5,606,297 Members 32,752 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The All-in-One Nexus 7 Charger Issues thread

Tip us?

qoncept
Old
(Last edited by qoncept; 9th August 2012 at 03:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default The All-in-One Nexus 7 Charger Issues thread

Update 8/9/12:
janedoesmith did a bunch of testing with different charger and cable combinations. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4#post29983624

Sounds like the most common problem is just cables with micro USB connectors that are too short.

----

There are a handful of threads that are a mish mash of good and bad/non-information. The N7 charger situation is a mess and finding a charger that works well is
almost impossible. It seems the cable you use is important, too.

"Confirmed working" chargers are chargers that work at > 500mA

Confirmed working 3rd party charger/cable combos (Updated 7/30/12):
- OEM Asus charger / $25 / ~1.8A / 3' cable
- HP Touchpad charger / ~$15 / ~1.6A / 6' cable
- Blackberry 1.8A Playbook charger / 1.8A rated / $15 / 6' cable
- Asus Transformer charger model AD827M / $? / 2A / length?
- Nokia AC-10U / 1.2A / $? / 6ft integrated cable
- Blackberry 700mA charger / 700mA rated / $5 / 6' cable

-------------------------------------------------------------

airphoto has noticed the actual micro usb connector is a little longer on the OEM cable than a typical cable. This is the only confirmed physical difference we know about at the moment.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=19

Here is my experience:

- Chargers seem to work in 3 different ways: 1) they'll charge at full capacity, 2) they'll charge but slower than they are rated, or 3) they won't charge at all (and the N7 will NOT show a charging icon) (Update: Chargers that don't show a charging icon will actually trickle charge, roughly 5% an hour)

- Shorting the data pins on a charger that doesn't charge at all (#3 above) results in NO CHANGE

- The USB cable you use is important, in what way I'm not sure. Using a cheapo cable I have with the OEM 2A charger results in my N7 charging slow, probably 350ma.

And here are the chargers I've tried with results:

- OEM charger with OEM cable: Charges from 0-100% in about 3 hours

- OEM charger with cheap cable: Charges from 0-100% in 18 hours or worse if the screen is off, drains FASTER than it charges with screen on

- Blackberry 700ma charger (integrated cable): Charges from 0-100% in about 8 hours, which is in line with what you would expect with it's output

- Cellet 1000ma charger with any cable: will not charge at all

- Cellet 1000ma charger with data pins shorted: will not charge at all

- Motorola dual charger (Razr Maxx): Same slow charge as above, about 18 hours to charge fully

In addition, I've used a handful of different brands and types of generic cables. Something is different about the OEM charger but no one (AFAIK) has been able to identify it yet. There is clearly more at play here than the rated charge rate, so if that is your only comment, please keep it out of this thread.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qoncept For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jmdearras
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
There are a handful of threads that are a mish mash of good and bad/non-information. The N7 charger situation is a mess and finding a charger that works well is almost impossible. It seems the cable you use is important, too.

Here is my experience:

- Chargers seem to work in 3 different ways: 1) they'll charge at full capacity, 2) they'll charge but slower than they are rated, or 3) they won't charge at all (and the N7 will NOT show a charging icon)

- Shorting the data pins on a charger that doesn't charge at all (#3 above) results in NO CHANGE

- The USB cable you use is important, in what way I'm not sure. Using a cheapo cable I have with the OEM 2A charger results in my N7 charging slow, probably 350ma.

And here are the chargers I've tried with results:

- OEM charger with OEM cable: Charges from 0-100% in about 3 hours

- OEM charger with cheap cable: Charges from 0-100% in 18 hours or worse if the screen is off, drains FASTER than it charges with screen on

- Blackberry 700ma charger (integrated cable): Charges from 0-100% in about 8 hours, which is in line with what you would expect with it's output

- Cellet 1000ma charger with any cable: will not charge at all

- Cellet 1000ma charger with data pins shorted: will not charge at all

- Motorola dual charger (Razr Maxx): Same slow charge as above, about 18 hours to charge fully

In addition, I've used a handful of different brands and types of generic cables. Something is different about the OEM charger but no one (AFAIK) has been able to identify it yet. There is clearly more at play here than the rated charge rate, so if that is your only comment, please keep it out of this thread.

The HP Touchpad charger and cable work fine.

Jim

nevertheless
Old
(Last edited by nevertheless; 24th July 2012 at 01:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
the blackberry 1.8a (folding blades) rapid charger works great. And I understand it's friendly with quite a range of devices. surprisingly the little Nokia 1.2a fast charer works very well. maybe a tiny bit less fast than OEM but acceptable. and can be had for around $5 bucks.

Kermee
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I just ordered one of the cheap USB-to-USB Galaxy Tab 10.1 adapters to test with the Nexus 7 on 2A-rated chargers which don't seem to charge at 'fast' speed.

Cheers,
Kermee

ipaqkiller
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermee View Post
I just ordered one of the cheap USB-to-USB Galaxy Tab 10.1 adapters to test with the Nexus 7 on 2A-rated chargers which don't seem to charge at 'fast' speed.

Cheers,
Kermee
It works fine. It's based on a standard for high amperage charging.
I made my own using a thread in the Galaxy Tab forum.

steviejake
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Asus Transformer charger for my TF101 uses Model AD827M charger that puts out 5v@2A or 15V@1.2A and works great. Fast and small.....

StevieJake

CooLoserTech
Old
Thanks Meter 211

DONATE TO ME
OEM Charger and Cable - About 1-2 hours. Its was only 3 on my first charge
If I've helped you click THANKS!

williamyu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I personally is having problem with OEM charger and cable not charging my N7 at all (shows 'No charge'). May be a faulty battery or something but I'll deal with google later.

Anyways, as related to your "clearly more at play", have you ever heard of the Apple charger mystery? At first people were wondering why some chargers work and some don't. Apparently, Apple chargers actually send voltage down the data line, which you would think no device would draw power on. What happens is that when the data line is at certain voltage, the i devices will read that as connect to power adapter, connect to computer, etc. Therefore, aftermarket chargers that only supply power on the usb power lines are not recognized as valid chargers.

So, with that in mind, maybe N7 is looking for the same thing in the data line coming from the charger. Maybe. And if you use a usb cable that's purely for charging, i.e. no data line at all, then it won't recognize it. Just a guess.

can't post url, but google "ladyada minty boost charge" and you'll see a result on "the mystery of apple device charging"

cdmoore74
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdearras View Post
The HP Touchpad charger and cable work fine.

Jim

This. I bought a spare one form hhgreg for $10 and it works great.

kitchencop
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have been using the kindle fire charger because it has a long cable. 2ah and charges just as gas as the OEM 2ah charger

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium