Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,363 Members 46,643 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[EASIEST WAY ROM DUMP] ROM dumping method for any phone.

Tip us?

shahabazas
Old
(Last edited by shahabazas; 15th July 2012 at 09:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Thumbs up [EASIEST WAY ROM DUMP] ROM dumping method for any phone.

Need ROOT access

I tried these all to dump my phones ROM

http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.pt/2012/03/increasing-g11i-pro-and-hd7-internal.html

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...tition-images/

And many others also where i can find the ways to dump ROM but no success then i can across this site

http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/

but still dint got success then thaught to just do some changes in the steps and then had done those

1. I downloaded the romdump_v82b.zip from http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/
2. Copy and paste the romdump file to /data/local/(open root browers /root access file manager and then go to data folder and then open local folder and paste the file romdump)
3. Long press romdump file and select permission and check all boxes.
4. Created a folder name romdump in sd card and
5. Open Terminal Emulator in phone and followed the steps below mentioned and got the ROM dumped in my sd card

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ su
# chmod 04755 /data/local/romdump
# /data/local/romdump

You will see all the things whats going on below if you see this then you will get the ROM dumped if not then follow the steps once again

Android ROM dumper v0.82b
(c)2011 Sebastian404
Device : ALPS.GB.FDD2.MP.V3.9

Creating required files... done.
Opening mtd table... done.
Dumping kernel config... /proc/config.gz: No such file or directory
done.
Dumping boot partition... done.
Dumping recovery partition... done.
Dumping system partition... done.
Creating Checksums... done.
Cleaning up... done.
All done.

#
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to shahabazas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mengagumkan
Old
(Last edited by mengagumkan; 22nd July 2012 at 04:38 AM.) Reason: mistake, typed some instead of someone
Thanks Meter 7
Tablet This works but is it valid or useful?

Hi everybody.
I tested this method on tablet M005 dual SIM from Chinabuye (unknown manufacturer) and I confirm that it works. Reading the shahabazas post I was not sure if the file 'romdump' is to be copied to computer /data/local/ folder or the same folder on the tablet so if anybody would have the same doubts I clarify that it is the folder on the tablet/phone.

I have serious doubts however. Everywhere I searched on backup/restore of the stock ROM I was reading that to take the copy of the stock ROM the system must be not running. That's how the CM Recovery works. In the romdump method however the system is running while taking the copy of ROM. So I have 2 questions:

1. Is the copy of ROM taken this way valid/accurate?

2. How to use the romdump files to flash the ROM back in the case that something goes wrong later on and flashing it back will become necessary?

Here is the list of the files you get after running romdump:

config.gz
system.info.gz
boot.img
recovery.img
system.tar
checksum.md5

I would appreciate if someone could answer those questions or point me to corresponding info as I want to over/under clock my tablet and that involves flushing custom kernel. This model of tablet is not popular and does not have custom kernel or ROMs available for download and I will have to cook it myself in which case it is very likely that I will brick it.
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to mengagumkan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ruscan.calin
Old
Thanks Meter 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengagumkan View Post

1. Is the copy of ROM taken this way valid/accurate?

2. How to use the romdump files to flash the ROM back in the case that something goes wrong later on and flashing it back will become necessary?
well, romdump is very useful to create a custom rom how to do that is another/long question you can't confirm will work for all phones if you don't have sources of that application also if this is good/accurate well just restore boot/system/recovery partition on your phone and now you are sure about that (yes backup before!)
to restore use fastboot utility i.e. let's say you have a problem entering recovery mode then
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
to overclock your tablet you need to edit files in kernel so you need kernel sources if you don't have that forget about that
do nothing if not sure about because I have some doubts about these Chinese tablets -how to restore to stock rom ? - just in case !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruscan.calin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mengagumkan
Old
(Last edited by mengagumkan; 24th July 2012 at 09:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Default Series of "silly" questions

First of all thank you ruscan.callin for your response.
I am quite familiar with Linux and I use Ubuntu every day so knowing, that linux is open source and modifiable in many ways, I thought that it would be possible to extract kernel from tablet, from there extract all files or modules (I am not yet very familiar with kernel structure) and then modify files, scripts, etc. to suit and pack it back to img format and flash to tablet. After all, Android is a Linux, right? Maybe my way of thinking is wrong?
I imagined that all those wonderful people from CM that do so many ROMs and modified kernels for popular phones and tablets work this way, that is, they don't have access to manufacturer's source codes? Or do they have access to different source codes for every specific model they work on (in case they are all different)?
Maybe it is possible to work from Android kernel source code publicised by Google and change there frequency and voltage values then compile a kernel back and flush it? Will then all buttons and TV, radio, sensors and other hardware work as they should?
My tablet has Android 2.3.6 and kernel 2.6.35.7, does it mean that the source code for it is open and available for download or is it modified in some way by the manufacturer (I mean the kernel, not the apps)? I would think that if this was modified it should have some different name like 2.3.6-M005 and 2.6.35.7-M005 (in this case M005 is a model number) or something like that?
I already managed to root this tablet and all works but it is slow with some aps like GPS, Maps and Navigation, and has low capacity battery, about 1800 mAh, so I thought that over/underclocking would help to speed it up on demand and save battery when speed is not needed.
Apart from that I have problem with romdump files because a romdump gives (amongst others) boot.img and system.tar and the latter is a tar archive of system folder and not the tar archive of system.img file so the Android Kitchen does not accept it as a ROM. Therefore the problem is how to make romdump files to be acceptable by the Kitchen?
I would appreciate any responses, thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to mengagumkan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mengagumkan
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default Some questions answered

Well, nobody bothered to answer my questions so I try to answer them myself just in case that other noobs like me would read it.

Yes, it is safe to say that every device model has different ROM and kernel.

Android and kernel publicized by Google as a source code work as is only for devices sold by Google. Other models by various manufactures have all different kernels, recovery or engineering modes and ROMs. Often manufacturers do not publicize source code so it is difficult to modify kernels, albeit possible. It is in fact done by pulling the kernel and/or ROM out, modify it and put it back with better features.

Most tutorials do not work for most people starit "from the box" and require some changes because all user's computers are different, so people who are serious about android mods have to find their own ways that work for them taking tutorials as a guide only.

In my case I found that the CPU MT6573 in my tablet model M005 works well even at 998 MHz and there is MTK CPU Control app on Google Play that can increase the cpu speed to 806 MHz so there is no need for me to trod into murky ways of kernel modyfications for now. I installed the app and my tablet runs at 806 MHz no problems. Now I need to find a way to improve the battery life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mengagumkan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

schlex2010
Old
(Last edited by schlex2010; 16th October 2012 at 08:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 66
Try to use romdump on my Acer Iconia A210 Tablet:

Code:
/data/local/romdump
(c)2011 Sebastian404
Device : Acer_AV043_A210_1.034.00_EMEA_DE

Creating required files... cat: can't open '/proc/mtd': No such file or directory
gzip: can't open '/sdcard/romdump//system.info.gz': File exists
done.
Opening mtd table... Segmentation fault
Tool don't work for me on my iconia a210 but I tried to use dd. That works
Samsung Galaxy S4 (9505) with ECHOE ROM V24

Beer Brand
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for this method! Would this word on a Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) 32 bit?

kingayazkhan
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default thanks

thanks for info.

stimpy84
Old
(Last edited by stimpy84; 29th November 2012 at 04:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlex2010 View Post
Try to use romdump on my Acer Iconia A210 Tablet:

Code:
/data/local/romdump
(c)2011 Sebastian404
Device : Acer_AV043_A210_1.034.00_EMEA_DE

Creating required files... cat: can't open '/proc/mtd': No such file or directory
gzip: can't open '/sdcard/romdump//system.info.gz': File exists
done.
Opening mtd table... Segmentation fault
Tool don't work for me on my iconia a210 but I tried to use dd. That works
I, too, tried getting this to work on an Iconia tablet, but ran into the same issue. Beware that
Code:
dd
doesn't actually work and will create a corrupt image. I had read a insightful post into why this was, but (of course) had no luck finding it back.

Instead, I modified romdump to look in a temporary path following this answer on Stack Overflow:
unix.stackexchange.com/a/56939/26151

My steps were:
  1. Download romdump
  2. Edit it under linux using
    Code:
    sed s-/proc/mtd-/tmp/mntx- < romdump > romdump.new
  3. Push
    Code:
    romdump.new
    to the device
  4. Code:
    adb shell
    to the device and execute:
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp
    ln -s /proc/mounts /tmp/mntx
    chmod 04755 /data/local/romdump.new
    /data/local/romdump.new
  5. Locate the backup at
    Code:
    /mnt/sdcard/romdump
The Following User Says Thank You to stimpy84 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stimpy84
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy84 View Post
I, too, tried getting this to work on an Iconia tablet, but ran into the same issue. Beware that
Code:
dd
doesn't actually work and will create a corrupt image. I had read a insightful post into why this was, but (of course) had no luck finding it back.
I found the source of that statement:
modaco.com /topic/327661-how-to-backup-the-systemimg-bootimg-and-recoveryimg/#entry1534321

(Sorry for the broken URLs, but the forum won't allow me to post any.)