Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 40,559 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Discontinued] Unlock VZW GSIII for use on other networks (No data on GSM currently)

Tip us?

AtLemacks
Old
(Last edited by AtLemacks; 29th August 2012 at 05:08 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 194

DONATE TO ME
Default [Discontinued] Unlock VZW GSIII for use on other networks (No data on GSM currently)

Edit: sorry all, I have discontinued my efforts due to no time. I apologize, hopefully there is someone who can figure this out and implement an easy fix.

Ok, so I have been slacking on actually getting this in the pipeline, but I did
unlock my Verizon GSIII day 1 with the generic code from the pre-order agreement. Per the pics that will follow my post, you will see that I do not have the SIM popup bugging me, and in fact am running the Verizon GSIII on AT&T EDGE:2 & GPRS. I am currently unable to pull APN's from AT&T, and do not currently have data. Voice works flawlessly, however.

For those who DIDN'T read, and signed their name on the dotted line because they want to be left in the dark to their own problems, here are the 2 generic unlock codes:
or

This should be entered in the popup you will receive from using an invalid SIM.

More to come.

Here are instructions for flashing to another CDMA network, credit MikeyCriggz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCriggz
Please Note:
You must be on an AOSP ROM in order for this to work. If you're not on one and would like to keep the stock ROM, make a NANDROID backup and flash one (CM10, AOKP, etc.). I take no credit for this, I am only providing the information (all credits go to adam3rd for his post in the Motorola Bionic forums)

Before Starting:
Make sure your SIM card is NOT in your phone
Activate phone through Page Plus using the first 15 digits of the IMEI (drop the very last digit)
Download this Page Plus PRL file: http://www.4shared.com/file/qryS5x4T/51720_EVDO.html
Download CDMA Workshop 3.8 Demo: www.cdma-ware.com

I used CDMA Workshop 3.8 demo version to do this and can verify it works.

Let's Do This:

1) Put phone in diagnostic mode (here's how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcEop4Dhdk)

2) Download and install all necessary drivers here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...SCH-I535MBBVZW

3) Connect phone to computer via USB

4) Open CDMA Workshop & click on the "Ports" drop down menu. Select the one that says "diag", it should be at the bottom. If not, then open Windows Device Manager and find your device. Note what COM port it's connected to and select that in CMDA Workshop (for example: COM12).

5) Click "Connect" to connect phone

6) In the main tab, click "SPC" send "000000" to unlock your phone.

7) Go to the PRL tab to load the Page Plus PRL to your phone. Select "Write" and find the PRL you downloaded earlier. It should now write to your device.

8) Turn off phone and pull the battery.

9) Insert your SIM card and replace the battery. Power up and after boot your phone should go into OTA Programming (if not, then dial *22890)

10) Open the dialer and dial *#*#4636*#*# (it will prompt you for a passcode, type "000000"). Go to "Phone Information" and find the drop down menu that says "CDMA Auto PRL" and change it to "CDMA Only"

11) Back out of this and go back into the dialer. Dial ##program and go to "Test Mode". Press next until you see a screen that says something like "EVRC HDR Hybrid Mode". Change the Network Type to CDMA and back out to the main screen. Your phone will now restart.

12) Check Settings>Phone>Status and make sure the Mobile Network Type says CDMA 1XTT. You should now have 1X data, voice, and text.

13) Dial *#*#4636*#*# again (entering in the "000000" passcode when prompted) and go back to "Phone Information". Change the "CDMA Only" back to "CDMA Auto PRL". Back out until you are at the home screen

14) Power down, remove battery and SIM card, replace battery and power back up.

15) Dial ##program again and go back into "Test Mode". Hit "Next" until you're back at the screen that says "EVRC HDR Hybrid Mode" again. Change Network Type to EVDO and press back until your phone restarts.

16) Check Settings/Phone/Status and make sure the Mobile Network Type says "CDMA EvDo rev A". If it says eHRPD, then you need to redo steps 10 through 15 again.

17) Dial *#*#4636#*#* go and go back to "Phone Information". Change "CDMA Auto PRL" to "Unknown" and back out.

18) Check Settings/Phone/Status and make sure the Mobile Network Type says "CDMA EvDo rev A". If it says eHRPD, then you need to redo steps 10 through 15 again.

