External Storage Device Compatibility Review

Search This thread

Censura_Umbra

Apr 10, 2011
Boston, MA
After reading some experiences on my other thread about how some USB devices work perfectly, and some only allow you to see and copy your material I am starting this thread so that people that need to buy external storage but are afraid it may not work.

So some people that already have the Nexus7 have been able to have Full USB support. Some have not been so lucky.

Here is how to have full usb support:

Step 1) Root your Nexus

Step 2) Download and set up the app Stickmount

Step 3) buy a usb drive and a USB-OTG cable (plenty of threads on where to buy

Step 4) Post your results in this thread using the forum below.

Nexus7 16GB or 8GB

USB device: (Manufacturer, model, size, etc. Whether it is USBdrive, Harddrive, or sdcard)

USB-OTG cord: (Brand, purchased from, relevant thread)

Could you see the files in the Nexus7 native file explorer?: Yes or No

Could you see them with any other explorer? Yes or no
If yes which one: (App name)

Do the files open normally from the explorer? (Can you click on a song and have it open automatically in your default music player? How about pics? Movies? apks?): Yes or no
If no: What happened? Was there an error? Did you find a workaround?

This should help us buy the right brands so we don't waste our money.

NOTE TO THE MODS:
This is not a thread requesting deals, or a thread discussing how to host USB

This thread is just for the effectiveness of each device.

This thread should ONLY have posts with the above format and replies that are designed to help fix any problems with that device.

If you want to discuss anything about the Nexus7's ability to host, or about it's host development, etc please post in this general thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1736825

Please only post in this thread if you have a review of your experiences, or if you have a method to fix someone's problematic experiences (though that could be handled through PM and then the OP of that review could update their post.

Let's keep this as a neat organized reference. If you want to thank anyone in this thread, just hit the thanks button, no need to post.

flub

Nov 17, 2008
I have 16 gig nexus 7

I can play videos browse files etc using File Manager HD ( free in market)
cable is just cheap generic Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable from Amazon £2.99 that I had brought for my Galaxy Note
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aftermarket-Product-T-Flash-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNQXS/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=ADSCLDKL0FHCQ
Card is a sandisk 16gb micro sd card inserted in the supplied sandisk reader, card is formatted fat32

update
Just checked
pictures & video open fine with default app or giving choice of app by just clicking on them

Last edited:

Censura_Umbra

Apr 10, 2011
Boston, MA
Updated.

Nexus7 16GB

USB device: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MXON98/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

USB-OTG cord: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FUNYSA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Could you see the files in the Nexus7 native file explorer?: no native explorer

Could you see them with any other explorer? Yes
If yes which one: Es file explorer

Do the files open normally from the explorer? (Can you click on a song and have it open automatically in your default music player? How about pics? Movies? apks?): Yes but most video files only worked on vplayer. Tried MX player but it would only open mkv, and wouldn't give me sound. But the picture quality seemed better.

Everything works perfectly
Off to test out controllers

Last edited:
Reactions: t0406peru

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
Nexus7 8GB I/O

USB device: 16gb sandisc class 2 microSD card (FAT32) inside sandisk sd card reader

USB-OTG cord: generic from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081CRXGI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Could you see the files in the Nexus7 native file explorer?: unaware there is a native file explorer

If yes which one: Root Explorer

Do the files open normally from the explorer? Yes (tried video and audio so far)

DONNY TRUMP

Oct 27, 2010
Your moms house?
I have 16 gig nexus 7

cable is just cheap generic Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable from Amazon £2.99 that I had brought for my Galaxy Note
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aftermarket-Product-T-Flash-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNQXS/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=ADSCLDKL0FHCQ
Card is a sandisk 16gb micro sd card inserted in the supplied sandisk reader, card is formatted fat32

update
Just checked
pictures & video open fine with default app or giving choice of app by just clicking on them

Do we need to use a specific kernel? Also under file manager, what label is it under? I cant seem to find anything

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
Just tested my setup with a WD passport and it doesn't look like it has enough power to spin the drive up, but personally I don't really want to carry a hard drive around, uSD and flash drives are okay with me :)

6c177b37-1fa1-c478.jpg

Up m4v playing with super video ROM micro SD card
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lol604

Jul 17, 2012
Anyone order this one?

dx.com/p/micro-usb-on-the-go-host-otg-adapter-pair-50774?item=1

I just bought this one but haven't tested yet(I still don't have my N7). Anyone know if this would work? I am considering cancelling my order from dx.com and purchasing another adapter that is confirmed works.

DONNY TRUMP

Oct 27, 2010
Your moms house?
1) no, just root
2) read op. Also read description for stickmount.
3) READ OP this thread is for review, questions go in the other thread.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

So if someone says "yeah I got it to work" I should open up the other thread and ask that person that posted his results on this thread how he got it to work since im having trouble? OMG yeah that makes sense. why didn't i think of that. unbelievable.

