Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,462 Members 42,802 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

At&t Branding

Tip us?
 
colts187
Old
#1  
colts187's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 307
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Little Rock

 
DONATE TO ME
Default At&t Branding

I got my hd today and I love it. It keeps throwing me off having that at&t symbol right below the freaking home button. I keep hitting it. I guess i was too used to my gs3 home button. This phone is freakin awesome..

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app
 
mqguitar
Old
#2  
mqguitar's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 73
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by colts187 View Post
I got my hd today and I love it. It keeps throwing me off having that at&t symbol right below the freaking home button. I keep hitting it. I guess i was too used to my gs3 home button. This phone is freakin awesome..

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app
You are not alone lol!!

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium
 
Kedakari
Old
#3  
Kedakari's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 126
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington DC
I hate the branding. It really takes away from the look of the phone.

Anyways, can't complain too much. This phone rocks. I cant wait for root. I'm going to make a tweaked build.prop for everyone to use. I'm sure I can get it to benchmark better than the SGS3. So who cares I guess, all phones these days look alike practically.
----------------------------------------------------
Current: [Motorola Atrix HD]
----------------------------------------------------
Owned:[Motorola Atrix 2] [Motorola Atrix 4G]
[Apple IPhone 3GS] [Samsung Captivate]
[T-Mobile HTC G1]
 
hotrod010
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 56
Join Date: Mar 2011
Yes that att branding pisses me off too!! And all that space could have been used for bigger screen!!!!

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium
Devices:

Motorola Atrix HD
HTC One X
Asus transformer Prime
Samsung galaxy tab 10.1
HTC Evo View 4g (My car entertainment system)
HP Touchpads (3 of them) all rooted and ICS installed
Nookcolor rooted with ICS
 
RobAndroid
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 61
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland, OR
I'm glad it's just the deathstar logo and not the letters too.
 
vectorized
Old
#6  
vectorized's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 56
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston

 
DONATE TO ME
Default ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod010 View Post
Yes that att branding pisses me off too!! And all that space could have been used for bigger screen!!!!

No.... just no. I really wish people would stop saying this. You're all .... anyway:

There's a big black bar at the bottom for the same reason there's a big black bar at the top.
A) to put your hardware. It's gotta go somewhere. Bigger screen on top of the hardware, would've meant bigger/heavier phone.
B) There also has to be big black space at the top of the phone for the ear piece and the camera.... It has to match at the bottom, or else the screen wouldnt be symmetric.

Try this with me. Just for a second:
  • Hold your phone in landscape mode.
  • Imagine that you didnt have big black areas at the top or bottom
  • You'd have nowhere to rest your thumbs, and your fingers would be on the screen.
  • Also imagine how the screen would look offset to the bottom of the phone.... EW.

It matters less in portrait mode because you can squeeze the phone between your fingers & palm naturally.
When in landscape mode, you'll have to use two hands, and holding it with friction would be uncomfortable and unsafe.
Phone: Motorola Atrix HD (Pac Man 4.2.2 Rom) (YAY FINALLY UNLOCKED)
Tablet: Asus Transformer EEE Pad TF101 (Broken Screen)

-
Previous Phones:
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a
Motorola Backflip

Yeah... it's been hard.
 
Kedakari
Old
#7  
Kedakari's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 126
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorized View Post
No.... just no. I really wish people would stop saying this. You're all .... anyway:

There's a big black bar at the bottom for the same reason there's a big black bar at the top.
A) to put your hardware. It's gotta go somewhere. Bigger screen on top of the hardware, would've meant bigger/heavier phone.
B) There also has to be big black space at the top of the phone for the ear piece and the camera.... It has to match at the bottom, or else the screen wouldnt be symmetric.

Try this with me. Just for a second:
  • Hold your phone in landscape mode.
  • Imagine that you didnt have big black areas at the top or bottom
  • You'd have nowhere to rest your thumbs, and your fingers would be on the screen.
  • Also imagine how the screen would look offset to the bottom of the phone.... EW.

It matters less in portrait mode because you can squeeze the phone between your fingers & palm naturally.
When in landscape mode, you'll have to use two hands, and holding it with friction would be uncomfortable and unsafe.
I could careless for a screen larger than 4.3" the Atrix HD 4.5" is perfect.
I know there is hardware under the logo area. Also on the top end you have the notification LED, front camera and light sensor.
The complaint with the Death Star logo is that its right smack in the middle like the Iphone home button.
The Atrix HD looks really clean without buttons, but the logo disrupts the clan look and feel.

No one is really crying about it. Its just a frustrating after thought on behalf of AT&T. They could have placed it on the back with all that other serial number and LTE information is stamped.
I know that moshi screen protectors will cover the logos so you cant see them. I had one on my Atrix 2 and it was a really clean look.
I'll just have to wait for Moshi to make one for the MAHD.
So far I just have a universal one that only covers the screen area.
----------------------------------------------------
Current: [Motorola Atrix HD]
----------------------------------------------------
Owned:[Motorola Atrix 2] [Motorola Atrix 4G]
[Apple IPhone 3GS] [Samsung Captivate]
[T-Mobile HTC G1]
 
vectorized
Old
#8  
vectorized's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 56
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston

 
DONATE TO ME
I got the screen protector at the AT&T store, its great, covers the whole front of the phone, but it leaves a window for the deathstar. i'm probably gonna put some black something under it to hide it eventually. I think it's subtle enough. but it would've been much better on the back.

I promise you that wasnt added there by designers. it was added by a business person.
Phone: Motorola Atrix HD (Pac Man 4.2.2 Rom) (YAY FINALLY UNLOCKED)
Tablet: Asus Transformer EEE Pad TF101 (Broken Screen)

-
Previous Phones:
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a
Motorola Backflip

Yeah... it's been hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to vectorized For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Kedakari
Old
#9  
Kedakari's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 126
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorized View Post
I got the screen protector at the AT&T store, its great, covers the whole front of the phone, but it leaves a window for the deathstar. i'm probably gonna put some black something under it to hide it eventually. I think it's subtle enough. but it would've been much better on the back.

I promise you that wasnt added there by designers. it was added by a business person.


I agree.
----------------------------------------------------
Current: [Motorola Atrix HD]
----------------------------------------------------
Owned:[Motorola Atrix 2] [Motorola Atrix 4G]
[Apple IPhone 3GS] [Samsung Captivate]
[T-Mobile HTC G1]
The Following User Says Thank You to Kedakari For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Kedakari
Old
#10  
Kedakari's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 126
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington DC
Just a quick MSpaint Edit!

Branding removed.
I have to admit though... It looks kinda boring.
I should have left more of the Motorola Branding on the top.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1kedakari.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1220400  
----------------------------------------------------
Current: [Motorola Atrix HD]
----------------------------------------------------
Owned:[Motorola Atrix 2] [Motorola Atrix 4G]
[Apple IPhone 3GS] [Samsung Captivate]
[T-Mobile HTC G1]

The Following User Says Thank You to Kedakari For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes