Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Printing from the Infinity (and Android in general)

OP Splaktar

2nd August 2012, 07:04 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 14

23 posts
If you are looking for a free solution, I have been using "Let's Print Droid" to print to my CUPS based linux print server and it works great for me. I still need to work up a filter on the CUPS side for office documents, but everything else I have wanted to print worked well. This solution relies on the server side to do the format conversion which makes sense to me but wouldn't work if you want to print directly to a wireless printer.

--Brad

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app
9th August 2012, 11:47 AM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I have been using Cloud Print with an HP CP1025 and it works great. Any app that can "share" can print. No need for integration into the app or exiting the current app to unnaturally open a printing program to then select what you want to print.

It allows you to print right where you are - just Share to Cloud Print. Also allows you to save as PDF in your Google Drive. We had been using it for some time on our phones and now on our tabs. Easy to use.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
5th September 2012, 02:32 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 71

433 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splaktar

HP ePrint Home & Biz - 4 stars - Prints Word, Excel, Powerpoint, photos, PDF and text files. Supports network and WiFi printers and shared printers from a Windows PC. Does not appear to support Google Drive, Box, DropBox, etc. App not updated since March.

I don't exactly get the point. Was the HP app previusly supposed to allow printing via a shared printer (i.e. non a wireless printer but a "normal" printer hooked up to a pc and shared)?

If this was the case, what's the situation now? Has HP deleted this feature?

I've also read the app description on googleplay and HP site but it's not clear. Thanks!
Last edited by nor-ric; 5th September 2012 at 02:34 PM.
6th September 2012, 05:46 AM   |  #24  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne, FL
Thanks Meter: 130

670 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nor-ric

I don't exactly get the point. Was the HP app previusly supposed to allow printing via a shared printer (i.e. non a wireless printer but a "normal" printer hooked up to a pc and shared)?

If this was the case, what's the situation now? Has HP deleted this feature?

I've also read the app description on googleplay and HP site but it's not clear. Thanks!

Based on the updated description, it would appear to work. You may need some ePrint software installed on your PC. I would check the HP Support forums.
6th September 2012, 06:10 AM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 8

208 posts
Seriously. What would it take to port cups to an android app? We need to add a GUI for when we "share" or send things to be printed. But why hasn't anyone done this yet?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium
8th September 2012, 09:59 AM   |  #26  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,219

11,662 posts
Donate to Me
More
Printer share works with every app have thrown at it. It has its own GUI to access emails etc and it can use the share functionality.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th September 2012, 12:26 PM   |  #27  
Flag Fulton IL
Thanks Meter: 30

159 posts
More
I use the free version of printer share and have it linked to my Google cloud printer. This I have found to be the best choice for me as I have a main computer at my house that is always on (media and file server). I am able to print anything from web pages to full docs all from my tablet and my phone from anywhere in the world. Plus like I said I am using the free version so you can always try it out and see if it works for you.

Also not sure if you knew this about Google cloud printer but it will link to any printer you have on the computer that you are using with the chrome browser. So you don't need to buy a new printer just select it from the choices in the chrome setup.

One more thing that I found to be a great plus is that with printer share when you print a picture it gives you choices on the size of the photo and everything.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by seesser; 8th September 2012 at 12:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to seesser For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th September 2012, 02:18 PM   |  #28  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 715

3,014 posts
More
Office Suite Pro has added print to its menu
So the latest update added print function directly from the app (as well as spell check) and some other good features. i'm really glad to see android apps continually adding features and getting closer to laptops...a step at a time.
27th September 2012, 02:23 AM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 11

91 posts
I use this free app called Cortado Workplace for printing documents, it is able to connect to most printers. Haven't had luck with printer share.
2nd October 2012, 11:37 PM   |  #30  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne, FL
Thanks Meter: 130

670 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary1022

Since I have a older computer that I host my media on, being able to use Google own cloud print services come in handy the few times I need to print something off. It gets the job done effectively

What app do you use for accessing Google Cloud Print services on your Infinity?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android printing, printing, tablet printing, transformer printing
Previous Thread Next Thread