Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,240 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cannot transfer files with MTP / Device not viewable in Windows Explorer

Tip us?

thisisnitwit
Old
(Last edited by thisisnitwit; 20th July 2012 at 05:02 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Cannot transfer files with MTP / Device not viewable in Windows Explorer

When I connect my Nexus 7 to my Windows XP (SP3) PC via USB, it's obvious the computer recognizes it and it tries to install ADB drivers. Whether I choose to install those drivers or not, I still can't locate my device in the Windows Explorer Tree. I checked Disk Management for the hell of it and nothing but my PC's harddrives were there. There's an attempt to install drivers for "MTP" but that fails and I'm pretty sure that's the cause; however, I'm unable to replicate it, even as I uninstall/reinstall applicable drivers from the device manager the MTP failure never happens anymore. I did some googling and found a thread with someone who had a similiar experience. In turn, I downloaded https://www.box.com/s/2c25e8bc42ecce400afd to try a different set of drivers. Same problem. Driver install is fine for ADB, but still unable to see my device in Windows Explorer. I'm able to successfully connect the device to the PC with PTP for the camera. I can access DCIM and cache which can serve as a work around, but I'm hoping you can provide any ideas you might have. Thank you!

edit - ***resolution***: Ok, I figured it out...I had to disable USB debugging. I don't know if this helped either, but I installed these drivers as an alternative to the drivers that were originally installed: https://www.box.com/s/2c25e8bc42ecce400afd

While connected to PC, I switched to PTP mode because I was about to give up and just use that

I then disabled usb debugging and switched back to MTP at which point the drivers successfully installed and I could now view my device in Windows Explorer. I also believe downloading the drivers in the link above helped since the first crack I took at this was unsuccessful with existing drivers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thisisnitwit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

movieaddict
Old
Thanks Meter 356

DONATE TO ME
install pdanet on pc and it will install drivers for u so it will be recognized
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffcorey View Post
You don't have to do anything in life except die. But unless you don't want any headaches, listen to the people giving you advice, they know what they're talking about.

IF ur a Noob watch this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

IF I HAVE HELPED U, I WOULD LOVE TO BE THANKED

My phone: Tmobil Samsung Galaxy S 4-rooted loving it!!

NEXus 7: rooted and loving it
The Following User Says Thank You to movieaddict For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thisisnitwit
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Ok, I figured it out...I had to disable USB debugging. I don't know if this helped either, but I installed these drivers as an alternative to the drivers that were originally installed: https://www.box.com/s/2c25e8bc42ecce400afd
The Following User Says Thank You to thisisnitwit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

saltyteabag
Old
(Last edited by saltyteabag; 25th July 2012 at 08:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Been battling with this on my XP machine since yesterday. I couldn't even get debugging to work until I installed NakedDriver. And even still, there seems to be no way to get MTP to work without turning debugging off. On my Win7 machine everything worked perfectly, both ADB and MTP, right out of the box. I have the Galaxy Nexus drivers installed on both machines (which I've read are compatible with the N7). I also have the latest version of Windows Media Player (I've read that some older versions have issues with MTP). Is anyone else able to run ADB and MTP on XP?

*edit*
A: Does PDAnet let you use MTP and ADB simultaneously? Because I really don't want to install it if I don't have to. I got rid of it ages ago (too many things starting up at boot time).

B: I have a Galaxy Nexus also, and I have no issues on the XP box.

Salty Wagyu
Old
Thanks Meter 86
I wouldn't bother with MTP, it's not always showing the contents of the internal storage properly when viewed in Windows Explorer.

Earlier today when I was trying to set up a backup profile for it, it didn't copy all the files off. On closer inspection I found folders like TitaniumBackup to be completely empty, which is not true according to ES File Explorer on the tablet.

I tried connecting MTP again, with USB Debugging on and off but this made no difference. Also I'm only seeing the Notifications folder instead of 36 folders on the internal storage now, really random how it's working.
| OnePlus One 64GB | ROM: 4.4.2 Stock CM11S (rooted) | Xposed |
| Recovery: TWRP | Kernel: Stock |

| Nexus 4 16GB | ROM: 4.4.4 Stock (rooted) | Xposed |
| Recovery: TWRP | Kernel: Franco | Binaries: Z2 |

| Nexus 7 16GB (Wi-Fi) | ROM: 4.4.4 Stock (rooted) | Xposed |
| Recovery: TWRP | Kernel: Franco |

Nordendorf
Old
Thanks Meter 16
asus site now has a usb driver for N7

try that

Salty Wagyu
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordendorf View Post
asus site now has a usb driver for N7

try that
Updated with ASUS drivers, still doesn't view internal storage fully.
| OnePlus One 64GB | ROM: 4.4.2 Stock CM11S (rooted) | Xposed |
| Recovery: TWRP | Kernel: Stock |

| Nexus 4 16GB | ROM: 4.4.4 Stock (rooted) | Xposed |
| Recovery: TWRP | Kernel: Franco | Binaries: Z2 |

| Nexus 7 16GB (Wi-Fi) | ROM: 4.4.4 Stock (rooted) | Xposed |
| Recovery: TWRP | Kernel: Franco |

saltyteabag
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Wagyu View Post
Updated with ASUS drivers, still doesn't view internal storage fully.
Same here. No change with the Asus drivers. Still can't use MTP when ADB is turned on.

GotLoveForAll
Old
Thanks Meter 6
poo. how do I transfer my audiobooks to this stupid device without working drivers?

Jonghanpe
Old
(Last edited by Jonghanpe; 3rd August 2012 at 07:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
1. Please disconnect Nexus7
2. Remove drivers on PC.
3. Toggle ON : Settings->Wireless&Networkings->More->NFC.
4. Re-connect device

Good luck !

The Following User Says Thank You to Jonghanpe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
ptp, windows