Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 43,712 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Returning to Stock and/or Unbricking your device Updated for Android 4.3!!!

Tip us?

chris.wueste
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjm00 View Post
Assuming you have a nandroid, can you boot into the bootloader, and simply ADB reboot recovery? Or does that bug prevent you from even doing that?
Assuming you have already flashed CWM, then the command would actually be fastboot reboot recovery. Not sure what but you speak of.
Current Devices
Phone: HTC One GE
Tablet: Nexus 7

Previous Devices:
Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Sensation 4G (Watery Death), LG G2X (Sold {Piece of S**t}), Nexus S (Gave to Mother), Nexus One (Sold), MyTouch (Sold), T-Mobile G1 (Kept for nostalgia)

chris.wueste
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shano56 View Post
There's a CWM official out?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Yes. There sure is. If you have Rom Manager installed it can be flashed directly from there.
Current Devices
Phone: HTC One GE
Tablet: Nexus 7

Previous Devices:
Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Sensation 4G (Watery Death), LG G2X (Sold {Piece of S**t}), Nexus S (Gave to Mother), Nexus One (Sold), MyTouch (Sold), T-Mobile G1 (Kept for nostalgia)

nicknowsky
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I dont think you can really hard brick this device anyways
AT&T 8125...AT&T 8525...LG Incite...AT&T Tilt....myTouch 3G&G1....Nexus One

iPad 16Gb....Camangi Webstation....iPad 2....Asus Transformer....HTC HD2 (2nd)....Nexus S....New iPad....Galaxy Nexus GSM....Nexus 7....Nexus 4....iPad Air(its amazing) (2nd)

Dundledorf Calrissian

kimbernator
Old
(Last edited by kimbernator; 20th July 2012 at 06:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 24
I'm sitting here at the command prompt with it on "erasing userdata"

It's been a couple minutes and I'm freakin' out! How long is it supposed to take? Everything flashed correctly, if I start the device now will there be an issue?

EDIT: Nevermind, just rebooted from the bootloader in the tablet and it booted fine. I'll get the OTA to 4.1.1 and that should probably fix any outstanding little issues.

nugalonious
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default hard brick?

I am stuck at the Google logo with a padlock and I'm pretty sure I have a hard bricked tablet. fastboot doesn't see the tablet or my computer for that mater through dmesg.

I've rebooted it countless times with vol + and vol - pushed and any combo thereof. It will only turn off completely when the battery dies because holding down the power key for 10 secs just reboots it back to the Google logo in about 5 seconds. I guess at this point I'm just waiting for Google to give me a RMA for a refund and I'll move on unless someone has any other ideas?

Nexus Phreak
Old
(Last edited by Nexus Phreak; 20th July 2012 at 01:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.wueste View Post
If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.
Pressing and holding the Volume down + Power buttons works just fine to launch the bootloader (at least for me).

No need to press (and force) the entire volume rocker button at all.

caanda45
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugalonious View Post
I am stuck at the Google logo with a padlock and I'm pretty sure I have a hard bricked tablet. fastboot doesn't see the tablet or my computer for that mater through dmesg.

I've rebooted it countless times with vol + and vol - pushed and any combo thereof. It will only turn off completely when the battery dies because holding down the power key for 10 secs just reboots it back to the Google logo in about 5 seconds. I guess at this point I'm just waiting for Google to give me a RMA for a refund and I'll move on unless someone has any other ideas?
Try and press and hold just the power button for 30 seconds or so to re-boot the tablet and you should be fine and it should boot up just fine. From fastboot you cannot go into cwm recovery because of a bug.
Always pay it Forward!!!
If I helped you just hit the thanks button!!!

yeahthatsme
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I'm trying to return to stock but get this message in the window from the ADB command after flashing the stock ROM:
FAILED (remote: (FileWriteFailed))

Anyone seen that before or have any ideas to fix?

I tried wiping cache/factory reset from CMW but no joy.

Kas206
Old
(Last edited by Kas206; 20th July 2012 at 02:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 31
Thanks. Worked for me. I did get worried when i got (data transfer failure (too many links)) error when trying to flash the bootloader.

Turns out it was the USB port. I switched the ports and all was well.

But I followed the commands in side the flash-all.sh file

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatsme View Post
I'm trying to return to stock but get this message in the window from the ADB command after flashing the stock ROM:
FAILED (remote: (FileWriteFailed))

Anyone seen that before or have any ideas to fix?

I tried wiping cache/factory reset from CMW but no joy.
Try the commands i posted above and see what happens
Nokia N96 > HTC Touch HD > HTC Hero > HTC Desire > Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 4 > LG G2

Motorola Xoom > Nexus 7 >
The Following User Says Thank You to Kas206 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yeahthatsme
Old
(Last edited by yeahthatsme; 20th July 2012 at 03:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Nuts. I tried it on many USB ports and did your commands one by one. Ended up in the same spot. It happens when writing 'userdata'...

Tags
nexus 7, return, stock