TWRP FILE FOR USE IN THIS THREAD twrp-3.0.0-0-skyrocket.tar.md5
PHILZ IS NO LONGER UPDATING CWM AS OF JULY 2014 HENCE ONLY TWRP IS USED AND SUPPORTED
GUIDE IS FOR THE SAMSUNG GALAXY SKYROCKET SG2 LTE: MODEL# "SGH-I727" FOR ATT & "SGH-I727R" FOR ROGERS.
THE FIRST AND FOREMOST THING YOU NEED TO DO TO YOUR SKYROCKET IS TO REPLACE THE STOCK RECOVERY CALLED "3E" WITH A CUSTOM RECOVERY TWRP WITH ODIN, ITS EASY AND TAKES LESS THAN ONE MINUTE.
WHAT YOU WILL FIND HERE: YOU ARE ON THE FIRST PAGE OF A TWO PAGE POST
- INTRO - READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
- FIRST PAGE - INSTALLING CUSTOM RECOVERIES
- 1. INSTALL TWRP ONTO ANY AND ALL STOCK FIRMWARE OR CUSTOM ROMS
1. HOW TO GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE aka ODIN MODE
- 2. HOW TO ENTER INTO RECOVERY MODE
- 3. TROUBLESHOOTING ODIN
- 4. WHY DO YOU NEED A "CUSTOM" RECOVERY
- 5. DOWNLOADS AND LINKS
- 1. INSTALL TWRP ONTO ANY AND ALL STOCK FIRMWARE OR CUSTOM ROMS
- SECOND PAGE - ROOT
- 1. HOW TO ROOT: WORKS ON GB, ICS & JB
- 2. HOW TO TEMPORARLY UNROOT
- 3. HOW TO PERMANENTLY UNROOT
- 4. HOW TO REPAIR ROOT
- 5. EXPLANATION OF WHAT THE SU FILES DO
- 6. INFO ON ROOT
- 7. DOWNLOADS AND LINKS
INTRO: READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOURE IN A HURRY, LAZY, ILLITERATE, DENSE, THE DEVIL, THEN COME BACK WHEN YOURE NOT.
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU PROCEED especially if your are a n00b, newb, newbie:
- Newbie, newb, n00b or noob is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity.
READ DEVS INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS AS TO THEIR ROMS RECOMMENDED RECOVERY, USUALLY LATEST
DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER FOR ANY CWM ACTIVITIES.
TWRP=TEAM WIN RECOVERY PROJECT
CWM=CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY - DEPRECIATED, NO LONGER USED
THIS IS NOT THE SAME PHONE AS THE FIRST GENERATION SG2 I9100, FLASHING ANYTHING HERE FOR THE I9100 WILL HARD BRICK THE I9100.
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, ALL ANSWERS ARE IN THIS THREAD, PM'S WILL BE IGNORED, SORRY.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS POST IT HERE OR IN THE Q&A FORUM - BUT YOU BETTER READ THE 2 POSTS HERE BEFORE ASKING!!
Samsung Made The Skyrocket Very Easy To Flash Custom Roms And/or Root The Phone.
There Is No Bootloader To Unlock.
The Skyrocket Has Four Main Partitions > Recovery - Radio - Kernel - System.
All Custom Roms Only Have The Kernel And The System , Which I/We Refer To As "The Rom".
No Custom Roms Include The Recovery And/or Radio Other Than Full Stock Firmwares.
The Recovery Is A Seperate Standalone File/partition And As Such It Is Not Tied/linked/combined To The Rom And/or Kernel.
Odin Is A Windows Program For Installing Stock Firmwares And Recoveries Onto Samsung Phones But We Can Use It To Install A "Custom" Recovery.
The First And Foremost Thing You Need To Do To Your Skyrocket Is To Replace The Stock Recovery Called "3e" With A Custom Recovery Called "TWRP" To Be Installed With The Program Called "Odin", Its Easy And Takes Less Than One Minute.
After Installing The TWRP Custom Recovery With Odin Your Phone Will Bootup To Exactly What You Had Before - It Does Not Touch The Android Operating System On Either Stock Firmwares Or Custom Roms, All Your Stuff Will Be Untouched, Unless You Boot Into Recovery You Would Never Know That You Had Installed It.
Once A Custom Recovery Is Installed You Can Then Install Other Custom Recoveries, Root The Phone, Flash Custom Roms, Kernels, Radios/modems, Bootanimations, Apps Or Any Other Flashable Zip File That You Find Here In The Skyrocket Xda Forum
Using Odin is Not Required Or Needed Anymore Unless You Reinstalled Stock Recovery Via Flashing Full Stock Firmware Or The Standalone Stock Recovery.
Links To The Recovery Zip Files Are In The 1stop Sticky
To Install Custom Roms On Stock Phones w/twrp installed You do Not Need To Root The Phone, Just Follow The Devs Instructions In Their Op On Installing The Custom Rom.
Root Is Only Required if You Are On Stock Samsung Att/Rogers Firmwares And Need To Remove Bloatware And/or Modify System Files, Root Is Not Needed To Install Any Roms Or Recoveries
I Reiterate: You Need To Install A Custom Recovery before You Can Flash Custom Roms Or Root The Phone, You Do not Need To Root The Phone To Install Custom Roms Or Custom Recoveries.
Stock Phones = Use Odin To Flash TWRP Custom Recovery
Staying On Stock w/Custom Recovery = Flash Root Files From 2nd Post.
Flashing Any Custom Roms = Dont Waste Your Time Rooting.
Almost Everything For And About The Skyrocket Is In The 1STOP STICKY
Read This b4 posting THE MOST Common Questions Answered HERE
PEREQUISTE: PHONES USB PORT WORKING AND RECOGNIZED BY PC. DRIVERS FOR USB INSTALLED CORRECTLY. IF NOT INSTALLED USE EITHER USB DRIVERS FILES OR INSTALL KIES WHICH INSTALLS USB DRIVERS
MAKE SURE KIES, ADB OR ANYTHING THAT HAS USB ACCESS LIKE VM'S ARE NOT RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND - CHECK WITH WINDOWS TASK MANAGER.
IF PHONES USB PORT IS DEAD THERES NO WAY TO INSTALL A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND AS SUCH YOUR STUCK ON STOCK FIRMWARE W/NO WAY TO ROOT THE STOCK FIRMWARE. DONT BELIEVE ANYONE THATS SAYS OTHERWISE.
NOTE: THIS METHOD IS ONLY FOR WINDOWS, ODIN IS A WINDOWS PROGRAM FOR INSTALLING STOCK FIRMWARES AND RECOVERIES ONTO SAMSUNG PHONES.
FOR MAC'S YOU NEED TO USE HEIMDALL OR USE BOOT CAMP, I DONT HAVE A MAC SO I CANT HELP YOU THERE.
NOTE: MICROSOFTS INTERNET BROWSER SOMETIMES HAS ISSUES DL'ING "TAR.MD5" FILES, IF HAVING A MD5 ERROR USE FIREFOX or CHROME BROWSERS TO DOWNLOAD THE TAR.MD5 FILES.
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your devices, these methods have been proven to work but sh*t happens!
1. HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY :
FOR ANY AND ALL STOCK FIRMWARES OR CUSTOM ROMS
NEWBS: READ THE WHOLE POST X2 B4 YOU PROCEED.
- 1. GETTING PHONE INTO DOWLOAD MODE(aka odin mode):
AT NO TIME IS THE POWER BUTTON TOUCHED FOR THIS PROCEDURE.
Download mode is NOT the same as recovery mode
- a. Remove and Reinsert the battery, have usb cable inserted to computer usb port but NOT to your phone until step (c).
- b. ATT PHONES - Press and keep down both Volume Up and Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
ROGERS PHONES - Press and keep down only the Volume Down button.
DO NOT RELEASE THE VOLUME BUTTON(S) UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO IN STEP (d)
- c. While still holding the volume button(s) down insert the USB cable into your device.
The phone will turn itself on when usb cable is inserted.
* KEEP VOLUME BUTTON(S) PRESSED - DO NOT TOUCH THE POWER BUTTON *
- d. When You see the screen warning you about installing a custom OS w/a yellow triangle RELEASE the volume button(s)
1ST PIC: Now press and release the volume "up" button, you should now be at the Download Mode screen w/odin recognizing your phone.
2ND PIC: this is also download/odin mode - the screen will display this when odin or kies has failed/not completed a previous flash, just continue following the procedure and/or read "section #3 troubleshooting odin" below.
1ST PIC >> ....
2ND PIC >>
- 2. DOWNLOAD twrp-3.0.0-0-skyrocket.tar.md5 - DO NOT CHANGE THE FILE NAME.
- 3. DOWNLOAD Odin-1.85.zip , Extract the contents of odin-185.zip to a folder, within that folder start "Odin3 v1.85.exe" .
- 4. Prepare Odin: Check "auto-reboot" and UNCHECK ALL OTHER OPTIONS.
Only Click "PDA" and navigate/select the TWRP tar.md5 file you downloaded from step #2.
DO NOT! CHECK "REPARTITION" IN ODIN! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! SEE COMPUTER SREEN PICS BELOW.
ON YOUR COMPUTER THIS IS WHAT YOUR SCREEN MUST LOOK LIKE WHEN YOUR PHONE IS IN DOWNLOAD MODE AND ODIN IS RECOGNIZING YOUR PHONE BEFORE YOU HIT THE START BUTTON.
- 5. Click Start in Odin. It will flash the new recovery and will reboot the phone when completed.
ON YOUR COMPUTER THIS IS WHAT YOUR SCREEN MUST LOOK LIKE WHEN ODIN HAS FINISHED FLASHING YOUR PHONE
- IF YOU HAD ERRORS OR PROBLEMS USING ODIN, GO TO SECTION 3 - TROUBLESHOOTING ODIN
If All Went Well Then You are done using ODIN.
- 6. UPDATING TWRP
How To Enter Recovery Mode Is In Section #2 Below
Do Not Use Odin To Flash "Zip" Files.
Read The TWRP THREAD To See If New Updates Have Any Bugs
- PREFERRED METHOD: You can use a flashable zip file to be used by TWRP recovery, check in the 1STOP STICKY in the recovery section for latest files, copy the "zip" file to your sdcard and install it via the custom recovery and reboot back into recovery to see if it installed correctly.
- ALTERNATE METHOD #1: TWRP now has odin flashable tar files , check HERE for latest TAR FILE to be used by ODIN. - WARNING - these are not tar.md5 files so check the HASH before flashing
- ALTERNATE METHOD #2: using img files read this
- 7. You're done newbie and soon to be a power user, read and educate yourself as much as you can before flashing, happy flashing.
2. HOW TO ENTER INTO THE RECOVERY MODE
ENTERING IN TO RECOVERY MODE IS THE SAME METHOD FOR BOTH ATT AND ROGERS SKYROCKETS.
ENTERING IN TO RECOVERY MODE IS THE SAME METHOD FOR BOTH STOCK AND A CUSTOM RECOVERY.
RECOVERY AND DOWNLOAD(ODIN) MODES ARE NOT THE SAMETHING
- Now turn off your phone, unplugged(might work plugged in)
- Press and keep both volume keys down
- Then press the power button while still holding down the volume keys
- When you feel the phone vibrate or see a logo on the screen, release the power button but not the volume keys.
- When screen goes black release the volume keys.
- Wait a few seconds to boot in to recovery
- You are now in recovery mode
3. TROUBLESHOOTING ODIN
- If Odin Shows An md5 Error Redownload The File Again
- If Odin hangs at "Getting PIT for mapping" or giving a pit error - Read This Thread and post number 15 for solution
- If the phone boots into any rom, make sure windows can transfer from and to internal and external sdcards to rule out driver issues
- Does kies recognize your phone, even if you are on a custom rom kies will recognize your phone, this rules out driver issues
- Make Sure You Are In Download Mode On Your Phone
If having trouble getting into dl mode try this>> take out the battery and leave it out. Plug the phone into the micro usb cable. Plug the USB end into your comp. Hold volume rockers down(either both or vol "-") and reinsert the battery
- Make Sure Kies, Adb Or Anything That Has Usb Access Like Vm's Are Not Running In The Background or Running As A Service - Check With Windows Task Manager.
- Restart computer
- Make sure battery is charged
- Try different usb port, preferably the rear ones on computer
- Use original samsung usb cable, or try different cable but still oem
- Uninstall drivers and kies, unplug phone & reboot comp, then just reinstall the USB Drivers from here
- Try a different computer
- Clean phones usb port w/no battery installed
- If Phone Boot Loops Or Enters Into Recovery Mode While Trying To Get Into Download Mode(and you are sure you followed above procedure and also did not touch the power button), You Could Have A Stuck Power Button. To Fix That Try To Repeatedly Keep Pushing The Power Button Hard To Try To Unstick It. To Read More About The "Sticky" Power Button Problem Goto the 1STOP info section.
- If you tried ALL of above tests and phone is not recognized by your computer you then have a hardware problem with the phones usb port. Read this for possible fix - FIX FOR PHONES USB PORT
4. WHAT IS AND WHY DO YOU NEED A CUSTOM RECOVERY
YOUR PHONE COMES STOCK WITH A PROGRAM WE CALL RECOVERY 3e.
TWRP ARE CUSTOM RECOVERIES THAT REPLACES THE STOCK RECOVERY 3e.
ON STOCK FIRMWARE YOU NEED TO USE ODIN TO INSTALL THE TAR FILE(NOT THE ZIP FILE) OF A CUSTOM RECOVERY TWRP, ITS THE FIRST AND FOREMOST THING TO DO TO YOUR SKYROCKET TO BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING ELSE TO YOUR PHONE.
ONCE A CUSTOM RECOVERY HAS BEEN INSTALLED YOU CAN THEN BE ABLE TO INSTALL OTHER CUSTOM RECOVERIES, CUSTOM ROMS, ROOT THE PHONE AND INSTALL FLASHABLE "ZIP" FILES.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE ROOTED TO FLASH A CUSTOM RECOVERY
YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE ROOTED TO FLASH CUSTOM ROMS
FLASHING TWRP BY WHATEVER METHOD USED IS NOT ROOTING
INSTALLING A COMPLETE FULL STOCK FIRMWARE WILL REVERT THE CUSTOM RECOVERY BACK TO STOCK RECOVERY.
THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO ROOT THE SKYROCKET WITH OUT TWRP
CUSTOM ROMS ARE ALREADY ROOTED: FOLLOW DEVS INSTR.
IF YOU DID HAVE ROOT AND FLASHED STOCK FIRMWARE BY WHATEVER METHOD YOU WILL LOSE ROOT.
YOUR PHONE WILL NOT LOSE APPS OR SETTINGS EITHER BY ROOTING OR FLASHING TWRP UNLESS "YOU" PERFORMED A WIPE/RESET
THE PROCRDURES OUTLINE IN THESE TWO PAGES DOES NOT TRIP THE FLASH COUNTER
DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER TO INSTALL AND/OR UPDATE CWM
5. DOWLOADS AND LINKS
MOVED TO THE 1STOP STICKY
I would like to thank everyone who help in making this post: