Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,429 Members 53,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Jelly Bean looking to improve user-experience for Netbook-like Android-devices

Tip us?

josteink
Old
(Last edited by josteink; 13th July 2012 at 09:51 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1438
Talking Jelly Bean looking to improve user-experience for Netbook-like Android-devices

Good news everyone!

I just thought I'd make a small report on a small (but nice) discovery.

I've just tried to hook up a normal USB keyboard to my Galaxy Nexus running latest Jelly Bean build.

This used to work fine on ICS as well, but then I had to accept that Android only knew about en-US qwerty keyboards and if you had anything else, well too bad. ICS wasn't really built to have external non-onscreen keyboards attached.

I guess most international Transformer with a keyboard dock users have witnessed how that plays out when the ROM author isn't spending most of his time trying to make Asus keyboard work on his build. It doesn't really work very well at all.

Now... On Jelly Bean this is a completely different story.
Behold the following screenshots:

Connect external keyboard via USB OTG adapter: Get this.

Click on it. Notice "Physical keyboard" in list of configurable devices.

Click on "Physical keyboard" and you get this:

And if you choose a locale here (like Norwegian, which has , which you most definitely don't have in en-US qwerty), pressing those keys works just fine.

No hacking. Works out of the box. Out of the box of a AOSP Android build with no custom Asus APKs.

This is promising very well for getting maximum Netbook out of our TF101s once the Jelly Bean builds starts rolling
Enhanche your Android with sleeping kitties! Optionally restrain your device with the Android Straitjacket.

HTC One LTE - Unlocked, S-OFF with Google edition firmware
Nexus 7 (2013) "Razor" - Stock
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to josteink For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

josteink
Old
(Last edited by josteink; 13th July 2012 at 09:15 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1438
Just plugged in a mouse.

Got a nice, System 7-like black mouse pointer and not some smudgy round, imprecise touch-point like I did on stock AOSP ICS.

Screenshot below:
Enhanche your Android with sleeping kitties! Optionally restrain your device with the Android Straitjacket.

omniuni
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by josteink View Post
No hacking. Works out of the box. Out of the box of a AOSP Android build with no custom Asus APKs.

This is promising very well for getting maximum Netbook out of our TF101s once the Jelly Bean builds starts rolling
This should also be a great help on keyboarded phones like the Droid 4. One of the more annoying aspects has always been getting they keyboard working right since Android didn't understand keys like "caps-lock" without some serious tweaking.

mrevankyle
Old
Thanks Meter 540
Quote:
Just plugged in a mouse.

Got a nice, System 7-like black mouse pointer and not some smudgy round, imprecise touch-point like I did on stock AOSP ICS.
Well you could always switch between the circle and pointer but the pointer was outlined in blue not grey so it looked stupid. I noticed that they switched out a lot of the blue things with grey when i was making my JB theme
Galaxy Note II-OmniRom Asus Transformer- Stockish(Media Center)
"Thank the devs, Thank the contributors"

josteink
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1438
Forgot to mention: scrolling with mouse-wheel works too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

vlasac
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Good news everyone!

I just thought I'd make a small report on a small (but nice) discovery.

I've just tried to hook up a normal USB keyboard to my Galaxy Nexus running latest Jelly Bean build.

This used to work fine on ICS as well, but then I had to accept that Android only knew about en-US qwerty keyboards and if you had anything else, well too bad. ICS wasn't really built to have external non-onscreen keyboards attached.

I guess most international Transformer with a keyboard dock users have witnessed how that plays out when the ROM author isn't spending most of his time trying to make Asus keyboard work on his build. It doesn't really work very well at all.

And if you choose a locale here (like Norwegian, which has , which you most definitely don't have in en-US qwerty), pressing those keys works just fine.

When I bought bluetootoh keyboard with Croatian layout I discovered TF don't recognize when I press Croatian characters. Then I found External Keyboard Helper Pro, wich solves that problem in almost any case (it still don't work in Chrome). So I suppose it can work for USB keyboard too while waiting for JB.
Tags
dock, jelly bean, tf101