Screen burn in + washed out

25th August 2012, 08:50 PM   |  #101  
Thanks Meter: 2,105

1,495 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d14n7

Every device has defective screens it seems like. Honestly, it might just be cheaper for them to piss off the 2% of users who actually read stuff here than change the manufacturing process. It sucks. It really does. It forces us who are actually bothered by it to exchange til we get a good one. Which can take a few tries sometimes. It's a bummer but that's what our profit-driven society has come to.

Waa. Calm down I would say 30% of devices or defective! That means around 1 person out of 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
25th August 2012, 10:40 PM   |  #102  
Thanks Meter: 114

315 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesst20

Waa. Calm down I would say 30% of devices or defective! That means around 1 person out of 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Put the crack pipe down. 30% LOL
Quit smoking that stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7
26th August 2012, 01:37 AM   |  #103  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 109

986 posts
More
There is definitely a large amount of devices out there with issues. We are just the crowd of people who are able to identify these issues. Most people won't notice the things that drive us nuts.

I know there is always the guy that says oh well we here are just a small drop of owners with issues. Well last time I checked anytime polls are done in the news or by companies they select a few hundred people and poll them. Well here are the few hundred people.

There is no doubt an issue with this device quality control. I just hope that they are able to address it with a new batch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
4th September 2012, 02:55 AM   |  #104  
Thanks Meter: 197

2,707 posts
More
Just noticed the ghosting on my screen'''bought from the play store.
5th September 2012, 08:55 PM   |  #105  
Thanks Meter: 4

24 posts
My nexus C7 was absolutely fine since purchasing it from Tesco in store last Friday. No screen lift, flickering, burn-out... anything.

Today, after turning it on from sleep/screen-lock it was completely washed out as illustrated in the images above.

After using it for around 30 minutes to an hour the problem seemed to go away completely. The problem does seem to be dependant on the amount of time it is put to sleep. If i leave it for a minute or two then I get noticeable image retention. If I leave it for a few seconds I get no problem at all. If I leave it for 20 minutes or more I get full-on wash out and image retention. It's like the sun threw up on it.

My question is: Since it was absolutely fine for around 5 days or so, is this a hardware or a software issue? I haven't done anything unusual with the tablet over the last 24 hours. It hasn't been moved around any more than usual or dropped or whatnot.

Also: Should I RMA it? I can ring up Tesco tomorrow and probably arrange a replacement - but i'm worried the replacement will have screen lift! I'm also worried this problem will return again in another 5 or 10 days on an all new device. It really is strange.

John
6th September 2012, 11:54 AM   |  #106  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoc

My nexus C7 was absolutely fine since purchasing it from Tesco in store last Friday. No screen lift, flickering, burn-out... anything.

Today, after turning it on from sleep/screen-lock it was completely washed out as illustrated in the images above.

After using it for around 30 minutes to an hour the problem seemed to go away completely. The problem does seem to be dependant on the amount of time it is put to sleep. If i leave it for a minute or two then I get noticeable image retention. If I leave it for a few seconds I get no problem at all. If I leave it for 20 minutes or more I get full-on wash out and image retention. It's like the sun threw up on it.

My question is: Since it was absolutely fine for around 5 days or so, is this a hardware or a software issue? I haven't done anything unusual with the tablet over the last 24 hours. It hasn't been moved around any more than usual or dropped or whatnot.

Also: Should I RMA it? I can ring up Tesco tomorrow and probably arrange a replacement - but i'm worried the replacement will have screen lift! I'm also worried this problem will return again in another 5 or 10 days on an all new device. It really is strange.

John

Exactly the same thing for me. I got mine sometime mid-July, had been okay until about 1 week ago then it started to have these washed out and ghosting display issues. Simliarly it seems to depend on how long it put into sleep, for a short while then wake up its not too bad, but say for an hour or overnight, the screen is completely washed out.

I am hoping its s/w issue so it would be easier for me to fix as I am not staying US, it would be hard to send back for a replacement.
6th September 2012, 01:55 PM   |  #107  
Thanks Meter: 5

241 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoc

John

I have the identical problem with image retention and screen wash out. When I switch on my tablet in the morning it's completely washed out and takes around 5-10 mins of playing something or around 30 mins of just lying idle and on to get normal. However after that it's perfectly fine. When I put off the screen (when it's fine) and put it on again after 5 mins or so, it's washed out on the edges and then gets fine in around 3-5 mins. I really don't know what to do about it. I could get a replacement but that would take 25-30 days to process and ship from the US.

So will something like an Update/using a different Rom or Kernel fix this?
6th September 2012, 04:02 PM   |  #108  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I also have the same problem. It was fine for the first few days, but then it developed this problem. The longer I leave it switched off for, the longer the problem persists for.

If I connect it to the charger and tick the dont sleep while on external power and then leave it, it will always be perfect when I come back 10 minutes later.

With all the other problems I have seen people posting about, I think I will wait to return it until after there has been an update and/or the older units have been purged.
6th September 2012, 05:15 PM   |  #109  
Thanks Meter: 81

323 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaken

My new one seems to have a flicker problem now. Most noticeably when there is a white background. Anyone else have a problem like this? Almost seems like it's stuck between switching brightness levels, but doesn't know which way to go.

Is the flickering you're noticing in the Google Now, google search (from the launcher), netflix or youtube (with no auto brightness)? I never noticed any screen flickering except when on one of those apps at minimum brightness. Netflix was the worst, I just bumped up the brightness a few percent and it went away. I haven't noticed anything while reading any ebooks or browsing the internet.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in here but all the Tegra 3 devices have "Nvidia Prism" which constantly adjusts the screen's backlight while adjusting the contrast to save battery while watching video. For some reason on the Nexus while at minimum brightness it doesn't work well and makes the screen look like it's flickering. Prism is also the reason why the screen looks really washed out after watching a video, and turning the screen off and on again fixes it (or waiting a while). It's a known issue and hopefully Google fixes it with a software update.
6th September 2012, 07:37 PM   |  #110  
Thanks Meter: 16

116 posts
There is something wrong with mine in that it seems the display just isn't clear, it's like it has some sort of translucent haze. When I first got it and fired it up it seemed impressive but now I find it is just a lot of eyestrain.

I have a second one coming and if it is any way less than perfect it will be going back and then I am done with this device. Doubly so after today's announcement of the Kindle HD.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hemidroids is a troll
Previous Thread Next Thread