Edit time: I got it working, set up is as follows:

Nexus 7 8gb

Generic USB OTG cable from ebay $2.50 (US Seller) I believe Amazon has them for cheaper
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20078495618...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_981wt_1037

Kingston 16gb micro Flash $10
http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-datatraveler-micro-16gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-blue/227277954.html

and downloaded Stickmount. Once it worked I could open the files with Astro. Made a shortcut/widget to that folder, once plugged in, just click and browse. Makes it much easier.

Last edited:

feelinfroggy23

May 3, 2012
Only thing is that cable ships from hong Kong. Its going to take weeks to get to you. Anyone know of a retailer that sales them?

Censura_Umbra

Apr 10, 2011
Boston, MA
So if someone says "yeah I got it to work" I should open up the other thread and ask that person that posted his results on this thread how he got it to work since im having trouble? OMG yeah that makes sense. why didn't i think of that. unbelievable.

Edit time: I got it working, set up is as follows:

Nexus 7 8gb

Generic USB OTG cable from ebay $2.50 (US Seller) I believe Amazon has them for cheaper
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20078495618...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_981wt_1037

Kingston 16gb micro Flash $10
http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-datatraveler-micro-16gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-blue/227277954.html

and downloaded Stickmount. Once it worked I could open the files with Astro. Made a shortcut/widget to that folder, once plugged in, just click and browse. Makes it much easier.

No, you can pm them. Only reason is so that the mods don't close this thread for being too similar to the other thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

DONNY TRUMP

Oct 27, 2010
Your moms house?
Only thing is that cable ships from hong Kong. Its going to take weeks to get to you. Anyone know of a retailer that sales them?

huh? What cable? I just gave you an ebay link that ships from Brooklyn, NY. I ordered it go to me in 2 days. Ebay has a bunch of US sellers selling these cables all of which ship from the US, but keep an eye on the "should reach to you by this date" thing. I noticed some said 11-20 business days while others said a couple days from the order date. Only thing that sucks is that US sellers are usually at least 2x the price of hong kongers which in this case means $3 instead of $1.50 lol

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I may try this one. How can they ship a 95 cent item free from Hong Kong? I like this one because it looks real small (would just keep it attached to the flash drive).

Reactions: Pallens

matt.wolfley

Dec 1, 2009
Okay, so I had a cable from a LONG LONG time ago and I know I got it on amazon but I don't remember where. What I'm posting for is I just formatted a micro SD Card to NTFS and loaded a movie on it and it plays AMAZING from the USB. I used stickmount after root, obviously, but I'm most impressed with flash NTFS support!! Looking now for a 128 GB USB stick if anyone has one to recommend.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After reading some experiences on my other thread about how some USB devices work perfectly, and some only allow you to see and copy your material I am starting this thread so that people that need to buy external storage but are afraid it may not work.

So some people that already have the Nexus7 have been able to have Full USB support. Some have not been so lucky.

Here is how to have full usb support:

Step 1) Root your Nexus

Step 2) Download and set up the app Stickmount

Step 3) buy a usb drive and a USB-OTG cable (plenty of threads on where to buy

Step 4) Post your results in this thread using the forum below.

Nexus7 16GB or 8GB

USB device: (Manufacturer, model, size, etc. Whether it is USBdrive, Harddrive, or sdcard)

USB-OTG cord: (Brand, purchased from, relevant thread)

Could you see the files in the Nexus7 native file explorer?: Yes or No

Could you see them with any other explorer? Yes or no
    If yes which one: (App name)

Do the files open normally from the explorer? (Can you click on a song and have it open automatically in your default music player? How about pics? Movies? apks?): Yes or no
    If no: What happened? Was there an error? Did you find a workaround?

This should help us buy the right brands so we don't waste our money.

NOTE TO THE MODS:
    This is not a thread requesting deals, or a thread discussing how to host USB

This thread is just for the effectiveness of each device.

This thread should ONLY have posts with the above format and replies that are designed to help fix any problems with that device.

If you want to discuss anything about the Nexus7's ability to host, or about it's host development, etc please post in this general thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1736825

Please only post in this thread if you have a review of your experiences, or if you have a method to fix someone's problematic experiences (though that could be handled through PM and then the OP of that review could update their post.

Let's keep this as a neat organized reference. If you want to thank anyone in this thread, just hit the thanks button, no need to post.
    I have 16 gig nexus 7

update
    Just checked
    I got OTG working. This just upped the value of the Nexus 7 to me considerably.

16 G rooted.

OTG Cable: [Aftermarket Product] 3x x3 3pcs Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter For Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note Replace Replacement - from Amazon

Drive: Patriot Supersonic 32 GB USB 3.0 High Performance Shock Resistant Flash Drive PEF32GSUSB - from Amazon

File Explorer: File Manager HD from the PS

It played music and video directly from the drive. 720p MKV played without any issues with MX player from the drive.

Happy camper
    Nexus7 8GB I/O

USB device: 16gb sandisc class 2 microSD card (FAT32) inside sandisk sd card reader

USB-OTG cord: generic from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081CRXGI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Could you see the files in the Nexus7 native file explorer?: unaware there is a native file explorer

If yes which one: Root Explorer

Do the files open normally from the explorer? Yes (tried video and audio so far)
    Now there needs to be a case made that allows for the USB drive to be tucked away so we don't need to worry about it.