Ask a question

No registration required

Test your external microphone jack

OP iraf

24th July 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

62 posts
I purchased 2 Nexus 7 tablets from Google and both appear to have the same manufacturing defect; if you insert a headphone/mic, the headphone works fine but the external mic does not. Perhaps a solder joint is bad in both receptacles. I wanted to use the tablet for Skype and SIP so I am returning both units.
24th July 2012, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
Flag Sumter, S.C. (Not by choice)
Thanks Meter: 116

676 posts
More
Does the 3.5mm Jack even support microphone? Haven't been keeping up.
24th July 2012, 02:41 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

62 posts
Yes, various posts as well as Google support have confirmed that it should work.
24th July 2012, 03:00 PM   |  #4  
Flag Maryland
Thanks Meter: 166

680 posts
Donate to Me
More
My N7 only has 1 channel coming out of the headphones. I tested the headphones and they definitely work. I don't have headphones that have a mic so I can't test if that works tho.
24th July 2012, 03:33 PM   |  #5  

51 posts
I have the same issue of the sound only coming out of 1 side on the headphones. I've tested multiple headphones on different units and it's the nexus 7 which I will be exchanging this coming Sunday.
24th July 2012, 04:36 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 26

103 posts
I haven't had an issue with my headphones at all - crisp sound out of both ears. The microphone on the unit works as well (haven't had a chance to try out the wired ones). The only gripe I have about sound is that I wish the speakers were a bit louder, but a slight handcup on the back normally takes care of that!
24th July 2012, 04:37 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 218

744 posts
Mine doesn't work.
Last edited by acegolfer; 25th July 2012 at 03:26 PM.
24th July 2012, 05:05 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 4

73 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilrl79

My N7 only has 1 channel coming out of the headphones. I tested the headphones and they definitely work. I don't have headphones that have a mic so I can't test if that works tho.

Did you hear a loud click when you put your headphones in?

If not, ram it in HARD. It's seriously the tightest headphone jack I've ever seen...
24th July 2012, 05:50 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

62 posts
Just to be (crystal) clear, it is the external mic input that is not working. The internal mic works fine. This may not be important to you if you never intend to use a headphone/mic. What is happening on my defective units is that the jack is not cutting out the internal mic and connecting the external mic so when you do a test make sure that the input is in fact coming from the external mic (tap on the external mic to be sure).
24th July 2012, 07:49 PM   |  #10  
USA
Thanks Meter: 305

1,710 posts
More
I don't think it supports the mic through the 3.5mm jack. I just tried a few headsets i have and none of them worked with the mic.
Where did you see any reference to the mix being enabled to the headphones jack?

Thanks.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread