5,593,458 Members 36,740 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best RSS Reader App

Tip us?

wugui
Old
Thanks Meter 4
You guys not using google current? You could import your rss from your google reader directly in the apps itself, pretty awesome
HTC DREAM In a corner of my stash
Dell Streak In another corner
Nexus S [ROM] 4.2.2 Rasbeanjelly DEAD
Nexus 7 [ROM] rasbeanjelly [Android 4.2.2_r1.2 JDQ39E]

Twitter, JOVE

E_man5112
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wugui View Post
You guys not using google current? You could import your rss from your google reader directly in the apps itself, pretty awesome
If only it had 2 way sync. As it is, I don't want to see an article in both currents, and google reader, such as on the desktop.
Have: Nexus 4, Transformer+Dock, iPod Touch, Nexus 7
Had: Tab 10.1, Focus, Touchpad, iPad 1, Focus S, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Captivate
Want: Nexus 10

wugui
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_man5112 View Post
If only it had 2 way sync. As it is, I don't want to see an article in both currents, and google reader, such as on the desktop.
oh right, that is one issue, didnt thought of it as i dont always read everything
HTC DREAM In a corner of my stash
Dell Streak In another corner
Nexus S [ROM] 4.2.2 Rasbeanjelly DEAD
Nexus 7 [ROM] rasbeanjelly [Android 4.2.2_r1.2 JDQ39E]

Twitter, JOVE

johnjohn25
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_man5112 View Post
What don't you like about JustReader? My go to tablet reader. Pictures show up pretty good, though not perfect. As for why an app doesn't do what you want it to do, trust me, it's a stupidly hard thing to do. You'd think it would be built in to android to make that an option, but by the time you are allowed to measure pixel size, all the automatic calls have passed. It takes some rewriting of how views measure themselves. I went through that with my Read It Later app I was working on before I canned it when Pocket came out.

For the apps that overcame that issue (JustReader being one of them) you then have the problem of online pictures being small. A 320x480 picture would be about 2.7" diagonally on a 7" 1280*800 screen. If you look at a feed like The Verge that uses large pictures, you will seem them fill edge to edge (on JustReader). However, other places use much smaller pictures. Then you have the problem that a lot of places send smaller pictures over RSS. For example, LifeHacker uses ~600x400 pictures on their website, but half that size on their RSS page. I will say I wish Just Reader handled images a little better in that it still centered the picture above the text (not hard to do, but I guess that was the devs design choice), but it scales pictures up to, but not past the devices native resolution, but it cannot magically make pictures higher res. None of these can. The alternative is super pixelated larger pictures.

*I don't mean to sound like a JustReader fanboy, it's simply the app I use and have experience with. I'm sure many of the other apps handle this the same way. I also feel that this is the most "Reeder" like app I've used. In fact, I prefer it due to the more customizable swipe gestures.
I just retried JustReader and you were right! So far on the Nexus 7 it seems to work the best for what I'm looking for. I spend way too much money on RSS apps lol, but thankfully I already owned JustReader from a few months ago. Thanks man.

Phone: Apple iPhone 4s 64GB White
Carrier: AT&T

Tablet: Asus Nexus 7
Rom: Stock 4.1 Jelly Bean

bobsilver
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Try Freely. Great RSS app much like Flip board. I love it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

iamelton
Old
Thanks Meter 294
is there any RSS app that does not use Google? i use to use News Room, but it seems to be abandoned and is not updated since ICS..
LG Nexus 5 (D821) : KitKat 4.4.2 (KOT49H) rooted (by bigxie), Xposed Framework (by rovo89, Tungstwenty)

LG Nexus 4 (E960) : KitKat 4.4.2 (KOT49H) rooted
ASUS Nexus 7 (ME370T) : KitKat 4.4.2 (KOT49H) rooted
Sony Xperia S (LT26i) : Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (6.2.B.1.96) rooted, DooMKernel (by DooMLoRD)
Huawei IDEOS X5 (U8800H) : Aurora ICS 5.0u21 (by dzo)

==================================================

[INFO] Disable OTA update notification

nigelw
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I use Feedly, works great on android and on desktop in Firefox or chrome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
The Following User Says Thank You to nigelw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guthrien
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Reader HD isn't just a good rss app it's one of the better android apps I've used. Very slick and just loaded with features. I'm impressed and happy every time I use it.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Current Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Verizon; Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)

arwilson529
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelw View Post
I use Feedly, works great on android and on desktop in Firefox or chrome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Ditto. Feedly is great on JB, but its frustrating that it doesn't work on ICS. If Google Currents would support the organization of feeds into groups like Google Reader does I'd be all over it.

Dorkington
Old
Thanks Meter 10
ReaderHD here, I like the mobilization options.
Asylum-Photo.com(nsfw)
iPhone 4S iOS 5.0.1 Jailbroken
Nexus 7Android 4.1 - Pre-Ordered

Tags
rss