Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,383 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Asus USA, Netherlands suggest TF101 Jelly Bean undecided; Asus Germany disagrees

Tip us?

knoxploration
Old
(Last edited by knoxploration; 24th July 2012 at 10:03 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 563
Default Asus USA, Netherlands suggest TF101 Jelly Bean undecided; Asus Germany disagrees

Update: different branches of Asus are directly contradicting each other about whether we'll get an update. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=28840181 for the first example. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29269146 for yet another contradiction.

Title says it all, really. Asus Europe has confirmed at a press event that Jelly Bean will be released for the Prime, the TF300, and the TF700T, but TF101 and Slider users will be left out in the cold.

Rough translation:

"Sam from Tablets Magazine was present at the press conference, and ASUS confirmed that not all of its tablets can expect an update to the newest version of Android. The Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201, the Transformer Pad TF300 and the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 are certain to receive Android 4.1 Jellybean.

The previously launched models, the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and the Eee Pad Slider, are not expected to be updated, and will remain on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

http://www.tabletsmagazine.nl/2012/0...y-bean-update/
Head of an Android household: HTC One X+ International 64GB, HTC One X International 32GB, Google Nexus 10, two hopelessly unstable Asus Eee Pad Transformers (32GB and 16GB, each with keyboard docks; remember -- friends don't let friends buy Asus), Samsung Galaxy Ace, and a Fuhu Nabi 2.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knoxploration For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gruntparty
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Some if not most of the developers here at XDA who program for the tf101 do a better job than the officials over at ASUS. I have faith in our developers and will support them fully to release any form of Jelly Bean for our beloved tablet.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gruntparty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sir Flashalot
Old
(Last edited by Sir Flashalot; 14th July 2012 at 08:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 255
Read the same news but have not seen it confirmed on other sites. Anyone? The source article says "Earlier launched models, such as the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and the Eee Pad Slider, won't have to expect an update". They're not literally saying it will "NOT" come to the TF101. Just that it's not expected. So, it's still possible. And isn't Asus supposed to support their Android OS devices 18 months and should comply to Google regulations?

Furthermore, what grauntparty says: our respected XDA devs have done a far better job on ICS than Asus did. In fact, Asus is somehow obliged to grant us TF101 users a JB update. Especially the unlucky ones on stock rom. If you read this Asus, you know what to do... This upgrade cannot be that hard for you, even my old Defy is now running a CM10 JB nigthly already. If not, In Dev We Trust but your brand won't appear on my next shopping list.

OT/
A propos, Motorola, another fine example of customer loyalty. Defy got stuck on Froyo with a locked bootloader, which they promised to remove in 2011. Never heard anything ever since. And now thanks to xda devs it has JB. Oh, as much as I love my precious Defy I HATE Moto.
Motorola Defy | MB525 | BL6 | KitKat 4.4.4 | Quarx AOSP/CM11 02.08.2014 | Aero Control oc/uc 18/300 28/600 38/800 58/1000 | green lens
ASUS Transformer | TF101 | B70 | KitKat 4.4.4 | Timduru KatKiss #32b

Satertek
Old
Thanks Meter 4
If this is true, it'll be my last ASUS Android purchase. Halting support for new versions after only a year?!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Satertek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xratex
Old
Thanks Meter 6
in devs we trust, all glory to xda!!!!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda app-developers app
From my HOX
The Following User Says Thank You to xratex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LastStandingDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration View Post
Title says it all, really. Asus Europe has confirmed at a press event that Jelly Bean will be released for the Prime, the TF300, and the TF700T, but TF101 and Slider users will be left out in the cold.

Rough translation:

"Sam from Tablets Magazine was present at the press conference, and ASUS confirmed that not all of its tablets can expect an update to the newest version of Android. The Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201, the Transformer Pad TF300 and the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 are certain to receive Android 4.1 Jellybean.

The previously launched models, the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and the Eee Pad Slider, are not expected to be updated, and will remain on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

http://www.tabletsmagazine.nl/2012/0...y-bean-update/
this is the last thing i bought from asus ,

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satertek View Post
If this is true, it'll be my last ASUS Android purchase. Halting support for new versions after only a year?!
yeah, if its true, i hate it, Galaxy S II has one and a half year and GOOGLE says manufucator should at least support the device 18 months
S5 Stock ROM SM-G900D ^__•

Proud User Of

donnieace
Old
Thanks Meter 4
This tablet better get an official update. It shouldn't be hard for them to come up with one.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

theparanoid
Old
Thanks Meter 1
like wise i bought this tablet in december. and it know to old to be update a mere 7 months later. first it takes them months and months to get ics and it buggy.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
The Paranoid
Phone
  • Make: HTC
  • Model: Senstation 4G
  • Rom: Elegancia Rom Sense 4.1 v.3.2.0

Tablet
  • Make: Asus
  • Model: Nexus 7
  • Rom: Stock

cholywell
Old
Thanks Meter 57
This is a surprise to any of you? There are lots of very good AOSP roms out there so we will be fine.
Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M 16GB
Android 4.4.3 CM11

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8010 32GB
Android 4.4.2 CM11

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Android 4.4.2 CM11
The Following User Says Thank You to cholywell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knoxploration
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn1971 View Post
Read the same news but have not seen it confirmed on other sites. Anyone? The source article says "Earlier launched models, such as the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and the Eee Pad Slider, won't have to expect an update". They're not literally saying it will "NOT" come to the TF101. Just that it's not expected. So, it's still possible.
I know, you don't want to believe it, but that's clutching at straws. (Google-translated straws, at that.)

Asus has told them which products are and aren't getting updates. They've reported that. The only way we'll get an update from Asus now is if they change their mind, which is pretty darned unlikely.

I'm sure we'll get an excuse at some point that the TF101 and Slider "aren't capable" of running JB, which we all know is complete nonsense.

The real reason we're not getting the update? Because we're Tegra 2, which is no longer the current generation. Hence it costs money to make the update; they can't simply repurpose an update for another device. (Devices getting the update are all Tegra 3; devices not getting it are all Tegra 2.)

If you ask me, it's likely why the ICS update we got is so rubbish, as well. We got a half-assed bodged variant of Tegra 3 ICS, rather than a proper Tegra 2 build. So frankly, it's good news that we're not getting official JB, because we'd just have gotten another half-assed build if they'd shipped one, anyway.
Head of an Android household: HTC One X+ International 64GB, HTC One X International 32GB, Google Nexus 10, two hopelessly unstable Asus Eee Pad Transformers (32GB and 16GB, each with keyboard docks; remember -- friends don't let friends buy Asus), Samsung Galaxy Ace, and a Fuhu Nabi 2.

The Following User Says Thank You to knoxploration For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]