[SOLUTION] Samsung Mobile MTP Device -- CODE 10 error at Devicemanager

Search This thread

LichtiMC

Dec 4, 2008
Hey people...
Just wanted to post a solution to a problem apparently a lot of users are experiencing...

When you first attach your phone to the pc by USB, the drivers have to be installed. (Here is a good ressource, where you can always dowload the latest drivers extracted from the Samsung Kies Package: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1655286)

Now it could happen, that all of the drivers install successfully, but one of them, the "Samsung Mobile MTP Device", which cannot be installed, since there's always a CODE 10 (This device cannot start).

As I searched for quite a while for a working solution with no luck (there are different solutions, but none of them worked for me, as in my case it wasn't a faulty-driver problem...), i finally remembered a solution to a similiar case with a DVD-RW Drive. I tried the same process with my actual driver problem, and it worked right away... :good:

HERE's THE SOLUTION:
  1. Go to the Registry Editor (Start --> Run --> "regedit" --> [ENTER])
  2. Search the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
  3. If you click one of the few subkeys in class (e.g. {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}) you'll find the string value (Standard) on the right side with a value (e.g. DVD/CD-ROM-Drives)
  4. You have to find the value "Portable Devices" on the string value (Standard) (In my case {EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}, but I don't know if they are called always the same.
  5. Once found, you see a string value called UpperFilters --> DELETE IT!
  6. Finished! :) Now your Samsung Mobile MTP Device should be recognized and even installed correctly right away. (The name of the device changed to GT-I9100 (Devicemanager) in my case...)
Here an explanation about UpperFilters and LowerFilters if you want to know more: http://djlizard.net/2007/04/30/230/

Maybe this short tutorial can save you some time... =)

Best regards to all of you!

Vytookas

Sep 13, 2007
Not solved

No such registry subkey as "Portable Devices"
What OS U use?

Last edited:

whoisrich

May 6, 2011
Thank you for this, was trying to get a Samsung Galaxy Note to connect.
After having to manually point it to the drivers folder, they installed but would not start.

The registry keys seemed a little different to how you described, I am on Windows 7 64-bit, but found:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}\
Deleted the value "UpperFilters", plugged the USB back in, and it worked!

Now can happily sync using the Samsung Kies software.

( Note to others, backup first, right click the key tree you are editing, choose export. Run the .reg to restore any screw ups. )

kosenn

Apr 1, 2009
Oakland, CA
I gave up trying to use Kies. I am using windows 7 64. I found the correct folder but there is no value "Upper filter" showing. I also have a Philips Go Gear Muse player and It uses the Songbird software. Songbird also works with the samsung galaxy 4.2 player in mass storage mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: the_saintvn

AngryDuckFTW

Sep 23, 2012
You legend!!!!

thank you so so much i signed up to this forum just to say thank you, i had tried everything and was reading solutions that i just knew before even trying that they wouldnt work.

anyway i read this seemed exactly what i needed and yes it did work :)

so thank you very much its been a long week of trying to find fixes for this!!!!!

cadcat

Account currently disabled
Sep 9, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Samsung MTP Driver fix

Thanks for your fix for this problem- it was driving me crazy!
I did find that the only UpperFilters key that needed to be removed was for the USBSTOR entries.
Also, I think that anyone trying this- Make a Reg backup first....
Thanks again.

mr_ding

May 16, 2005
Toronto
Use *#7284# to enter PhoneUtil mode, Press (Qualcomm USB Settings), and change it to 'MTP + ADB' mode.

Then MTP should work fine.

sb0

Oct 12, 2011
Same here no UpperFilters key.
Any other suggestions?

For future reference, restoring to an older cwm backup fixed this issue for me (clean flashing to stock or to other roms DID NOT WORK). However I still do get the message from time to time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

rorycupen

Apr 15, 2011
Samsung Mobile MTP Device Code 10 error - Fix

Samsung Galaxy SII - Epic 4G Touch - SPH-D710

To Fix Driver issue ...

1. Close Kies, if open on your computer
2. Disconnect your phone from the USB port on your computer
3. Ensure USB debugging is selected on your Phone
4. Edit the Registry - Regedit
5. Locate - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\
6. Right Click 'Class' folder - Select 'Export' - Save as 'Class.reg' to any backup location
7. Select 'Edit', 'Find' - desect 'Keys' and 'Values' in the 'Look at' - type in 'portable devices' in the 'Find what:' field [Hit Enter]
8. It should be found at 'EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A', possibly last subfolder in the 'Class' folder
9. If you see UpperFilters in the 'Name' column .. Delete it.
10. Plug your phone back into the computer via USB
11. The driver should be automatically installed
12. If not, toggle back and forth between Media device (MTP) and Camera (PTP) on your Phone USB PC connection settings, the driver should install automatically - Finished. If you want to use Kies, you should now be able to launch Kies and it should connect automatically.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
13. If you do not see UpperFilters in the 'Name' column .. Create it - Right click on the 'EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A' string
14. Select 'new' 'Multi String Value' .. name it 'UpperFilters'. Double Click on 'UpperFilters' - add the data field as 'anything really' (doesn't matter)
15. Plug your phone back into the computer via USB
16. The driver should try to install and automatically Fail
17. Disconnect your phone from the USB port on your computer
18. Now delete the UpperFilters in the 'Name' column .. that you just created
19. Plug your phone back into the computer via USB
20. The driver should be automatically installed
21. If not, toggle back and forth between Media device (MTP) and Camera (PTP) on your Phone USB PC connection settings, the driver should install automatically - Finished. If you want to use Kies, you should now be able to launch Kies and it should connect automatically.

