Seriously?! anyone get the Nexus 7 to work without wifi?

OP gijosh28

25th July 2012, 07:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19

96 posts
Short Story: Is there anyway to make the nexus start working without WiFi?

Long Story: Sherman, set the Way-Back Machine for about a month ago. So there I was the day of the Google I/O conference refreshing the google play store over and over again until the moment I could order my Nexus 7. Needless to say I ordered it the minute I could. Today I recieved my Nexus 7. It took a while to get here. I picked it up from the mailroom three hours ago. I let it charge and turned it on. First screen asks for my country. Second screen says searching for WiFi. And there I sit because , I don't have WiFi. Is there a workaround for this? Or do I have a $250 paperweight, until I get home later this year?

I can't be the only one with this problem.

Resources available to me:
1) I have a laptop that is connected to very slow internet (ethernet, not wireless). It has USB ports, but I don't think theres a way to share internet through USB. I can not attach a wifi router to this network.
2) I have WiFi where I sleep, but I need to open a browser and put in a username and password to log in. I don't think that will work because I can't get to the web browser part of this.

My last resort is to mail it back home to have family activate it and then mail it back to me. Kind of absurd. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

EDIT************
ATTN TROLLS: before replying and looking stupid, make sure to read the whole thread. The problem has been resolved. I even explained how I resolved it for other people with potentially the same problem. I have also clearly explained why I bought the Nexus 7. A tablet is a tablet. Without WiFi it still lets me read books, play games, do Sudoku puzzles, and watch episodes that I bring back on a USB thumb drive. I used it to replace my Nook Color running CM7. I have enough WiFi back in my room to browse the web and check my email.

Thanks to everyone that offered constructive help.
To the trolls, I hope you get pushed down a slide of razors into a pool of acid.
Last edited by gijosh28; 26th August 2012 at 11:22 AM.
25th July 2012, 07:42 AM   |  #2  
Ventura
Thanks Meter: 392

1,623 posts
Does the laptop ha e wifi, if so you can share the wired internet connection wirelessly via connnectify

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
25th July 2012, 07:52 AM   |  #3  
Flag FL
Thanks Meter: 29

250 posts
Go to Starbucks or McDonalds, Lol
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hullbay For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th July 2012, 07:53 AM   |  #4  
Flag Kzoo
Thanks Meter: 19

249 posts
More
You wouldn't happen to have a neighbor with an open network you could leach off of do you?
25th July 2012, 07:56 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

43 posts
That seems like a serious oversight if this is the case.
25th July 2012, 07:56 AM   |  #6  
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 2,634

8,911 posts
More
If you have Windows 7: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9739/...th-connectify/
The Following User Says Thank You to Product F(RED) For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th July 2012, 07:57 AM   |  #7  
Flag Absurdistan
Thanks Meter: 257

804 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijosh28

Anyone have any suggestions?

Find and use some nearby wi-fi ?
25th July 2012, 07:58 AM   |  #8  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 64

404 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullbay

Go to Starbucks or McDonalds, Lol

This, seems easy enough. Go get a coffee :P
25th July 2012, 08:06 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mesa, AZ
Thanks Meter: 657

798 posts
More
Well, if you are rooted (should be able to root without setting up) then you can just kill the 'setup', process through adb on your pc. You could also try to flash a ROM without that set up process. Like CM

I thought this when I was setting up my tablet and wondered when would happen if someone didn't have wi fi available immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 7
25th July 2012, 08:08 AM   |  #10  
Flag FL
Thanks Meter: 29

250 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Of All

Well, if you are rooted (should be able to root without setting up) then you can just kill the 'setup', process through adb on your pc. You could also try to flash a ROM without that set up process. Like CM

I thought this when I was setting up my tablet and wondered when would happen if someone didn't have wi fi available immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Or this. But hey, go grab a coffee, then root.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread