[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter [Tmobile / Wind / Mobilicity / Videotron]

OP mrRobinson

14th July 2012, 02:22 PM   |  #11  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,344

2,367 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M9x3mos

Awesome!
Just to make sure I have this right then.
We can Root, install CWM, and then install custom roms without triping the counter?!?!

yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by M9x3mos

And then if needed I assume you can flash stock odin!
All with no trip of the counter?

yes. Once there is a way to reset the counter people won't care as much about not tripping it. Unless the reset method is difficult or dangerous but for now as long as you never initially trip the counter you can simply flash back to stock and your phone is still covered under warranty.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2012, 02:43 PM   |  #12  
Flag Boynton Beach
Thanks Meter: 450

1,700 posts
More
OK, I used this, and everything appears to have gone fine. I have root now. Curious though, when it booted back up, nothing appears to have changed, except superuser is there now. I thought it would have reset the whole phone back to factory new.
14th July 2012, 02:52 PM   |  #13  

2,367 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevessvt

OK, I used this, and everything appears to have gone fine. I have root now. Curious though, when it booted back up, nothing appears to have changed, except superuser is there now. I thought it would have reset the whole phone back to factory new.

Nope. it'll overwrite anything in /system you may have done. but doesn't touch sdcard or /data.
So that means if you had a cm9 or aokp loaded and used this you'd boot into a bunch of errors more than likely and would want to manually factory reset.

Edit: also i had no way to test this so you are confirmation it is working. prob should have put that in the first post but was late last night and forgot. So sorry and thanks!
(you weren't at risk of tripping counter, i've done this before, worst case was system image wouldn't flash and you'd have to load the stock one via odin)

Edit2: plus you are like 20 min from me so if I broke your phone I'd have come and fixed it
Last edited by mrRobinson; 14th July 2012 at 02:58 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2012, 03:00 PM   |  #14  
Flag Boynton Beach

1,700 posts
More
Speaking of if I ever need to odin back to stock, I have the stock T999 rom from samsung, and it has 2 files in the zip, a .dll and a .tar. How do I use these to revert back to stock? I guess the .tar goes under pda, where does the .dll go? Or does it?
The Following User Says Thank You to stevessvt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2012, 03:03 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 17

159 posts
If you're worried about warranty just wait firva triangle away, personally I have insurance. I'll toss my phone in a lake and bring it back that way lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
14th July 2012, 03:04 PM   |  #16  

2,367 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevessvt

Speaking of if I ever need to odin back to stock, I have the stock T999 rom from samsung, and it has 2 files in the zip, a .dll and a .tar. How do I use these to revert back to stock? I guess the .tar goes under pda, where does the .dll go? Or does it?

.dll goes in recycle bin.
.tar in pda.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2012, 03:07 PM   |  #17  
Flag Boynton Beach

1,700 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRobinson

.tar in pda.

Lol, OK....

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonykash

If you're worried about warranty just wait firva triangle away, personally I have insurance. I'll toss my phone in a lake and bring it back that way lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

No reason to now. This works flawlessly
14th July 2012, 03:12 PM   |  #18  
Flag Hershey PA
Thanks Meter: 852

2,536 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRobinson

.tar in pda.

lmao, i dont see" recycle bin" on odin? jk
14th July 2012, 03:14 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 60

626 posts
Awesome! i have been waiting for this. Does the rooted Rom comes with busy box installed?

Sent from my SGH-T999
14th July 2012, 03:17 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 1,245

1,953 posts
Donate to Me
More
How Do We Know If We Tripped Counter
I have a question, how do we know if we tripped the counter? I used ODIN to flash Clockword.tar and then I went into Clockwork to flash Superuser and flash a Stock T-Mobile ROM from Whitehawk. Once I booted i downloaded busybox and installed it to complete the rooting process. I never seen any warning triangles, the only thing I worried about was flashing the custom recovery in download moad, but its not a ROM so it should not have tripped the counter and any ROM flashed I have done, all have been in Clockwork MOD Recovery, never in download mode through ODIN

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flash counter, root, t999, uvalem, warranty
Previous Thread Next Thread