AT&T Family Shared Data

Search This thread

lostchopstik

Apr 10, 2012
Sacramento
So I'm sure most of you are aware of this whole AT&T Data Sharing thats coming out near the end of august. I was just doing some math on the whole thing and had it confirmed by a representative on the phone...turns out, it makes no sense. Shocking.

For a family of 5 such as my situation, we have 4 smart phones and 1 non-smartphone.
As the charts shows (which I cant post since Im too new), it breaks down like this...

4GB
$70 base price
$40 / smartphone
$30 / normal phone
------------
$54 / smartphone
$44 / normal phone

6GB
$90 base price
$35 / smartphone
$30 / normal phone
-----------
$53 / smartphone
$48 / normal phone

10GB
$120 base price
$30 / smartphone
$30 / normal phone
-----------
$54 / smartphone
$54 / normal phone

Past that point it actually starts making sense and getting more expensive, but as you can see, why settle for less unless your the guy with a non-smartphone who gets screwed.

Sources:
The Verge & Engadget

gagdude

Jun 10, 2012
Northbrook
Thanks for sharing! Saw these earlier today, still ripoffs but at least ATT doesn't force you on them like VZW.
Prepaid is cheaper. :D

Sent from my MB508 using xda premium

I'm not trying to gloat here, but this just makes my decision to add the 'unlimited data' package to my service, of which is no longer available for purchase, a notably smart one. Thank goodness for "grandfathered" things, such as is mine. Albeit, knowing AT&T's business practices, they'll probably figure a way to forcibly get me to buy into a data package eventually. But, for now, the thirty dollars is well worth it. However, I have heard rumors of AT&T throttling down bandwidth once users such as myself reach a certain monthly data usage amount.

Sent from my MB865 using xda's premium carrier pigeon service

lostchopstik

Apr 10, 2012
Sacramento
For sure, I'm jealous of my friends who still rock unlimited data since I got in the smartphone game a little late.
I guess the good part of these shared plans is unlimited calling is included.

tacarat

Jan 17, 2012
But does the shoe fit?

Run the numbers. It's not really made to reduce anybody's bill, but to add flexibility. Everybody on the new plan gets tethering, unlimited domestic minutes and texts. I'm curious to see how employer discounts will be affected. I'm a veteran and get a 15% discount off some parts on my plan. If it works out for me, great. If not, I'll stick with my current setup.

texasman420

May 22, 2011
tyler tx
I'm not trying to gloat here, but this just makes my decision to add the 'unlimited data' package to my service, of which is no longer available for purchase, a notably smart one. Thank goodness for "grandfathered" things, such as is mine. Albeit, knowing AT&T's business practices, they'll probably figure a way to forcibly get me to buy into a data package eventually. But, for now, the thirty dollars is well worth it. However, I have heard rumors of AT&T throttling down bandwidth once users such as myself reach a certain monthly data usage amount.

Sent from my MB865 using xda's premium carrier pigeon service

My girl had the unlimited to until she bought a 4g phone. The unlimited is only for 3 g so they made her get the 3 gigabyte plan for a 4g phone they already have taken that out of the picture if you buy a 4 g phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

lostchopstik

Apr 10, 2012
Sacramento
My girl had the unlimited to until she bought a 4g phone. The unlimited is only for 3 g so they made her get the 3 gigabyte plan for a 4g phone they already have taken that out of the picture if you buy a 4 g phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

That can't be right. One of my buddies who has unlimited just upgraded to a One X and he was able to keep it.

Correction: He said that he missed that mandatory switch by two weeks-ish.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Skv012a

Jun 19, 2008
MD
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Just, sell the phones you get from them and get international ones. They see all of those as, non-smart, and unlim data is still there, for those. 10/mo too as far as I know.

newter55

Sep 14, 2010
Southern Michigan
Just, sell the phones you get from them and get international ones. They see all of those as, non-smart, and unlim data is still there, for those. 10/mo too as far as I know.

Qft......
uploadfromtaptalk1342808555539.jpg
Not even a week into this month. Rogers raider on $10 "non-smartphone" data plan

MissionImprobable

Dec 20, 2011
You don't get the HSPA+ speeds with the Media Net plans correct?

The new Family plans may offer flexibility but I'm pretty sure that the main point is the same as VZs, to make you pay more for data. You either jump up to a high dollar plan or you risk paying the pretty hefty new overage fees.

A2CKilla

Feb 22, 2011
Man, their highest price tier is still more then the unlimited everything plan on sprint...man, so glad I'm not with true blue or big red, I'll keep sprinting away with my cheap phone bill :D

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app

lostchopstik

Apr 10, 2012
Sacramento
You don't get the HSPA+ speeds with the Media Net plans correct?

The new Family plans may offer flexibility but I'm pretty sure that the main point is the same as VZs, to make you pay more for data. You either jump up to a high dollar plan or you risk paying the pretty hefty new overage fees.

It should depend on whatever the phone is capable of which is usually not as fast as smartphones.

But yeah thats true and it seems like theyre playing it off as some great deal to those who dont read the fine print or bother comparing.