Hope this helps!

nathanaelb

Dec 1, 2012
I've had the same problem trying to connect my S3 on Windows 7 64-bit, either with Kies installed or just as a media storage device. None of the above solutions worked for me, but then I read somewhere else on the net to use the original Samsung USB cable and that solved it - I can connect as a media storage device again!
I was using a USB cable from a 3rd party charger, not an official one. There must be something slightly different in the wiring of the proper Samsung USB cables.

Hope this helps someone.
Nathanael

koner1992

Jan 17, 2009

To Fix Driver issue ...

6. Right Click 'Class' folder - Select 'Export' - Save as 'Class.reg' to any backup location
7. Select 'Edit', 'Find' - desect 'Keys' and 'Values' in the 'Look at' - type in 'portable devices' in the 'Find what:' field [Hit Enter]
8. It should be found at 'EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A', possibly last subfolder in the 'Class' folder
12. If not, toggle back and forth between Media device (MTP) and Camera (PTP) on your Phone USB PC connection settings, the driver should install automatically - Finished. If you want to use Kies, you should now be able to launch Kies and it should connect automatically.
13. If you do not see UpperFilters in the 'Name' column .. Create it - Right click on the 'EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A' string
14. Select 'new' 'Multi String Value' .. name it 'UpperFilters'. Double Click on 'UpperFilters' - add the data field as 'anything really' (doesn't matter)
21. If not, toggle back and forth between Media device (MTP) and Camera (PTP) on your Phone USB PC connection settings, the driver should install automatically - Finished. If you want to use Kies, you should now be able to launch Kies and it should connect automatically.

Hope this helps!

this work for me! thanks

aliasss

Dec 24, 2009

To Fix Driver issue ...

Hope this helps!

but this not worked with win xp sp3 can you tell me how to solve it with xp sp3 please ! :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey people...
    Just wanted to post a solution to a problem apparently a lot of users are experiencing...

When you first attach your phone to the pc by USB, the drivers have to be installed. (Here is a good ressource, where you can always dowload the latest drivers extracted from the Samsung Kies Package: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1655286)

Now it could happen, that all of the drivers install successfully, but one of them, the "Samsung Mobile MTP Device", which cannot be installed, since there's always a CODE 10 (This device cannot start).

As I searched for quite a while for a working solution with no luck (there are different solutions, but none of them worked for me, as in my case it wasn't a faulty-driver problem...), i finally remembered a solution to a similiar case with a DVD-RW Drive. I tried the same process with my actual driver problem, and it worked right away... :good:

HERE's THE SOLUTION:
    1. Go to the Registry Editor (Start --> Run --> "regedit" --> [ENTER])
    2. Search the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
    3. If you click one of the few subkeys in class (e.g. {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}) you'll find the string value (Standard) on the right side with a value (e.g. DVD/CD-ROM-Drives)
    4. You have to find the value "Portable Devices" on the string value (Standard) (In my case {EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}, but I don't know if they are called always the same.
    5. Once found, you see a string value called UpperFilters --> DELETE IT!
    6. Finished! :) Now your Samsung Mobile MTP Device should be recognized and even installed correctly right away. (The name of the device changed to GT-I9100 (Devicemanager) in my case...)
    Here an explanation about UpperFilters and LowerFilters if you want to know more: http://djlizard.net/2007/04/30/230/

Maybe this short tutorial can save you some time... =)

Best regards to all of you!
    Samsung Mobile MTP Device Code 10 error - Fix

To Fix Driver issue ...

Hope this helps!
    Thank you for this, was trying to get a Samsung Galaxy Note to connect.
    After having to manually point it to the drivers folder, they installed but would not start.

The registry keys seemed a little different to how you described, I am on Windows 7 64-bit, but found:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}\
    Deleted the value "UpperFilters", plugged the USB back in, and it worked!

Now can happily sync using the Samsung Kies software.

( Note to others, backup first, right click the key tree you are editing, choose export. Run the .reg to restore any screw ups. )
    How I fixed the error. Another way to try.

Hi.

I found this with google over the site transformerforums.com /forum/guides-tips-tricks/34852-how-solve-mtp-issues-all-android-devices
    (I`m not allowed to post links here)

And i went into Settings > More > Application Manager > All

Look for Media Storage, and clear the data.
    Look for MTP Application, and clear the data.

After that, just to be sure, I restarted the device, and... (only after it all I realized I left the phone pluged on the PC, and seems not to make a difference). :p

After phone boot up, I unpluged and pluged back in, and all drivers installed the right way.

I hope it help some of you guys. :fingers-crossed:
    Update your windows media player

I am having Windows XP SP3 and I was experencing the same USB MTP installation failure, I updated my Windows Media Player and it fixed the problem. The option in Windows Media Player Help->Check for updates was not working, so I downloaded Media Player from Microsoft webiste and installed it and after that driver is now working fine.