Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,397 Members 48,605 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.2+][NFC/QR] InstaWifi - Share and connect to wifi networks instantly

Tip us?
 
meltedxice
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Posts: 19
Join Date: Jun 2010
Cool [APP][2.2+][NFC/QR] InstaWifi - Share and connect to wifi networks instantly

Hi fellow xda-developers,

I am happy to announce my first Android app, InstaWifi. InstaWifi is a new and fun way to connect and share your wifi networks with your friends and family.

I built this with NFC and QR code support. Simply tap on a NFC sticker or scan a QR code to connect to a wifi network instantly. Android Beam is also supported so you can skip the whole NFC sticker part.

Download the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...chen.instawifi

For more details, screenshots, and tutorials, check out my website: http://www.instawifi.jessechen.net/



Looking forward to any feedback or comments you guys have. Thanks!
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to meltedxice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
NewKlNGjames
Old
#2  
NewKlNGjames's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 78
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Looks great can't wait to try it out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
 
meltedxice
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Posts: 19
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thanks, let me know how it goes!
 
mDroidd
Old
#4  
mDroidd's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1382
Posts: 1,833
Join Date: Aug 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Indeed looking great

Am I right someone WITHOUT root can use this to connect with current WiFi?
I suppose so..

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
acejavelin
Old
#5  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 417
Posts: 1,409
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bismarck, ND

 
DONATE TO ME
Two questions...

1) Does the other person need to have the app as well, or will just any QR scanner app on any Android device work with this?

2) You can probably guess where that question will lead next, if someone has an (ugh!) iPhone or iPad with a QR scanner app, will it be able to automatically connect as well?

Thanks!
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
 
AzNTypeR
Old
(Last edited by AzNTypeR; 24th September 2012 at 09:15 PM.)
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 46
Posts: 265
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Loving the concept of the app, and it Works!
Current Crop of Devices:
Black 'New' iPad - iOS 6.1
White iPhone 4S - iOS 7.1
White LG G-Pad 8.3
- Android 4.4.2

Retired:
White XPERIA Play - BROKEN - Gin2KitKat 3.0.0 (Android 2.3.7)
Black Galaxy 3 - DEAD
- CM9 ICS Port (Android 4.0)
 
meltedxice
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Posts: 19
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mDroidd View Post
Indeed looking great

Am I right someone WITHOUT root can use this to connect with current WiFi?
I suppose so..

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yes, root is ONLY used to pre-populate the security type and passwords so that you don't have to manually type it in yourself. It is not required at all in order for it to work otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Two questions...

1) Does the other person need to have the app as well, or will just any QR scanner app on any Android device work with this?

2) You can probably guess where that question will lead next, if someone has an (ugh!) iPhone or iPad with a QR scanner app, will it be able to automatically connect as well?

Thanks!
1) The other person needs to have the Barcode Scanner app installed (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...client.android). It's the most popular barcode scanner app out there with ~50,000,000 downloads, so most people should have it already.

2) iOS devices can't automatically connect unfortunately due to the limitations of apple's platform (apps cannot control/manipulate wifi). If that ever changes you know I'll be there to write an app that can do it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meltedxice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
RoFu25
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Tested this with my Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100).
But I can't connect to my Wifi via QR-Code. Is there a (known) issue with hidden SSIDs maybe?

The Wifi Settings of the phone tell me the Wifi is "not in range".

I'm on CM10 with Siyah Kernel.
 
15israellai
Old
#9  
15israellai's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 329
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
An excellent app.
An extremely minor suggestion: not use a square icon but one with a "distinctive silhouette".
Can totally be ignored though

Blazing on my Nexus Prime
Nexus Prime


Don't have Copy? Follow this link to sign up and get 20GB of storage space!
 
meltedxice
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Posts: 19
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoFu25 View Post
Tested this with my Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100).
But I can't connect to my Wifi via QR-Code. Is there a (known) issue with hidden SSIDs maybe?

The Wifi Settings of the phone tell me the Wifi is "not in range".

I'm on CM10 with Siyah Kernel.
I believe hidden SSIDs have an issue with this. I'll try to see if that can be fixed in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15israellai View Post
An excellent app.
An extremely minor suggestion: not use a square icon but one with a "distinctive silhouette".
Can totally be ignored though

Blazing on my Nexus Prime
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep that thought in mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to meltedxice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
nfc, qr code, wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes