Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,837 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best RSS Reader App

Tip us?

johnjohn25
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Best RSS Reader App

I'm wondering what RSS reader/google reader type apps you guys are using?

I have gReader Pro, Reader HD, FeedR, and NewsRob Pro. I have already also used the default google reader app and Just Reader and a few others. I still haven't found a google reader app that looks and works great. The main issues I have with the listed reader apps are that most don't display images properly, as in 70% of the screen is for the feed but pictures from flickr rss feeds or tumblr only show up as a small box fitting 10% of the screen; tons of unused space. Would be nice for an RSS reader app that smartly adjusted pictures for optimal screen usage.

Wish they'd make Reeder for android, that rss app is nearly perfect.

Phone: Apple iPhone 4s 64GB White
Carrier: AT&T

Tablet: Asus Nexus 7
Rom: Stock 4.1 Jelly Bean

ace7196 Old
Thanks Meter 0
gReader Pro. Best interface/everything.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BlackDino
Old
Thanks Meter 2,297

DONATE TO ME
Personally I love Reader HD
to each their own.
LG G2
Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Galaxy S 4
Samsung Galaxy S III
Nexus 7 (2012)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Motorola Xoom
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Focus
Nexus One

bcvictory
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Reader HD or the official Reader App for me. Maybe flip board when it gets optimized for tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

2011: Nook Color
2012: Nexus 7
2013: Nexus 7 (2013)
Paranoid Android 3.99
ElementalX @ 2.2Ghz

E_man5112
Old
(Last edited by E_man5112; 26th July 2012 at 12:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 35
What don't you like about JustReader? My go to tablet reader. Pictures show up pretty good, though not perfect. As for why an app doesn't do what you want it to do, trust me, it's a stupidly hard thing to do. You'd think it would be built in to android to make that an option, but by the time you are allowed to measure pixel size, all the automatic calls have passed. It takes some rewriting of how views measure themselves. I went through that with my Read It Later app I was working on before I canned it when Pocket came out.

For the apps that overcame that issue (JustReader being one of them) you then have the problem of online pictures being small. A 320x480 picture would be about 2.7" diagonally on a 7" 1280*800 screen. If you look at a feed like The Verge that uses large pictures, you will seem them fill edge to edge (on JustReader). However, other places use much smaller pictures. Then you have the problem that a lot of places send smaller pictures over RSS. For example, LifeHacker uses ~600x400 pictures on their website, but half that size on their RSS page. I will say I wish Just Reader handled images a little better in that it still centered the picture above the text (not hard to do, but I guess that was the devs design choice), but it scales pictures up to, but not past the devices native resolution, but it cannot magically make pictures higher res. None of these can. The alternative is super pixelated larger pictures.

*I don't mean to sound like a JustReader fanboy, it's simply the app I use and have experience with. I'm sure many of the other apps handle this the same way. I also feel that this is the most "Reeder" like app I've used. In fact, I prefer it due to the more customizable swipe gestures.
Have: Nexus 4, Transformer+Dock, iPod Touch, Nexus 7
Had: Tab 10.1, Focus, Touchpad, iPad 1, Focus S, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Captivate
Want: Nexus 10

The Following User Says Thank You to E_man5112 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
ace7196 Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_man5112 View Post
What don't you like about Just Reader? My go to tablet reader. Pictures show up pretty good, though not perfect. As for why an app doesn't do what you want it to do, trust me, it's a stupidly hard thing to do. You'd think it would be built in to android to make that an option, but by the time you are allowed to measure pixel size, all the automatic calls have passed. It takes some rewriting of how views measure themselves. I went through that with my Read It Later app I was working on before I canned it when Pocket came out.

For the apps that overcame that issue (Just Reader being one of them) you then have the problem of online pictures being small. A 320x480 picture would be about 2.7" diagonally on a 7" 1280*800 screen. If you look at a feed like The Verge that uses large pictures, you will seem them fill edge to edge (on Just Reader). However, other places use much smaller pictures. Then you have the problem that a lot of places send smaller pictures over RSS. For example, LifeHacker uses ~600x400 pictures on their website, but half that size on their RSS page. I will say I wish Just Reader handled images a little better in that it still centered the picture above the text (not hard to do, but I guess that was the devs design choice), but it scales pictures up to, but not past the devices native resolution, but it cannot magically make pictures higher res. None of these can. The alternative is super pixelated larger pictures.

*I don't mean to sound like a Just Reader fanboy, it's simply the app I use and have experience with. I'm sure many of the other apps handle this the same way. I also feel that this is the most "Reeder" like app I've used. In fact, I prefer it due to the more customizable swipe gestures.
Is Just Reader and app, or do you mean Google Reader?

If you mean Google Reader, does it work with podcasts?

E_man5112
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace7196 View Post
Is Just Reader and app, or do you mean Google Reader?

If you mean Google Reader, does it work with podcasts?
I mean JustReader (no space, my bad). It claims podcast support in the free version, but I've never done that. Always kept podcasts and rss seperate.
Have: Nexus 4, Transformer+Dock, iPod Touch, Nexus 7
Had: Tab 10.1, Focus, Touchpad, iPad 1, Focus S, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Captivate
Want: Nexus 10

NZtechfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 931
gReaderPro. Best RSS reader available for Android from the functionality point of view, if you subscribe to dozens of feeds like I do it is really the way to go. If your RSS needs are more casual stuff like Flipboard and Currents or Pulse may suffice (prettier to look at).
Twitter: @nztechfreak
Blogs: androidnz.net, blog.clove.co.uk
Facebook: http://goo.gl/baZHQ

The Following User Says Thank You to NZtechfreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

john9
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace7196 View Post
gReader Pro. Best interface/everything.
I agree.

jcjr81
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Greader Pro. Its the best I've used. The layout is good, it's fast and it's reliable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Tags
rss