14) Power down your phone, replace the SIM card and power back up. You should now have 3G data, talk, and text.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-07-15-21-56-59.jpg
Views:	4189
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1201960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0001.jpg
Views:	3879
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1201961  
Current:
T-Mobile-
L1: Nexus 5 CM11 & HTC One M8 GPe
L2: LG G2
L3: Sony Xperia Z1s

Verizon-
Samsung Galaxy SIII

U.S. Army Medic Veteran RLTW! I have a bad attitude, with good intentions.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AtLemacks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

idelgado782
Old
Thanks Meter 126

DONATE TO ME
This would be nice to have. I usually travel outside the country once a year, so knowing my phone is unlocked would be great.

Sent from sexy a** Galaxy S III
Addicted to flashing! It all started on my Nexus S........., Then Galaxy Nexus, upgraded to the Galaxy S3, Couldn't resist to take notes on a Note 2 & Note 10.1, Upgraded to the GS4, and now i'm rocking my LG G3 paired with the LTE LG G PAD 7.0

AtLemacks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 194

DONATE TO ME
Well, as of now voice works.
Current:
T-Mobile-

Verizon-
Samsung Galaxy SIII

satadru
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLemacks View Post
but I did unlock my Verizon GSIII day 1 with the generic code from the pre-order agreement.

Wait a second, what code is this? And where am I supposed to find it?

DROID3R
Old
Thanks Meter 225
Yea someone else posted in another forum that he requested a code from verizon and everyone was saying what code how where what? The guy replied 'i guess im the only one who read the preorder agreement'

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

JDMpire
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I am watching this thread, for sure!

Yes, I also would like to find this agreement as well (I got my GS3 thorough a 3rd party reseller). I am on T Mobile BTW and Im 110% aware of the pitfalls regarding data any faster then Edge, believe me Ive been there before.

Im willing to be the Guinea pig here, what do we need to do?
Current [T Mobile USA] phone lineup:

-- HTC One <silver, clear plexi case, stock rom 4.1.2, bootloader unlocked & rooted> (me)

-- iPhone 5 <white, 100% stock, hello kitty case> (wife)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other:

iPad 2 (wifey), Kindle touch, Nook HD+ (Carbon Rom, Android 4.2.2), Samsung Ativ 500t (Windows 8 tablet, 11.6" of Awesome)

griffis
Old
Thanks Meter 35

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Ok, so I have been slacking on actually getting this in the pipeline, but I did unlock my Verizon GSIII day 1 with the generic code from the pre-order agreement. Per the pics that will follow my post, you will see that I do not have the SIM popup bugging me, and in fact am running the Verizon GSIII on AT&T EDGE:2 & GPRS. I am currently unable to pull APN's from AT&T, and do not currently have data. Voice works flawlessly, however.

More to come.

It would be good to have a global SIII.
About APNs,I do not know anything so forgive my ignorance.... but on another phone I used a battery saving app whuch screwed up my data, and I finally got my data back by using Anycut, APN, then restore default APNs.. then rebooted and my data was restored.

Sent from my Samsung SIII Galaxy via Tapatalk

satadru
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Well, as of now voice works.
Would you please post the text of the pre-order agreement you are talking about?

AtLemacks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 194

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROID3R View Post
Yea someone else posted in another forum that he requested a code from verizon and everyone was saying what code how where what? The guy replied 'i guess im the only one who read the preorder agreement'

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
That would be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kola1228 View Post
Lol i guess he's the only one. Where do you even find this pre-order agreement??
It is the agreement you "signed" if you pre-ordered online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMpire View Post
I am watching this thread, for sure!

Yes, I also would like to find this agreement as well (I got my GS3 thorough a 3rd party reseller). I am on T Mobile BTW and Im 110% aware of the pitfalls regarding data any faster then Edge, believe me Ive been there before.

Im willing to be the Guinea pig here, what do we need to do?
If you are using the T-Mobile version you aren't of any help to me right now. I am working on getting only the Verizon version working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffis View Post
It would be good to have a global SIII.
About APNs,I do not know anything so forgive my ignorance.... but on another phone I used a battery saving app whuch screwed up my data, and I finally got my data back by using Anycut, APN, then restore default APNs.. then rebooted and my data was restored.

Sent from my Samsung SIII Galaxy via Tapatalk
I have already tried all of the common routes. The settings menu crashes/force closes anytime I try to restore defaults or anything like that. The *#*#4636#*#* menu is the only one that I can actually make changes in that stick. Anything in the network settings crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satadru View Post
Would you please post the text of the pre-order agreement you are talking about?
Did you pre-order online? If so, should have read it, if not, that's why you don't have one!
Current:
T-Mobile-

Verizon-
Samsung Galaxy SIII

JMooney5115
Old
(Last edited by JMooney5115; 16th July 2012 at 03:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
See the codes in the OP.

Thanks