Post Reply

Highly recommend Nova Launcher for S3

OP android94301

28th July 2012, 06:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 129
 
146 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Hey folks,

I highly recommend replacing the touch Wiz launcher with nova launcher. I have found it much more intuitive, and much easier to use. (I am not affiliated with Nova in any way.)

Several advantages:

1. The bottom bar (dock) of apps is highly customizable, with as many apps as you choose. You can also create multiple pages of docked apps, so it's possible to access 10 or 15 apps on the lower dock.

2. The App drawer is automatically alphabetized, unlike touch Wiz, which I find so much easier to use. There are of course workarounds on touch Wiz, but why bother? I just dock the icon for the app drawer on the lower dock so it's always available.

3. Nova has one step back up of your screen layouts so that if you are wiping your phone regularly in order to reflash ROM's, it's trivial to reset your screen layouts by doing a restore from nova. This saves a lot of tweaking time.

4. You can customize the layout of your desktop with variable margins, a persistent search bar on all pages, gestures, and with nova launcher prime ($4), you also get unread counts for SMS, missed calls, and Gmail, which is very nice.

5. Basically everything is customizable and modifiable. I greatly prefer it over the stock touch Wiz launcher. Check out the free version of nova, as it has virtually all the features other than the unread counts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to android94301 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2012, 06:18 AM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
I personally prefer apex but I can see the appeal in nova. They are pretty similar.
28th July 2012, 06:47 AM   |  #3  
lowg's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag nyc
Thanks Meter: 25
 
104 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5388

I personally prefer apex but I can see the appeal in nova. They are pretty similar.


I tried Apex but had a super annoying rendering hug that would display a box on the main home screen for a split second...

Not even considering that I spent a few hours tweaking Apex for a few hours (loved that it had so many options) but 90% of the Nova defaults were perfect for me and after going from Apex to Nova was convinced that it was right for me.
Sent from my Galaxy S3
28th July 2012, 02:35 PM   |  #4  
csyrell's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by android94301

Hey folks,

I highly recommend replacing the touch Wiz launcher with nova launcher. I have found it much more intuitive, and much easier to use. (I am not affiliated with Nova in any way.)

Several advantages:

1. The bottom bar (dock) of apps is highly customizable, with as many apps as you choose. You can also create multiple pages of docked apps, so it's possible to access 10 or 15 apps on the lower dock.

2. The App drawer is automatically alphabetized, unlike touch Wiz, which I find so much easier to use. There are of course workarounds on touch Wiz, but why bother? I just dock the icon for the app drawer on the lower dock so it's always available.

3. Nova has one step back up of your screen layouts so that if you are wiping your phone regularly in order to reflash ROM's, it's trivial to reset your screen layouts by doing a restore from nova. This saves a lot of tweaking time.

4. You can customize the layout of your desktop with variable margins, a persistent search bar on all pages, gestures, and with nova launcher prime ($4), you also get unread counts for SMS, missed calls, and Gmail, which is very nice.

5. Basically everything is customizable and modifiable. I greatly prefer it over the stock touch Wiz launcher. Check out the free version of nova, as it has virtually all the features other than the unread counts.

*1. Love Nova
28th July 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42
 
503 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowg

I tried Apex but had a super annoying rendering hug that would display a box on the main home screen for a split second...

Not even considering that I spent a few hours tweaking Apex for a few hours (loved that it had so many options) but 90% of the Nova defaults were perfect for me and after going from Apex to Nova was convinced that it was right for me.
Sent from my Galaxy S3

Have you tried Go launcher?
28th July 2012, 02:41 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Rochester
Thanks Meter: 19
 
118 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Just fyi... the "work around" to get the app drawer alphabetized is clicking the menu button with the app drawer open and then clicking, "view type" and switching to alphabetized. Not exactly complicated. Or even a work around.

Nova is great, but I'm actually enjoying touchwiz. I do want to switch over and play with nova more... But eh, not seeing a huge need. Coming from sense (which I hated) I'm quite happy on tw.

Though I do miss being able to back everything up

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fadingintofall For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2012, 02:44 PM   |  #7  
doeboy711's Avatar
Senior Member
Owings, MD
Thanks Meter: 177
 
1,061 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
Donate to Me
More
How does ADW work on it. I have been rocking them for a while. I am picking my S3 up next weekend when I get back in town. My wife already has hers though and she is rubbing it in my face lol.
28th July 2012, 02:49 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Rochester
Thanks Meter: 19
 
118 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
adw for ics is apex, is it not?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
28th July 2012, 02:50 PM   |  #9  
juancaperez2000's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hyattsville
Thanks Meter: 142
 
1,547 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy711

How does ADW work on it. I have been rocking them for a while. I am picking my S3 up next weekend when I get back in town. My wife already has hers though and she is rubbing it in my face lol.

i start to use ADW ex on my old EVO and is really good launcher, by personal reasons i movo to iphone and now that i back to android i found more launchers, and Nova is really good maybe even better than ADW ex, IMO
28th July 2012, 03:01 PM   |  #10  
badseed767's Avatar
Member
Flag Covington, Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 30
 
91 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Donate to Me
More
Using Apex launcher plus. I tried Nova first, but Apex has a few more features. Just my opinion. Coming from my Dinc running Holo launcher after a VERY long run with LauncherPro (rip).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon Galaxy S III General by ThreadRank