Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,461 Members 47,536 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CWM Recovery Test for MediaPad

Tip us?

hwmod
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Default CWM Recovery Test for MediaPad

CWM 5.8.0.9 for Huawei MediaPad

WARNING !!! DON'T FORMAT AND DON'T WIPE PARTITIONS USING THESE CWM !

I don't know how much this CWM version improves over the existing one by segler11.
However these build were more aimed at compiling and testing the new kernel sources.

I have tested compiling with both arm-eabi-4.4.0 and arm-eabi-4.4.3 with success on Ubuntu 10.04.

This is experimental, however with the new kernel sources it will just be a matter of time.

I have compiled the kernel included in this CWM recovery image but I didn't recompile the complete image.
I took as base Pyramid CWM 5.8.0.9 and I replaced the files from those found on a stock C232B005 kernel.
As the default build configuration I have used the /proc/config.gz of a C232B005 running kernel.

I have tested this CWM to be able to backup these partitions (I have not tested "restore" yet, just checked the tar archives):
  • boot.img - 12.582.912 (match 12Mb)
  • recovery.img - 16.777.216 (match 16Mb)
  • data.ext4.tar
  • cache.ext4.tar
  • system.ext4.tar
  • custom.ext4.tar
as you can see my hand tweaks to "recovery" require the name of "cust" partition to be "custom" instead but I believe this is a no issue while you backup and restore with the same CWM. Suggestions welcome.

BUGS:
  • data & time on archives are wrong
  • mount USB storage does not work
  • adb not enabled in recovery mode
  • Formats and Wipes do not work don't use them
The "busybox hwclock" applet doesn't work to set the hardware clock of our device.

The "adb shell" is not active while in CWM recovery, I don't know why and this was my objective so if you have suggestion please help.

As usual flash both "recovery" and "recovery2" partitions using "fastboot" and one of the attached CWM recovery:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-5.8.0.9-HWMOD-eabi-4.4.3.img
fastboot flash recovery2 recovery-5.8.0.9-HWMOD-eabi-4.4.3.img
fastboot reboot
WARNING !!! DON'T FORMAT AND DON'T WIPE PARTITIONS USING THESE CWM !

.:HWMOD:.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hwmod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hwmod
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Reserved CWM HWMOD

john9
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 269
This version seemed to work better for me.Tnx dude!

hwmod
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by john9 View Post
This version seemed to work better for me.Tnx dude!
Thank you for trying it.

Remember to absolutely avoid formatting or wiping partitions.

If you need to format/wipe do it ONLY after reinstalling the original "recovery.img" in both "recovery" and "recovery2" partitions and then reset the device from:

"Settings -> Backup and reset -> Factory reset"

ATTENTION !!! You can safely do a wipe or factory reset only after reinstalling the original recovery image.

Sorry for insisting but I don't want to create problems on users devices and I know those operations will create problems.

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 480
Just a note: I used your 4.4.3 version to try making a nandroid backup last night. Good news and bad news.

This morning I inspected the result using the app Nandroid Browser.

Good: Your CWM does successfully backup /data/data. The other CWM that had been posted here did not do so properly.

Bad: Your CWM also backs up the entire internal SD storage contents inside the folder /data/share. It is customary *not* to include this in a nandroid backup because a) you don't want to inflate the file size unnecessarily, and b) you don't want to overwrite the internal SD on a restore.

Idea: After you fix it, and until you manage to get ADB over USB working, maybe you could add a menu option to make a separate backup archive of internal SD to external SD. This would allow a route to save the internal storage if the device becomes unbootable and requires a data wipe.

hwmod
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
Just a note: I used your 4.4.3 version to try making a nandroid backup last night. Good news and bad news.

This morning I inspected the result using the app Nandroid Browser.

Good: Your CWM does successfully backup /data/data. The other CWM that had been posted here did not do so properly.

Bad: Your CWM also backs up the entire internal SD storage contents inside the folder /data/share. It is customary *not* to include this in a nandroid backup because a) you don't want to inflate the file size unnecessarily, and b) you don't want to overwrite the internal SD on a restore.

Idea: After you fix it, and until you manage to get ADB over USB working, maybe you could add a menu option to make a separate backup archive of internal SD to external SD. This would allow a route to save the internal storage if the device becomes unbootable and requires a data wipe.
Thank you for trying it. I wanted to compile/test a kernel with new sources in a CWM.

Yes, in our device the internal memory "/mnt/sdcard" is also mapped under "/data/share".

Unfortunately I don't have the skills (yet) to build a complete recovery image from scratch,
so what I did was just compiling the kernel part of the recovery image, using the new sources.

Then I simply hex tweaked the "recovery" executable of a 5.8.0.9 Pyramid CWM (HTC Sensation).
So, in conclusion, I have no control over what is copied during the backup process of those partitions.
Though I could control which partition is processed by removing them from "fstab", but there is no gain into it.

We will have to wait somebody with the specific knowledge, or maybe I will have some time to learn once I return from holidays.

after_silence
Old
Thanks Meter 1028

DONATE TO ME
Today i have builded bootable CWM 5.5.0.4 from sources, so now we can adjust all what we need :)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to after_silence For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

monkeydrufy
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by after_silence View Post
Today i have builded bootable CWM 5.5.0.4 from sources, so now we can adjust all what we need :)
well done

david19
Old
Thanks Meter 0
HI, can anyone share buckup from working device created by CWM.?
Thanks to all.

.dredd.
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Hi,

Is it possible to flash update zips from this CWM recovery (like Beats Audio which is in flashable zip format)?
I don't want to use it for backup-recovery.

...and how about doing wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache?
iPhone 5c
Huawei Mediapad
HTC Jade