Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 48,157 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Printing from the Infinity (and Android in general)

Tip us?

brad0112358
Old
Thanks Meter 14
If you are looking for a free solution, I have been using "Let's Print Droid" to print to my CUPS based linux print server and it works great for me. I still need to work up a filter on the CUPS side for office documents, but everything else I have wanted to print worked well. This solution relies on the server side to do the format conversion which makes sense to me but wouldn't work if you want to print directly to a wireless printer.

--Brad

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

dmets
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have been using Cloud Print with an HP CP1025 and it works great. Any app that can "share" can print. No need for integration into the app or exiting the current app to unnaturally open a printing program to then select what you want to print.

It allows you to print right where you are - just Share to Cloud Print. Also allows you to save as PDF in your Google Drive. We had been using it for some time on our phones and now on our tabs. Easy to use.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

nor-ric
Old
(Last edited by nor-ric; 5th September 2012 at 01:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splaktar View Post
HP ePrint Home & Biz - 4 stars - Prints Word, Excel, Powerpoint, photos, PDF and text files. Supports network and WiFi printers and shared printers from a Windows PC. Does not appear to support Google Drive, Box, DropBox, etc. App not updated since March.
I don't exactly get the point. Was the HP app previusly supposed to allow printing via a shared printer (i.e. non a wireless printer but a "normal" printer hooked up to a pc and shared)?

If this was the case, what's the situation now? Has HP deleted this feature?

I've also read the app description on googleplay and HP site but it's not clear. Thanks!

Splaktar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 130

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nor-ric View Post
I don't exactly get the point. Was the HP app previusly supposed to allow printing via a shared printer (i.e. non a wireless printer but a "normal" printer hooked up to a pc and shared)?

If this was the case, what's the situation now? Has HP deleted this feature?

I've also read the app description on googleplay and HP site but it's not clear. Thanks!
Based on the updated description, it would appear to work. You may need some ePrint software installed on your PC. I would check the HP Support forums.
LG Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
ROM: Stock Rooted Android: 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock
SD Card: 32 GB Internal Case: Seidio DILEX Gold
Bluetooth Stereo Headsets: Nokia BH-503, LG HBS700 Bluetooth Speaker: JamBox (silver)
Asus TF700T 32 GB w/ dock - ROM: CleanROM 3.4.4 Android: 4.1.1 Kernel: Stock 10.4.4.25
Asus TF700T 32 GB w/ dock & NVFlash - ROM: CROMi-X 5.2.4 Android: 4.2.1 Kernel: _that 10.6.1.14.8
*LG Nexus 4 (Mako LG-E960)
*Samsung Galaxy S II (Hercules SGH-T989)
*HTC EVO 4G (Supersonic)

Darksurf
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Seriously. What would it take to port cups to an android app? We need to add a GUI for when we "share" or send things to be printed. But why hasn't anyone done this yet?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12249

DONATE TO ME
Printer share works with every app have thrown at it. It has its own GUI to access emails etc and it can use the share functionality.
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF300T | TF201T | ME301T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700T Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201T Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!

Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X / CROMBi-kk Development
The Following User Says Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

seesser
Old
(Last edited by seesser; 8th September 2012 at 11:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 30
I use the free version of printer share and have it linked to my Google cloud printer. This I have found to be the best choice for me as I have a main computer at my house that is always on (media and file server). I am able to print anything from web pages to full docs all from my tablet and my phone from anywhere in the world. Plus like I said I am using the free version so you can always try it out and see if it works for you.

Also not sure if you knew this about Google cloud printer but it will link to any printer you have on the computer that you are using with the chrome browser. So you don't need to buy a new printer just select it from the choices in the chrome setup.

One more thing that I found to be a great plus is that with printer share when you print a picture it gives you choices on the size of the photo and everything.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to seesser For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

okantomi
Old
Thanks Meter 712
Default Office Suite Pro has added print to its menu

So the latest update added print function directly from the app (as well as spell check) and some other good features. i'm really glad to see android apps continually adding features and getting closer to laptops...a step at a time.
Transformer Infinity 32Gb - KK 4.2.2
ROM: CROMBI.KK with _that kernel
Nexus 7 32Gb - KK 4.4.2
Galaxy Note 2 - 4.3

When someone--anyone--helps you, give them a THANKS!

tformed
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I use this free app called Cortado Workplace for printing documents, it is able to connect to most printers. Haven't had luck with printer share.

Splaktar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 130

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary1022 View Post
Since I have a older computer that I host my media on, being able to use Google own cloud print services come in handy the few times I need to print something off. It gets the job done effectively
What app do you use for accessing Google Cloud Print services on your Infinity?
LG Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
ROM: Stock Rooted Android: 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock
SD Card: 32 GB Internal Case: Seidio DILEX Gold
Bluetooth Stereo Headsets: Nokia BH-503, LG HBS700 Bluetooth Speaker: JamBox (silver)
Asus TF700T 32 GB w/ dock - ROM: CleanROM 3.4.4 Android: 4.1.1 Kernel: Stock 10.4.4.25
Asus TF700T 32 GB w/ dock & NVFlash - ROM: CROMi-X 5.2.4 Android: 4.2.1 Kernel: _that 10.6.1.14.8
*LG Nexus 4 (Mako LG-E960)
*Samsung Galaxy S II (Hercules SGH-T989)
*HTC EVO 4G (Supersonic)

Tags
android printing, printing, tablet printing, transformer printing