Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,623 Members 50,549 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Returning to Stock and/or Unbricking your device Updated for Android 4.3!!!

Tip us?

nugalonious
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Now I've tried it all. Definitely bricked.

Took back cover off for easier troubleshooting and now have rebooted it hundreds of times with all four of the buttons pressed in different combinations. No idea what the forth button (Key 4 its labeled) even does because there's no button on the outside to access it but I've tried it anyway

Shano56
Old
Thanks Meter 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugalonious View Post

Took back cover off for easier troubleshooting and now have rebooted it hundreds of times with all four of the buttons pressed in different combinations. No idea what the forth button (Key 4 its labeled) even does because there's no button on the outside to access it but I've tried it anyway
How did you brick!!??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
LG Nexus 5

nugalonious
Old
(Last edited by nugalonious; 20th July 2012 at 07:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I'm not sure what happened but the last thing I did was flash a recovery then a fastboot reboot. After that only Google logo no matter what I do. Actually had to pull back cover off and pull the battery cause it wouldn't turn off any other way

Went back through my terminal session and the exact commands went like this.

./adb reboot bootloader
./fastboot flash recovery ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1-grouper.img
./fastboot reboot

thats it.

Shano56
Old
Thanks Meter 548
Quote:
I'm not sure what happened but the last thing I did was flash a recovery then a fastboot reboot. After that only Google logo no matter what I do. Actually had to pull back cover off and pull the battery cause it wouldn't turn off any other way

Went back through my terminal session and the exact commands went like this.

./adb reboot bootloader
./fastboot flash recovery ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1-grouper.img
./fastboot reboot

thats it.
If you still see an image...you shouldn't be bricked. U should try turning your tablet off for 20-30 mins, then holding all 3 buttons at once. Try it plugged in and not plugged in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
LG Nexus 5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shano56 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nugalonious
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the suggestion but it is still doing the same thing. I have to unplug to battery to turn it off otherwise it just continually boots to the Google with padlock within 5 seconds and stays there until the battery dies or i unplug it.

Wish Google would actually get back to me. Waited on hold for an hour yesterday just to have a trouble ticket opened.

Atmazzz
Old
Thanks Meter 209
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion but it is still doing the same thing.
Try the Nexus root kit. Use the option flash stock and unroot. Check the wont boot box. Don't know if it will work but worth a shot.

goku16
Old
Thanks Meter 14
im getting stuck after step 2?
it said waiting for device
anyone have a picture instruction?
thanks a lot

spences10
Old
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

It's not bricked if you see an image

You need to be able to get into the bootloader by using the hardware keys, I read this post thinking they would be in the OP

When the Nexus 7 was announced at I/O JBQ told everyone how to get into bootloader using the hardware keys rather than adb commands. adb commands are fine if the device boots but if you have a semi brick you need to know these keys [and the OP updated accordingly]
I have ORD

Nexus 5; Nexus 7

Circle Me or Follow Me

Android History: HTC Magic; DELL Streak; ZTE Blade; HTC Desire; Nexus S; HTC Desire Z; HTC Wildfire; LG Optimus 2x; HTC Hero, Acer Liquid Metal; HTC MyTouch 4G; Orange San Diego <SMH; Huawei Ascend G300; Samsung Galaxy Nexus; Nexus 4

jaxadv
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Great tutorial!
Thank you so much, have tried the MCR rom but I still think we need to wait to have more roms available...
JaxADV - Web design & Graphic Design Studio

Google Nexus 4 - AOSPA 3+
Google Nexus 7 - Stock

spences10
Old
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
I found that if you hold down Vol Up + Vol Down + Power takes you into the bootloader

Maybe update the main post with this OP?
I have ORD

Nexus 5; Nexus 7

Circle Me or Follow Me

Android History: HTC Magic; DELL Streak; ZTE Blade; HTC Desire; Nexus S; HTC Desire Z; HTC Wildfire; LG Optimus 2x; HTC Hero, Acer Liquid Metal; HTC MyTouch 4G; Orange San Diego <SMH; Huawei Ascend G300; Samsung Galaxy Nexus; Nexus 4

Tags
nexus 7, return, stock