times as much. If this hits retail stores lots of parents and grandparents will be looking at this as gifts for the holidays.

I've pledged my console's worth and can't wait to get my hands on it.

HTC One -- Rooted
ROM: Stock 4.4.2
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

Nexus 10 -- Rooted
ROM: Stock 4.4.2

swbf2lord
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
I'm very interested in it. Now I just need to come up with $100...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Current Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Previous Device(s): Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Droid 3, Motorola Droid X2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, Motorola Droid RAZR, HTC Trophy, Samsung Fascinate, Droid RAZR MAXX, HTC 8X, Motorola Droid RAZR HD
Current Tablet(s): Motorola Xoom
Previous Tablet(s): Acer Iconia Tab A100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffStuff
Trading Phones Is A Disease