Ask a question

No registration required

[Guide] Use stock Launcher with rotation

OP ejohnson0547

27th July 2012, 08:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 113

17 posts
I have tried some of the custom launchers from the store but was not that impressed with them. I still like the performance of the stock launcher but I just wanted it to rotate the home screen and allow portrait or landscape mode.

Well I found out you can do just that.

You need to be rooted to do this. I am using a fully stock Nexus 7 just adding Root to it. Follow the other guides on how to do this.

Note: NEW info...

Just add the following line to the file "local.prop" located at "/data/local.prop"
If this file is missing, just create a new one. You DO need to be rooted to create or edit this file.
Use ES File Explorer, turn on Root Explorer and Mount File System in the settings.

Navigate to the folder "/data/"
Press Menu, New, File, then name it "local.prop" (without the double quotes).

Add the following line to it in the editor...
Code:
launcher.force_enable_rotation=true
Also change to Tablet UI
If you want the full tablet UI just add the following line also to this file:
Code:
qemu.sf.lcd_density=160
The qemu.sf.lcd_density overrides the setting ro.sf.lcd_density in the "build.prop" file.

Then reboot your device.

Old method
Note, this method makes it more difficult on re-installs and OTA upgrades, because typically the build.prop file is upgraded or overwritten each time also. The new method above is retained as long as you do not wipe data.

All you have to do is edit your "build.prop" file located at "/system/build.prop"
I used ES File Explorer to edit this file, just turn on Root Explorer and Mount File System in the settings.

Just add the following line at the end:

Code:
Then reboot your device.

That's it! Hope this helps others.
Last edited by ejohnson0547; 6th August 2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added new local.prop method
The Following 110 Users Say Thank You to ejohnson0547 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th July 2012, 08:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

59 posts
Confirmed :P
27th July 2012, 09:42 PM   |  #3  
Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 61

628 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson0547

I have tried some of the custom launchers from the store but was not that impressed with them. I still like the performance of the stock launcher but I just wanted it to rotate the home screen and allow portrait or landscape mode.

Well I found out you can do just that.

You need to be rooted to do this. I am using a fully stock Nexus 7 just adding Root to it. Follow the other guides on how to do this.

All you have to do is edit your "build.prop" file located at "/system/build.prop"
I used ES File Explorer to edit this file, just turn on Root Explorer and Mount File System in the settings.

Just add the following line at the end:

Code:

That's it! Hope this helps others.

AWESOME!!! When I first did it, the rotation seemed a little hiccupy. Apps in the bottom disappeared and took a few seconds to reappear, but now its working fine. How do you figure this stuff out??

Edit: The play store doesn't really seem to like it now. Keeps acting weird. It wouldn't let me go anywhere else in the store while an app was downloading. Now that the download has stopped, its not glitching out anymore. I am trying to download another app, and while its downloading, it goes back to the earlier app that I was downloading and stays there. The screen is almost pulsating. Its hard to describe.

Second Edit: I force-stopped the play store and google play services, then rebooted. The glitch with the play store is now gone. But when I rotate from portrait to landscape then back to portrait, the apps disappear for a few seconds again and then reappear. Just an FYI.

Third Edit: Lock screen doesn't rotate.
Last edited by adamhlj; 27th July 2012 at 10:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamhlj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2012, 01:26 AM   |  #4  
Flag Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks Meter: 297

1,041 posts
More
It does work! Only thing is the bar on the left side that the icons pass through.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
28th July 2012, 04:51 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 13

86 posts
Works fine on liquidsmooth alpha 6

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
28th July 2012, 05:44 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 23

711 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phishn

Works fine on liquidsmooth alpha 6

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I didnt know Liquidsmooth builds were released gonna have to grab a D/L
28th July 2012, 06:00 AM   |  #7  
Flag STL
Thanks Meter: 8

182 posts
More
awesome. thank you.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhlj

AWESOME!!! When I first did it, the rotation seemed a little hiccupy. Apps in the bottom disappeared and took a few seconds to reappear, but now its working fine. How do you figure this stuff out??

Edit: The play store doesn't really seem to like it now. Keeps acting weird. It wouldn't let me go anywhere else in the store while an app was downloading. Now that the download has stopped, its not glitching out anymore. I am trying to download another app, and while its downloading, it goes back to the earlier app that I was downloading and stays there. The screen is almost pulsating. Its hard to describe.

Second Edit: I force-stopped the play store and google play services, then rebooted. The glitch with the play store is now gone. But when I rotate from portrait to landscape then back to portrait, the apps disappear for a few seconds again and then reappear. Just an FYI.

Third Edit: Lock screen doesn't rotate.

the lock screen appears to rotate for me...
28th July 2012, 06:22 AM   |  #8  
Flag Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks Meter: 297

1,041 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marclile

awesome. thank you.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

the lock screen appears to rotate for me...

Screenshot?

28th July 2012, 06:26 AM   |  #9  
Flag STL
Thanks Meter: 8

182 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmonke255

Screenshot?

although... i'm not running the stock rom, i'm running an AOSP rom. so that might be why.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-07-27-23-23-27.jpg
Views:	3473
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1226607  
Last edited by marclile; 28th July 2012 at 06:29 AM.
28th July 2012, 10:28 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 7

30 posts
Appears to be working perfect on CM10, thanks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread