Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,100 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter [Tmobile / Wind / Mobilicity / Videotron]

Tip us?

rakeshchn
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevessvt View Post
OK, I used this, and everything appears to have gone fine. I have root now. Curious though, when it booted back up, nothing appears to have changed, except superuser is there now. I thought it would have reset the whole phone back to factory new.
So you are saying that my installed apps, google account info, settings, wallpaper, widgets and everything will remain the same! Even though this is the whole Rom?

Sent from my SGH-T999

mrRobinson
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 8013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshchn View Post
Awesome! i have been waiting for this. Does the rooted Rom comes with busy box installed?

Sent from my SGH-T999
No. First thing you can do after booting is get that from market. Unless you flash a rom that installs it.
I've only injected su and Superuser.apk so you have full root. From there, do as you please.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrRobinson
Old
Thanks Meter 8013
Quote:
So you are saying that my installed apps, google account info, settings, wallpaper, widgets and everything will remain the same! Even though this is the whole Rom?

Sent from my SGH-T999
yes cause it doesn't flash anything to /data.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrRobinson
Old
Thanks Meter 8013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdorr1105 View Post
I have a question, how do we know if we tripped the counter? I used ODIN to flash Clockword.tar and then I went into Clockwork to flash Superuser and flash a Stock T-Mobile ROM from Whitehawk. Once I booted i downloaded busybox and installed it to complete the rooting process. I never seen any warning triangles, the only thing I worried about was flashing the custom recovery in download moad, but its not a ROM so it should not have tripped the counter and any ROM flashed I have done, all have been in Clockwork MOD Recovery, never in download mode through ODIN
you tripped your counter. luckily they no longer have the ugly triangle but if you boot to download mode you see a custom counter there. Your counter is at least at 1.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rakeshchn
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRobinson View Post
yes cause it doesn't flash anything to /data.
This is perfect Mr Robinson. I cannot thank you enough!

Sent from my SGH-T999

stevessvt
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:

Sent from my SGH-T999
As far as I can tell, it looks to me as if absolutely nothing happened, except now SU is parked with the rest of my apps. I d/l wifi tether, it asked for permission, and it works perfectly.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

MrRobinson,....You.....complete.....me.......

bdorr1105
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1224

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRobinson View Post
you tripped your counter. luckily they no longer have the ugly triangle but if you boot to download mode you see a custom counter there. Your counter is at least at 1.
How do I see the flash Counter on my phone?

jdpdata
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdorr1105 View Post
How do I see the flash Counter on my phone?
Goto Download mode:volume down+home+power button. Release power button when phone start booting. Press volume up at Triangle warning screen to continue. You'll see your Binary flash counter here.

Mine is at 1 after flashing clockwork.tar via Odin. Oh well wait for someone smarter than me to figure out how to reset the counter.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

bdorr1105
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1224

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post
Goto Download mode:volume down+home+power button. Release power button when phone start booting. Press volume up at Triangle warning screen to continue. You'll see your Binary flash counter here.

Mine is at 1 after flashing clockwork.tar via Odin. Oh well wait for someone smarter than me to figure out how to reset the counter.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Yea, I def saw the one, and it's eating at me, although im glad their is no warning triangle and it doesn't effect the phones performance, so Im hoping for a reset app to get updated on the market to support the T999....I WANT IT GONE LOL

ViralCipher
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Dang, I wish I was patient enough to wait for this method. I rooted only a week ago lol. I hope there will be a method to reset counter just in case, but from what I read the news doesn't sound too good about it as it sounds too difficult for the developer and Samsung may develop ways to make it harder.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
My Devices & Mods

Samsung Galaxy SIII (T-Mobile):

[ROM] [CM10:Hybrid] PARANOIDANDROID 1.9.7

ASUS Transformer Prime TF201:

[ROM] Euroskank CM10 Nightlies

Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

[ROM] Phiremod 7.1

Samsung Vibrant: *SOLD*

Tags
flash counter, root, t999, uvalem, warranty