Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 51,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] [ROOT] Reset Flash Counter [Confirmed VZW, Assumes others are the same]

Tip us?

enderblue
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Default [HOWTO] [ROOT] Reset Flash Counter [Confirmed VZW, Assumes others are the same]

So, you managed to trip the flash counter.

Here are the commands to reset the flash counter. This works on my VZW rooted phone. Since all of the other variants have a very similar (same?) partition setup, this "might" work for them as well ("might" is the key word).

I take no responsibility for you voiding warranty.

I used this post as the basis for my theory and then used my phone as the test for said theory: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=67

The "'\x00'" portion tells it what resets it to 0. If you wanted to be funny, you could set it to a different number.

adb shell
su
echo -n '\x01' | dd obs=1 count=1 seek=4193796 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0

I can only confirm that this works on the VZW variant. Until I get some dumps of the other variants, I can only assume it will work for them.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to enderblue For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

johnhazelwood
Old
Thanks Meter 42
This is great news! Is there a way to read the value to confirm it's been incremented? (I have an AT&T phone, and would like to confirm the value is 1 right now - which is my current flash count).

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderblue View Post
So, you managed to trip the flash counter.

Here are the commands to reset the flash counter. This works on my VZW rooted phone. Since all of the other variants have a very similar (same?) partition setup, this "might" work for them as well ("might" is the key word).

I take no responsibility for you voiding warranty.

I used this post as the basis for my theory and then used my phone as the test for said theory: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=67

The "'\x00'" portion tells it what resets it to 0. If you wanted to be funny, you could set it to a different number.

adb shell
su
echo -n '\x01' | dd obs=1 count=1 seek=4193796 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0

I can only confirm that this works on the VZW variant. Until I get some dumps of the other variants, I can only assume it will work for them.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Raul77
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhazelwood View Post
This is great news! Is there a way to read the value to confirm it's been incremented? (I have an AT&T phone, and would like to confirm the value is 1 right now - which is my current flash count).
go to download mode and look on top left of the screen , small text in white.

johnhazelwood
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul77 View Post
go to download mode and look on top left of the screen , small text in white.
Sorry, I might not have worded that correctly. I'd like to read that memory block that he's proposing we change and see if the value stored is the same as what's displayed on the Download screen (which I can see). Basically, as I understand it, his command will reset the counter. I just want to confirm that on an AT&T flavor of the phone, the results of that memory block are the same.

drothenberger
Old
Thanks Meter 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhazelwood View Post
Sorry, I might not have worded that correctly. I'd like to read that memory block that he's proposing we change and see if the value stored is the same as what's displayed on the Download screen (which I can see). Basically, as I understand it, his command will reset the counter. I just want to confirm that on an AT&T flavor of the phone, the results of that memory block are the same.
I think this will work:
Code:
dd bs=1 count=1 skip=4193796 if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 2>/dev/null | od -t
The Following User Says Thank You to drothenberger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pinoymutt
Old
Thanks Meter 395
Actually Chainfire just released v1.70 of Triangle Away today that resets the counter on the US/Canadian variants. Not sure if he used the same method as the OP here, but thanks for your research into this as well!

Phone: Nexus 5 (D820) on AT&T
ROM: Xposed Rooted KTU84P (4.4.4)
Kernel: ElementalX-N5-v1.0

Tablet: Galaxy Note 8 (N5110)
ROM: CivZ-FLEXNOTE-8.0_Rev1.7 (4.4.2)
Kernel: CivZ SphereKat

Backup Tablet: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3113)
ROM: AOKP KITKAT 2014-05-24 (4.4.2)
Kernel: AGNi pureCM v4.0

Let folks know if their posts provided useful information or assistance by clicking the "Thanks" button
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinoymutt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2655

DONATE TO ME
Not seeing that release got a link?
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac
Oh BTW I'm fat.

pinoymutt
Old
Thanks Meter 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyman View Post
Not seeing that release got a link?
In his main thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494114

Phone: Nexus 5 (D820) on AT&T
ROM: Xposed Rooted KTU84P (4.4.4)
Kernel: ElementalX-N5-v1.0

Tablet: Galaxy Note 8 (N5110)
ROM: CivZ-FLEXNOTE-8.0_Rev1.7 (4.4.2)
Kernel: CivZ SphereKat

Backup Tablet: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3113)
ROM: AOKP KITKAT 2014-05-24 (4.4.2)
Kernel: AGNi pureCM v4.0

Let folks know if their posts provided useful information or assistance by clicking the "Thanks" button
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinoymutt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

playboy71322
Old
Thanks Meter 15
can anyone confirm triangle away or this method works on ATT version of the s3?

johnhazelwood
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I'm about to try it on my AT&T, but he does callout our version as being supported in his latest release. Wohoo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to johnhazelwood For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
flash counter, galaxy s3, galaxy siii, verizon