Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[FIRMWARE] <I535VRUCML1> (MODEM/RPM/TZ/SBL) Verizon SGS3 (SCH-I535)

OP invisiblek

22nd July 2012, 05:11 AM   |  #1  
No, I do not have a full I535VRUCML1 firmware package for you.
Yes, I somewhat lied in the title of this thread. But I did it for a good reason: to get your attention.
Mods - I'm sure you'll understand.

You should NOT flash the I535VRUCML1 firmware (or any subsequent releases for that matter). You will brick. This is what vzw/samsung did on the first OTA for the Galaxy S4. They changed the keys they sign the firmware with. This prevents us from 'mis-matching' our firmware like we've been doing all along. We've been leaving aboot (VRUAME6, the african-canadian sock-monkey leaked bootloader) alone and updating everything else. Since they're signing with different keys now, doing this will brick your device. If you update the ENTIRE bootchain (including aboot) you shouldn't brick, but will be stuck with a locked bootloader and any attempt to downgrade (via dd, etc) will brick you as well. Even if you manage to flash an ENTIRE old bootchain over VRUCML1, you'll brick because they trip a qfuse that prevents it from working. More info about qfuse by djrbliss here: http://t.co/myb0LIrN6e

Just stick with VRUBMF1, trust me.

These firmware updates have, up until now, consisted of several partitions that we update:
- tz (trustzone)
- rpm (resource/power management)
- sbl[1,2,3] (secure bootloaders)
- NON-HLOS (modem/baseband)

Due to the way Samsung and Verizon have chosen to proceed with future updates (following what they do for the Galaxy S4) we cannot flash all these partitions anymore (see above) and retain our unlocked bootloader. We CAN, however, update the baseband as it's not signed.

My recommendation: if you aren't already on MF1 firmware (below), flash that. Then update your baseband with this: http://invisiblek.org/sch-i535/modem..._ML1_modem.zip

Latest firmware (aka AIO) linked here: http://invisiblek.org/d2firmware.html

Find all firmware (aka AIO) packages here: http://invisiblek.org/sch-i535/firmware/
Last edited by invisiblek; 21st December 2013 at 11:50 AM.
The Following 286 Users Say Thank You to invisiblek For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2012, 05:36 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 13

151 posts
How would we measure objectively, coverage/speed differences between what we have the old and new radios?

I guess bandwidth speed test app? Anything else?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flowah For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2012, 05:42 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 66

192 posts
More
Sweet. Maybe I'll get better signal. My voice/1x reception has been worse than my old dx. I'm dropping calls left and right. I also live in the middle of BFE.

how is baseband/radio affected when we flash something else with cwm or with Odin? I mean, I have stock rooted w. b00stedv.002, but if I flash aokp or cm, will it replace this new radio with whatever one is included with them?

Slightly OT, I remember on the dx, if you wanted to sbf without the radio you did it with Linux, otherwise with moto's rsdlite.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preusstang For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2012, 06:06 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 8

35 posts
Will this wipe data/swap us back to a stockish rom?
22nd July 2012, 06:08 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Springfield, MA
Thanks Meter: 19,611

2,604 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblek

I've always liked having a thread dedicated to keeping links for the most updated modems for a device. Just easier to find that way.

These are packaged for flashing with Odin. Flash in the PDA section.

I will not promise anything as far as faster speeds or better coverage.

IMPORTANT:
Do not unplug while this is happening, unless you are in dire need of a paperweight.
Odin tends to seem like it hangs for a short bit toward the end of the flash. Be patient, it will finish and automatically reboot.

Latest one on top.

VRLG1 - http://goo.im/devs/invisiblek/i535/VRLG1.modem.tar.md5
This is the first OTA

VRLF2 - http://goo.im/devs/invisiblek/i535/VRLF2.modem.tar.md5
This is the original shipped modem

very good idea these are amaazing.. any idea if the new radio plays nicer with installs etc.. as the old one has more or less everyone with no service here and there.. or globally roaming :/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTown106 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2012, 06:15 AM   |  #6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstown106

very good idea these are amaazing.. any idea if the new radio plays nicer with installs etc.. as the old one has more or less everyone with no service here and there.. or globally roaming :/

no idea, i'm still rocking a stock rom
would be nice though if this fixed some of the aosp problems

MOD: please sticky this thread
The Following User Says Thank You to invisiblek For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2012, 06:18 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Springfield, MA
Thanks Meter: 19,611

2,604 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblek

no idea, i'm still rocking a stock rom
would be nice though if this fixed some of the aosp problems

MOD: please sticky this thread

im on cm10 after all the audio commits etc it seems like the most stable rom other than stock, beats aokp or cm9 right now imho, no data drops etc
22nd July 2012, 06:25 AM   |  #8  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,134

2,391 posts
Donate to Me
More
So...This is just the new baseband right?

So should be able to flash with custom recovery/rom etc?

this is my first samsung device so not looking for a brick.
22nd July 2012, 06:30 AM   |  #9  
Cuse
Thanks Meter: 59

269 posts

I'm stuck at this screen, its been doing it for about 10 min. is it ok to unplug and start over?
The Following User Says Thank You to burkett375 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2012, 06:38 AM   |  #10  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,134

2,391 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkett375

I'm stuck at this screen, its been doing it for about 10 min. is it ok to unplug and start over?

Did you verify the MD5 before flashing?

The Following User Says Thank You to nosympathy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread